Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Water Pump Removal

I am preparing a presentation about removing the water pump from 1928, 1929 and 1930-'31 cars. My cars are 1931s, so I am sketchy about taking the pump out of 1928 and 1929 cars.
My questions are:
1. The fan shroud needs to be taken-off 1928 cars. Can the shroud be taken out of the car without removing the radiator?
2. Can the water pump be removed without removing the radiator in 1929 cars having the OEM water pump studs?
Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: Water Pump Removal

Am sure you will state radiator removal is mandatory when a 4 blade fan is installed.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Am sure you will state radiator removal is mandatory when a 4 blade fan is installed.
Actually it is not . You can take two approaches. If your goal is to replace the water pump then you can do it but replace the 4 blade with the new aluminum 2 blade fan. Since you don’t care about the pump and are replacing it anyway I have used a saws all many times to just cut the pump in half to remove. It’s a lot less evasive to the car both electrically and mechanically.
I put a large towel down to catch shavings and then blow clean with the air gun when done. Quick and easy ! The old fan is still salvageable to be used by someone else if desired .

If you really want the 4 blade if it’s a bolt on you can remove the blades by unbolting and then remove conventionally. If you are stuck on saving the old pump but are replacing the fan a cutoff wheel will remove two opposing blades for conventional removal.
Larry shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
wmws
BANNED

Cutting the water pump in half sounds rather drastic to me. It is a simple enough job to take the radiator off or maybe even just lean it forward to do the job.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
larrys40

I work on model A’s by occupation . It’s not , consider the fact of radiator hoses disturbed, unless replacing, electrical wiring of the headlamps and horn and the hornets nest that can be, not to mention hood alignment etc and the fact of taking the hood on and off . My way is vastly less evasive to the car, quicker, and gets he job accomplished . I don’t have to charge my customers as much either . If there’s a reason to then yes I do it but just to save the water pump or think it’s too “drastic “ is not a good enough reason. How many of you guys have water pumps in your garage that you took off but haven’t done anything with ?
Also, the new pump castings are excellent and have good meat at the back boss.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Russ/40

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It does seem drastic, but I tend to agree, i'd rather not disturb everything. I question though, can you get the new one on without taking the hood off and leaning the radiator forward?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Joe K

28-29 shroud CAN come off but doesn't have to.

Removing the upper hose (this can be a challenge all by itself) allows one to "tilt" the radiator forward once the radiator/hood rods are removed, which is easy enough all by itself. You can unbolt the upper hose connector - but then you have to re-torque in place and run the risk of breaking an ear. New hose much cheaper & easier.

Four blade fan might be tight - but I can imagine it can be done. I've done two no problem.

I would today cut off the water pump bolts with a Dremel. (I didn't then with 2 blade fan) Loosen & remove nuts and pry pump off its seat as much as you can. Then Dremel cut and use a vice-grip on the bolt stub remaining. Replace bolt studs with combo faux bolts for appearance. Use teflon tape on the bolts.

Joe K
Old 03-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Bruce of MN

This has info: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...op#post1551270

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote