Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Don

Default Water blowing out exhaust pipes

Rolled frame into shop today after sitting in basement for couple years,started right up,but had water blowing out pipes,engine only has very few minutes run time on edmunds heads when should I retorque,hot or cold and what value
This is a 59 ab engine ,,,,if retorque doesn’t stop wTer from blowing out pipes,would stop leak work ????
Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Water blowing out exhaust pipes

How long did you let the engine run?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
ford38v8

How high's the water, Mamma?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
flatjack9

Retorque cold. Could just be condensation. Let it run awhile.
flatjack9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Every time I start mine after it sits for a period of time it blows water out of the pipes (as much as 1/16-1/8 cup on each side)
As stated, very possible just condensation that should stop after sufficient warm up.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
RalphM

I Torque aluminum heads to 45-50 ft lb, get it hot, let cool then torque. Repeat three times.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
50fordcoupeman

Probably condensation. Next time you are at a stoplight note how much water is coming out of evey ones tailpipe.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Don

Thought it might condensation also but let it warm up for what I thought was long enough .
Will retorque tomorrow and try again,the gaskets are composit so might pull down enough ...
Old 04-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
Don

Torque on heafswas good after cooling off,
Filled radiator and put bottle of Barr’s stopl leak in,ran for about 20 Mom, moisture appears to have slowed considerably !,,maybe just needed heated up!,,anyway the sealent is good for pumps and corrosion ..think it will be ok
Anytime I’ve had heads off just about any vehicle,,I’ve always addeded a bottle of Barr’s to be safe,,,
Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
51woodie

The muffler on my '46 rotted out from the inside. I went to a local muffler shop to source a direct fit replacement, and when I told the counter man about my muffler failure, he suggested I drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the muffler at the lowest point, just inside the rolled flange. It solved the problem of condensation build up inside the muffler, but now I get "exhaust spit" on the garage floor underneath the car when I start it.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
The muffler on my '46 rotted out from the inside. I went to a local muffler shop to source a direct fit replacement, and when I told the counter man about my muffler failure, he suggested I drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the muffler at the lowest point, just inside the rolled flange. It solved the problem of condensation build up inside the muffler, but now I get "exhaust spit" on the garage floor underneath the car when I start it.
My brand new car spits on the garage floor too!! At least I hope it is spit...........
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
Flathead Fever

If there is coolant in the engine and it is coming out the tailpipe the exhaust will have a sweet odor to it. You will also be loosing coolant out of the radiator. If the coolant was getting into the combustion chamber you would have white smoke pouring out the exhaust.

Please do not keep straight water in your engines! Your asking for trouble. Use a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze to prevent electrolysis when your cars are in storage or being driven. If you have coolant in the engine you should be able to tell if there is coolant coming out of the exhaust or if it just normal condensation.

The water that you normally see coming out of an exhaust is a normal product of combustion. The gasoline is a hydrogen carbon (HC) molecule. During the combustion process the hydrogen carbon molecule is broken down into the basic components. Then they combine with the oxygen molecule to create water (H20), carbon monoxide (CO) or carbon dioxide (CO2). How much of each depends on how rich or lean the mixture is.

You do not see the water coming out of the tailpipes when they are warm because the water is in an invisible vapor form. But when the exhaust is cold the hot water vapor condenses on the cold metal and turns back into a liquid. Then it runs out of the pipe and onto your garage floor and makes you start thinking you might have a problem. How much water you see run-out on the ground depends on the humidity and the difference in the temperature between the exhaust and the exhaust system.

The job of the catalytic converter is to rip apart those dangerous carbon monoxide molecules, hydrocarbon molecules and Nitrogen oxide molecules in the exhaust and reassemble the pieces back into harmless carbon dioxide, water. and nitrogen. Its a chemical process that happens instantly, its amazing. Because the catalytic converter creates so much more water in the exhaust system the pipes and muffler have to be rust proof. They hardly ever rust out anymore.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-11-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #13
Don

Good explanation!dont think I have replaced a muffler since back in the fifties!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
Tinker

Ah run it, if the motor is fine. Maybe run it more and ignore the condensation till the muffler gives out.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote