Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default 55 F100 Kingpins

Left side of my truck is not loose, but too tight. Need a prybar to turn it. I see the diameter of the kingpin for my truck is .861. The top of my current kingpin protrudes above the spindle, and is larger than the diameter of the kingpin. I have a C clamp type ball joint press that fits over the top of the kingpin. Is there a shoulder on the top of the kingpin that rides on the spindle, or would it just be a separate washer? My C clamp fits over the protruding top, but not much past that. If there is a shoulder, then my pressing action wouldn't be doing anything. I have been heating and beating with bottle jack at bottom of pin, but no movement so far. Axle is still installed. I hope you can decipher my explanation. Thanks for any help.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 55 F100 Kingpins

I never worked on one of that model, but earlier Ford axles had a tapered stud the went through to hold the spindle in place. The nut was the turn stop.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: 55 F100 Kingpins

Look BPN 3122 -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg King Pin - 1952-56 F100.JPG (44.6 KB, 66 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
tommyleea

Thanks..The lockpin is removed, but kingpin is being stubborn.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
rotorwrench

It must have either corroded up pretty bad or it galled some metal up into the clearance between the pin & parts. I would try to see if I could free it up some with heat and penetrants. If you can get the spindle to turn & blow some of the crap out through the zerk holes, at least that part won't be making pin removal tough. It would just be the pin in the axle eye. You can apply a lot more heat to the end of the axle without damaging it. The jack screw method may work OK but it might gall further if that's what is going on in the clearance between the parts.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It must have either corroded up pretty bad or it galled some metal up into the clearance between the pin & parts. I would try to see if I could free it up some with heat and penetrants. If you can get the spindle to turn & blow some of the crap out through the zerk holes, at least that part won't be making pin removal tough. It would just be the pin in the axle eye. You can apply a lot more heat to the end of the axle without damaging it. The jack screw method may work OK but it might gall further if that's what is going on in the clearance between the parts.
Your method worked great. Heat and grease instead of heat and beat. I can now move the spindle with two fingers. Amazing...Thanks
Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
tommyleea

Now I need a new Lockpin..Macs has one with alternate part number of B3122, but application show only up to 1948. Any ideas where to get a lockpin for my 55, or do you think the one at Macs would work? I mention the alternate part number, because the illustration from Kultulz lists the part number as 3122.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: 55 F100 Kingpins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post

Now I need a new Lockpin..Macs has one with alternate part number of B3122, but application show only up to 1948. Any ideas where to get a lockpin for my 55, or do you think the one at Macs would work? I mention the alternate part number, because the illustration from Kultulz lists the part number as 3122.
B 3122 is correct (1948-56). Vendor cataloging is usually not precise or informative.

You just freed the pin up and did not replace?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
B 3122 is correct (1948-56). Vendor cataloging is usually not precise or informative.

You just freed the pin up and did not replace?
Thanks and yes..Turns free and I don't notice any slop. Other side is good.