Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Being Banned from the Barn ??

Just a Question are the people that have been Banned from the Barn is it for life or is there a time out type of Ban.
And is there any way to get some of them back?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Being Banned from the Barn ??

Bill, maybe a pm directly to Ryan would get you a response on this question.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
296 V8
BANNED

How do you expect the banned to answer
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Frank Miller

Most of these types of websites give you a time out. It takes a lot to get banned for life. Which the local paper seems to have done to me. I got off of here for a spell a long time ago due to hypocrisy of the moderator. It is amazing the emails I got from people saying what they would not say publicly. Also it is not too hard to create another identity so the usefulness of the bans is limited.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
BILL WZOREK

296 V8

DA DA DA DA I am asking so a answer could be understood by every one and if there was some sort of amnesty offered I would assume that they would be contacted of the offer of Amnesty by THERE friends.
I was just thinking that there are a few that are not here that have a lot of knowledge to offer,and unfortunately every day we loose some of that knowledge.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

JM
I thought that if it was asked in the forum & if answered we would all understand at the same time.
Just my thoughts.
After all we all have guestions other wise this forum would not be as interesting as it is.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
flatjack9

So who has been banned?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

I was wondering that myself.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

If they don't follow the rules they can be banned. Usually after a private warning. The rules aren't hard to follow.
If they have a lot of knowledge, so what? There are a lot of others with just as much or more knowledge who will step up to take their place and who can follow the simple rules.
Weeding out the problems makes a better forum.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

We have had two on the A forum that were banned mainly because they used every opportunity to add their political views to posts. They both were warned several times. One person had done alot over the years to help the hobbie the other one was just a dumb ass that I had blocked even reading the dribble he posted. Rod
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
uncle max

Wink Re: Being Banned from the Barn ??

Is it possible to be banned for poor spelling?
If so, 1/2 of us would be on the bus.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

So so rite Max.i would be on the bus with all the [spelling D-] on there report cards over the yrs. lol ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Flat Ernie

Bans can be either time period or life. Spammers would probably get a permanent ban by IP address. Most folks would get a PM warning or two. Moderators don't ban people lightly or willy-nilly - it is a deliberate process, often even requiring consultation between moderators. What one mod finds to cross the line, others don't. Actions that 'walk the line' of acceptable and unacceptable probably garner a user being watched a little closer, a warning or two given, and more observation.

The mods here do a good job - because you don't notice them. That's tough to do.

In this software, there is also a system to give warnings and infraction points. After enough accumulated points, a ban could be instituted. Not unlike most driver's licenses.

I don't think there's that much hooliganism here on the Ford Barn as there are on other of Ryan's websites. I think that's why there's less angst about banning - doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or couldn't, just it's a somewhat different crowd and far more homogeneous than other forums.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Most of these types of websites give you a time out. It takes a lot to get banned for life. Which the local paper seems to have done to me. I got off of here for a spell a long time ago due to hypocrisy of the moderator. It is amazing the emails I got from people saying what they would not say publicly. Also it is not too hard to create another identity so the usefulness of the bans is limited.
Frank - usually if someone isn't following the rules a Moderator will send that person a private message outlining what the rules are to follow etc. It takes more than once for anyone to be banned. Banning of Spammers is automatic. Ford Barn members it takes much more to ban and usually the reason is a continued trouble maker who does not post constructive things or personally attacks a member or a Moderator. Rules are pretty basic - post Ford topics - leave Politics and religion out and honor your deals in the classifieds - BOTH BUYER AND SELLER.
I have never banned anyone until after discussions with Ryan so believe me Admin and Moderators do take time to decide such things as banning.
As far as creating a new identity - usually the person uses the same computer that has it's own IP address. Happens from time to time, but what usually happens is with every personality old habits are hard to break and usaully that person can't help themself to repeating the same mistake. You guys all have post styles. believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
296 V8

