Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default There arose such a clatter

Turns out it was my fan pulley. I had never lubed the hub with that slotted screw because I was in a hurry and couldn't get it out. 59ab fan setup on a 3 1/16 replacement block. Nice and quiet now with a dollop of stay-lube assembly lube and the rest 15-40 diesel oil. I'm guessing anything oily would have worked.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (77.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (77.5 KB, 212 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: There arose such a clatter

I don't know anything about those trucks - what is that thing in front of the radiator?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #3
Scotty's 52 F3

I'm glad that took care of it. You did an AMAZING job building that truck!
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
Mart

Nice one. Nice pics too. the truck looks very seasonal.

If you click the next button repeatedly it looks funny as you pick up / put down the sack.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Mac VP

Chances are there could be some excess wear to the spindle bearing or the shaft. If you can wiggle the fan assembly up and down, you might want to consider replacing at least the spindle bearing.

There is a very specific oiling procedure for those fans. This link helps explain that process.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ervicetips.htm

Not saying that your lubricant blend couldn’t work fine, but the factory recommended gear oil in these. Initially it was 30W motor oil but they changed the recommendation to 85W gear oil.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

GB,
I'd love to be there when you pull your WOODIE into a cruise.......that is a
major ride. Your own wood too ?
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
39portlander

A very nice woodie there GB and another thread that leaves you with more V8 service knowledge, thanks Mac.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Thank you Mac for the link. Thanks all for the comments. The maple body components for the woodie came from my usual supplier of hardwoods for my cabinet shop and is Eastern maple. The inset panels are birch veneer I vacuum pressed onto 6mm marine plywood. The framing between the truck's frame and body is local douglas fir I cut on my mill. Not really good hardwood country around here. I will rotate the fan to the six o'clock position to drain the excess oil and in the future top off with gear lube. I think I caught it early enough as the play is just a bit of end play. There was a fairly loud rumble that could be felt with a hand on the alternator. At first it was just at startup and recently more persistent. I have a couple of spare fan assemblies off of cracked engines that I can use if necessary. One thing about buying a 'lemon' engine once in a while is that they yield a lot of good spare parts.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
mhsprecher

"I don't know anything about those trucks - what is that thing in front of the radiator?"

It must have a name, but it is a structural piece that attaches to the front clip and holds the hood latch mechanism.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
mhsprecher

A timely tip, Mac. I am getting ready to put my fan back on my truck after installing new water pumps. I saw that screw and thought that it was for lubrication, but now I know for sure. Thanks!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
47COE

I found out about that the hard way too. With the COE's reduced clearance and fan shroud, I hadn't noticed that lube screw. Some years ago, the fan shaft seized and I had no choice but to learn about it.

After freeing it up, I used 30 weight oil to lube it. Based on Mac's info, I'll go back and use gear oil. It is currently out because I had my radiator re-cored.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
"I don't know anything about those trucks - what is that thing in front of the radiator?"

It must have a name, but it is a structural piece that attaches to the front clip and holds the hood latch mechanism.
On modern cars the radiator and front structural support is called a Header.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
On modern cars the radiator and front structural support is called a Header.
And it seems it is also part of the 'ducting' that directs airflow through the radiator. They make two versions of that part. The one shown is for V8s, and a shorter one is used for the six cylinder version.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Fordors

GB, just curious, did the early Ford closed car dovetails work out OK for you?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
GB, just curious, did the early Ford closed car dovetails work out OK for you?
I got bogged down with wiring turn signals, and now we have some rush work in the shop that needs to be done by the 15th, so the woodie is on the back burner for a little while. I did get a chance to study the parts and they look very promising. The male part for the door is the adjustable version and I'll just need to make a router jig to let in the housing for the female side into the door posts. If any woodie owner can post a photo on my 'truck based woody' thread, I'd like to see how Henry did it. IIRC, it seems they are mounted above the door latches. Thanks