Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
RustyOleTruck

Default 1932 Firewall Blueprints

I'm creating a CAD model of a 32, pickup and truck for now, but it will grow into the full line eventually. I'm looking for original blueprints and technical drawings and am wondering if anyone here has some leads. The firewall is a very important start as its shape and dimensions are a foundation.

Thanks for reading.
RustyOleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Firewall Blueprints

A copy of the original engineering drawing for the firewall can be obtained at the Benson Ford Research Center at the Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI. There were four versions of it spread throughout the model year, but two of those involved minor changes and most likely the then-current drawing was marked up to reflect the change. In other words, there were likely two distinctly different drawings and perhaps, as is often the case in my experience, only the last version survives in the microfilm files.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

There is a company making the firewalls. Maybe if you convince them you are not a competitor they would sell you the blueprints. What is the intended use of the CAD model when it is finished? Although there were several small changes to the firewall during the year they all interchange.

Chaerlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
A copy of the original engineering drawing for the firewall can be obtained at the Benson Ford Research Center at the Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI. There were four versions of it spread throughout the model year, but two of those involved minor changes and most likely the then-current drawing was marked up to reflect the change. In other words, there were likely two distinctly different drawings and perhaps, as is often the case in my experience, only the last version survives in the microfilm files.

Thank you David, for the response. I have became familiar with three of the four versions in my hours of looking at pictures on the net. Two are recesses and the other protrudes beyond the hood lip. I will contact the Benson Ford Research Center and get the process started to obtain a copy. I really do appreciate your lead here, got me excited about it..
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
There is a company making the firewalls. Maybe if you convince them you are not a competitor they would sell you the blueprints. What is the intended use of the CAD model when it is finished? Although there were several small changes to the firewall during the year they all interchange.

Chaerlie Stephens

Thank you Charlie, I have thought about contacting United Pacific but I have had such lousy results in the past when contacting any type of business for this type of stuff. I normally do my CAD work for simulation but the 32 Ford, so far is just a for the enjoyment, but, depending on the quality when I'm finished, it could take any number of avenues. So far I'm really enjoying the build. For five minutes of actual CAD work I'm sure I spend at least two hours looking at pictures.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
DavidG

The fourth and last version lowered the hole for the drain hose from the cowl vent trough as shown in the photo below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 008.jpg (103.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Personally, if I were interested in accuracy I would only trust the documents at the BFRC. JMHO. I'm a library nerd so it's heaven to me.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
The fourth and last version lowered the hole for the drain hose from the cowl vent trough as shown in the photo below.

I'm not savi enough to see what you're talking about but that is the main version that I'm creating and I'm hoping that it is the one the BFRC has. I expect that making the other three should be relatively easy once I have a good base pattern..
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone. Personally, if I were interested in accuracy I would only trust the documents at the BFRC. JMHO. I'm a library nerd so it's heaven to me.

I agree, I have always had a fascination with old blueprints and technical drawings. If I were near the library, I'm sure I would be a regular.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
RustyOleTruck

Well, I found this page

https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...parts-drawings

and I'm enamored at the thought of what's behind the curtain. Any suggestions on a best method to proceed?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
DavidG

That's pretty well covered at the bottom of the page. You'll need the part number, which is B-35328-B or if you want all versions, just use B-35328. In your communication with the BFRC do not confuse the issue by continuing to use the term "firewall" as that was not in Ford's vocabulary at that time. The part name they used was "dash".

You may ending up needing Staples or the like as the drawing may be full size and very likely no less than 1/2 size. I do not believe that the BFRC has the capability to produce a paper copy of that size.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
That's pretty well covered at the bottom of the page. You'll need the part number, which is B-35328-B or if you want all versions, just use B-35328. In your communication with the BFRC do not confuse the issue by continuing to use the term "firewall" as that was not in Ford's vocabulary at that time. The part name they used was "dash".

You may ending up needing Staples or the like as the drawing may be full size and very likely no less than 1/2 size. I do not believe that the BFRC has the capability to produce a paper copy of that size.