DA DA DA DA I am asking so a answer could be understood by every one and if there was some sort of amnesty offered I would assume that they would be contacted of the offer of Amnesty by THERE friends.
I was just thinking that there are a few that are not here that have a lot of knowledge to offer,and unfortunately every day we loose some of that knowledge.
Bill - There area lot of knowledgable guys out there that unfortunatley from time get into heated arguments over who is right and ultimately their posts turn into negatives and then personal attacks on who is right.
Admin or Moderators either delete their posts, the whole post or close it and send messages to those who are attacking.
To put it in simple terms - sometimes older Lions are in compettion to see who can roar the loudest and it takes off from there.
Knowledgable people who have no social graces usually don't have too many friends for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
If they don't follow the rules they can be banned. Usually after a private warning. The rules aren't hard to follow.
If they have a lot of knowledge, so what? There are a lot of others with just as much or more knowledge who will step up to take their place and who can follow the simple rules.
Weeding out the problems makes a better forum.
Cool - yes that pretty much how it plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
We have had two on the A forum that were banned mainly because they used every opportunity to add their political views to posts. They both were warned several times. One person had done alot over the years to help the hobbie the other one was just a dumb ass that I had blocked even reading the dribble he posted. Rod
Politics and Religion seem to be issues with a few of you. I have had on many occasions sent private messages to those who feel the need to express their views. The loud lions seem to cover all things in life it appears.

Believe me when I say this - Ryan, Admin and moderators take banning seriously and those Ford Barn members who are banned have been warned multiple times and they pretty much know if they have been banned why.
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Ol' Ron

My spel cker iz brok, soze I got trble??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
BILL WZOREK

Cob:
Thanks for the input:
At no time did I think that there was not some sort of Process involved in Banning some one.
I for one am some one that likes to learn , most of my life it has been by the seat of my paints / trial & error not always having a successful turn out.
I felt the the more answers that are available the better this site gets.
That is why I like this forum we get many answers to the same Question.
Then it is up to me to decide what one is best for my application.
You can't beat real life as a teacher.
Once again Thanks Cob.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Retro Jim

On the HAMB I had a seller ripping me and a couple other people off !
I email Ryan and told him the problems . He email the seller and told him he had 3 days to reply . If no reply he was taken out of the system and can never come back again !
BTW , Ryan had to remove him from the system and all of his forms .

I also had a guy making BAD Racial comments with words posted you wouldn't believe and I was the second one that read the post . I emailed Ryan right away and he was also removed with in 5 mins ! Ryan and I email a few time about that comment and honestly couldn't believe what that person had posted .

So to your answer , Yes . When you are gone that's it from what I have been told .
You really have to do something really bad to be banned from the HAMB and his other forums ! Mostly from people selling parts and no one receiving them . Other than that if you say something you shouldn't have with in reason , Ryan or the Mods will send you an email and tell you what not to do again . They are all more than fair when it comes to things like that but will do what he must do if something goes wrong .

Ryan is a great guy with an open mind along with all his Mods , but will not accept some things ! You will get the email and hand slap but just don't be stupid !
***As for Religion and Politics there are special groups on the HAMB for those people to discuss their views that way .***

Jim

Last edited by Retro Jim; 11-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
hardtimes

Hey Cob,
THANKS to you and all mods for doing a thankless job well!
Hey Ryan,
Thanks... for letting those of us that follow your simple easy rules...to enjoy/share in your Fordbarn Forum!
BTW- IMO..not just 'some', but all of us have an interest in politics/religion in some form. 'Some' can not control themselves, ergo the problem comes up,eh!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

I GREATLY appriciate all that you do. I am glad the polotics and religious opinions are not allowed to over ride the issues dealt with on this site. Right now I only have two people on my blocked memebrs list. One active and the other one banned. After he was banned I left him on there incase he was at some point alowed to return. The active one I blocked it seemed we were heading for a running battle which I do not have time for with all that is going on away from Fordbarn. With his attacks on me prompted by another member that I will not name self dicipline is best for now and will deal with him after other challanges in life get alittle less. Rod
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
My spel cker iz brok, soze I got trble??
Only guys frum New England who spell yes- Ayuh like Maine-iacs,
and call me Caub instead of Cob get a pass.

Becauz IMA old New Englanda - I'll let the AHHHS slide.
BUT if you really want to make me happy send me some Lobsta's or Oystas or Steamas and I'll be your really good buddy.
Worked on a Lobsta boat when I was a kid.

Cob
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote