Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1931 Coupe Banger Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I read of all the modifications, then I see--- 69, 72 mph. -----I would think that there should be more speed, ---- my stock car has gone 67 --- stock head, 3:78 rear, zenith carb, and I don't consider it to be at its best yet, don't have it to original specs and tolerances yet

Yeah, but yours is a 'slug' getting to at 67 mph. With the above mods, you experience the thrill of the acceleration, ...and to some folks, that is a major part of the experience.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #22
Juggler

Those speeds were done on sand. Wet sand
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

Cant argue with happiness Kurt. A friend asked me what was the best thing he could do to give his cabriolet a little more speed..I said without flinching a mitchell overdrive..he remained skeptical hemming a hawing about price and what he gets..then I took him for a ride in my car,and shifted from second low to second high,it was like a epiphany.its the same thing with mild modifications to the A engine,the results cant be explained,they have to be experienced.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #24
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I read of all the modifications, then I see--- 69, 72 mph. -----I would think that there should be more speed, ---- my stock car has gone 67 --- stock head, 3:78 rear, zenith carb, and I don't consider it to be at its best yet, don't have it to original specs and tolerances yet
On tarmac that'd be roughly my quarter mile terminal and still pulling hard. I've had a sat nav checked 85 over a mile when the engine was in my Fordor.

We've had a couple of stockish A's at Pendine. They'll normally hit just over 50.

Last edited by Hotrodfil; 07-11-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodfil View Post
On tarmac that'd be roughly my quarter mile terminal and still pulling hard. I've had a sat nav checked 85 over a mile when the engine was in my Fordor.

We've had a couple of stockish A's at Pendine. They'll normally hit just over 50.
A fella at Auburn hill climb pulled up in his fully dressed stock fordor with trunk,dropped his wife,put on his helmet and ran it through the trap,it ran nice.

What I find interesting is you can basically double the output of a model a engine without sacrificing longevity or money to do it.stick an overdrive or some gearing behind it with decent tires and compete with modern traffic,basically keeping the car valid,what it was designed for,inexpensive transportation...oh,and if you catch a kia napping you can teach him something for a few feet..
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #26
Bob Bidonde

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

First I want a reliable street runner with more torque for better acceleration. Second I want to cruise at 60 to 65 mph on the highway.

Years ago I had my Model "B" powered Coupe setup with a high lift cam, Mallory dual-point centrifugal advance and a single 94 on a Burns intake. The Coupe ran to 80 mph pulling hard, but wheel tamping and a bit of suspension shimmy made me back-off. In this configuration, I ran the Coupe from Long Island to Cape Cod cruising at 60 mph with my wife and luggage on board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bidonde's Coupe 2016 424kb.jpg (106.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #27
Railcarmover
BANNED

Left Bayshore 43 years ago..you better be able to scoot getting past the City.Those fools will kill you in a stock A.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #28
Juggler

If you value gas mileage/performance over period looks you could consider one of Sammy Guthrie's Weber carb conversions rather than a 97 or 94

I've got one of Jim's new Brierley heads at 7:1. Not tried it yet but it's a handsome bit of kit and should be plenty torques
Old 07-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #29
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
If you value gas mileage/performance over period looks you could consider one of Sammy Guthrie's Weber carb conversions rather than a 97 or 94

I've got one of Jim's new Brierley heads at 7:1. Not tried it yet but it's a handsome bit of kit and should be plenty torques
Both increased economy and a cooler running engine are the result of increased compression and accurate timing.The modern accelerator pump and efficient design of the 32/36 weber is superior to the old V8 carbs,Im experimenting with weber ICT's,they flow at 81 cfm,plan on running two of them..34mm venturi,diaphragm accelerator pump.Just picked up an ansen 2 carb intake with two bolt carb adapters,it was used to run two updrafts,Ill flip it to run them.

The stepped combustion chamber on Mr Brierleys head is where the money is.I got lucky,just bought a winfield red head (7 to 1 wedge) for the price with shipping of a Snyder head,still giddy over that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00f0f_isxZ1GdQO3p_1200x900.jpg (41.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #30
old31

I am currently running a 6.1 Snyder head.

Would I notice a sizable difference in going with a 7.1 head?

If so, would the difference be top end, or quicker take-off?
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I am currently running a 6.1 Snyder head.

Would I notice a sizable difference in going with a 7.1 head?

If so, would the difference be top end, or quicker take-off?
What are you currently running with the 6 to 1? the money spent for a 7 to 1 head might give more 'bang for the buck' spent elsewhere..assuming your engine is otherwise stock,an aries exhaust and weber carb /intake with the 6 to 1 would be better seat of the pants return than the compression increase to 7 to 1.The stock model A ford engine is under fueled.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #32
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
What are you currently running with the 6 to 1? the money spent for a 7 to 1 head might give more 'bang for the buck' spent elsewhere..assuming your engine is otherwise stock,an aries exhaust and weber carb /intake with the 6 to 1 would be better seat of the pants return than the compression increase to 7 to 1.The stock model A ford engine is under fueled.

I am setting up a "touring" engine shortly and have been hearing good things about the Weber system. I have no experience with the Weber carb and manifold supplied with it. With other after market carbs and manifolds, I see lots of contrived systems to provide heat to the intake manifold.
I note that the Weber system has no heat transfer from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. Are there any "too cold" issues when running these?
Thanks for any input...
Good Day
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #33
Jim Brierley

A friend in Escondido is running one of my heads, on a car he tours with. He removed a Snyder's 6:1, and reports more power and better gas mileage with my 7:1. BTW, my speedster with three Stromberg 81's gets great mileage!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #34
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I am setting up a "touring" engine shortly and have been hearing good things about the Weber system. I have no experience with the Weber carb and manifold supplied with it. With other after market carbs and manifolds, I see lots of contrived systems to provide heat to the intake manifold.
I note that the Weber system has no heat transfer from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. Are there any "too cold" issues when running these?
Thanks for any input...
Good Day
On the 32/36 weber that is listed in the kit my experience is no,they work well without dedicated heat.That carburetor has been used in Datsun and Vw applications as well,on the Vw manifold heat is used due to the length of the intake runner,icing occurs no matter what single carb you use.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #35
Juggler

Make sure any Weber you buy is the proper Spanish made original as supplied by Sammy and stocked by Snyders, and not the Chinese knock off...
Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #36
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post

Rail, I have a 4 speed, v8 clutch, lightened flywheel, model B carb, bored and ported intake and exhaust, larger intakes, Aries stainless exhaust, balanced crank, 6.1 Snyder head, Pertronix ignition.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #37
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Rail, I have a 4 speed, v8 clutch, lightened flywheel, model B carb, bored and ported intake and exhaust, larger intakes, Aries stainless exhaust, balanced crank, 6.1 Snyder head, Pertronix ignition.
Nice..sure add compression,you're breathing quite well.You will lose the stock look,7 to 1's don't hide like a Snyder,if that's important to you.