Yes, it's covered well except that part where you came up with the part #. Where did you come up with it? There are many more drawings that I would like. I have lofted the fenders, it is a method of creation that enables a modeler to make fantastic shapes by flowing across a series of individually drawn lines. This is commonly used in the creation of ship and boat hulls by lofting the hull lines, which is something I have done a lot of. The fenders, especially the front fenders, are a symphony of shape and I'm hoping to get some cross sections to make them perfect.. The other hot item is the radiator shroud. Because of the tight corners at top and bottom it is not a great candidate for a loft, so I have swept the shape along two rails and I like how it has turned out but again, I would like cross sections for perfection..
Old 07-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
DavidG

Any part that was available individually as a service part is listed in either the 1932 version of the chassis parts catalog (which covered 1928 through 1932 chassis) or the body parts catalog. Both were widely reproduced and copies show up regularly on ebay and Amazon. (The 'dash' part number is in the body parts catalog, but fenders are listed in the chassis parts catalog.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 616.jpg (35.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 612.jpg (29.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #14
RustyOleTruck

Quote:
Any part that was available individually as a service part is listed in either the 1932 version of the chassis parts catalog (which covered 1928 through 1932 chassis) or the body parts catalog. Both were widely reproduced and copies show up regularly on ebay and Amazon. (The 'dash' part number is in the body parts catalog, but fenders are listed in the chassis parts catalog.)

Thank you David, for taking the time to show me how this works. I have worked in an arena for years where plans are as rare as hen's teeth so this is a whole new realm for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #15
DavidG

You're welcome!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #16
RustyOleTruck

Hello David, On the parts form it asks for a date of drawing as well. Is there a way to determine that from the parts catalogs?
Old 07-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
DavidG

No, that information is not in the parts catalogue. In a way, it is a remarkably stupid request as the only place the date(s) appear is on the drawings themselves.

Normally there are at least two dates per drawing, one when it was first drawn and a second when the part is designated as obsolete and no longer serviced.

Further, when a part is revised, as happened many times over the range of parts used in the production of the '32 and other model year vehicles and the drawing is revised rather than redrawn, the date of the revision is added to the list of dates on the drawing. If, for example, the dash (firewall) drawing was only revised and not redrawn it would have another three dates on the drawing (the dates appear in the upper right hand corner of the drawings) for a total of five. There is only one way that I am aware to ascertain what those dates were and that is to look at the microfilm or hard copy. So, how could they possibly expect someone like yourself to know those dates when they only appear on the document that you are requesting? Dumb, dumb, and dumber.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

David, would a general date like the year or year range be of any benefit? I have lots of experience with pulling aircraft drawings, but none with auto.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
DavidG

Not likely as the entire system was/is based on part numbers under a marvelously simple part numbering system created in 1928 that is still in use today. The microfilm files are in part number order.

While an active employee of Ford back in the day, I ordered dozens of original drawings printed off the microfilm files. The only date on the order form was the date of the order. B-prefix part number drawings such as that in question were created starting in 1931 (initially using the prefix '10'), then tapering off throughout the 1932 model year. As mentioned above, all of those drawings eventually marked as obsolete and with then-current date. In some cases, that was as soon as late 1932 or early 1933. An example of that would be the front axle when a new drawing was made because of the degree of change for the '33 version (it still carried a B prefix because it was functionally equal to the '32 version). That occurred again in late '33 with a new drawing for the '34 front axle version, but still with the B part number prefix and so on and so on. The same applies sequentially to 18, 40, 48, etc.-prefix component drawings as well.

If all the drawings of the front axle were committed to microfilm (most are, but not all from what I have found) they would all show up when someone ordered a copy of a B-3010 front axle drawing. At that point, the recipient could refer to the dates on the three drawings to get a general idea of when they went into production.

For more exact dating, one would have to delve into the engineering release forms which also exist on microfilm at the BFRC.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #20
Bubsyouruncle

David, your knowledge is beyond belief. May you live forever!
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote