Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Lil Nick

Default Identifying fenders for the correct year/model.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but I wish to source some origional fenders for my 29 Closed Cab Pickup.
Is there any clear pointers you can help me with regarding the differences between the front and rear fenders for a 29 against a 30/31, and any identifying features of fenders for the 1929 Closed Cab Pickup
I don't want to purchase incorrect fenders and realise after that they are for the wrong year/model after its too late.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Lil Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Identifying fenders for the correct year/model.

Well, the easiest way that I spot from a distance is the 28/29 fender has little stands (over the top of where they bolt to the frame) because they use hood shelves. The 30 & 31 fenders are more rounded. The way I quickly spot the rear fender year difference is in the area where the body (splash) apron attaches to the fender.

There are SO many other minor differences that you really should know but is really too complicated to write all of them here. Might I suggest you find a show where several different Model-As are and take pictures so you can visualize/compare when you are ready to purchase your fenders?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Napa Skip

As a ROUGH guide to identifying passenger/pickup fenders, here is what I use. Others with more knowledge will (hopefully) provide corrections/additions:

Front Fenders:
1. 1928-1929 all – distinguished by the raised areas on the inside lip for the hood shelf.
2. 1930 all – incorporates the “nose” section of the 2-piece running board splash apron.
3. 1931 all – no incorporated “nose” section inasmuch as running board splash apron is 1-piece.

Rear Fenders (see Notes a & b below):
1. 1928-1929 coupe, roadster, cabriolet & narrow-bed pickup.
2. 1928-1929 Tudor, Fordor & Town sedans, phaeton & station wagon.
3. 1930-1931 coupe, roadster, cabriolet & narrow-bed pickup.
4. 1930-1931 Tudor, Fordor & Town sedans, phaeton, Victoria, A400 & station wagon.
5. 1930-1931 Deluxe phaeton
6. 1931 Wide-bed pickup

Notes:
a. The distinction between 1928-1929 and 1930-1931 rear fenders is the “cutout” area at the front inner corner where the fender meets the running board and splash apron. Both cutout areas are ~ 9” long, but the 1928-1929 cutout area is narrower (~ 1-1/2”) and more rounded at the upper outer corner than the 1930-1031 area (~ 3” wide and "squarer").

b. The distinction between coupe/roadster/cabriolet/narrow-bed pickup rear fenders and the sedan/phaeton/station wagon rears is that at the crown of the fender (“top”) the former are wider (~ 12-1/2”) than the latter, which curve inwards (away from the body) to accommodate a different quarter panel.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 10-07-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correct error in #3 for front fenders caught by foxfire42
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Lil Nick

Hey Skip, that's really helpful, many thanks. Thank you also to Brent. I did exactly what you suggested and visited an Open Day of a collector of vintage Fords that's is pretty local to me. He probably has around 100 cars mostly from the 20-40's and many are commercial or pickups due to the nature of his business. Surprisingly, the only vehicle I couldn't find was a 28-29 Closed Cab to do comparisons with. He had everything but.
But with the help of your information I will continue to look at the comparisons. It just helps to have enough information to guide you in the right direction of what to look for.
Thanks guys.
Lil Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
foxfire42

Skip, Great and very useful list.

#3 on FRONT fenders.........Should that be for 1931?

Thanks for the info on the rears. My rears don't fit the woody, Now I'm going to look for for the correct ones. I'm sure glad they came on several different cars and VERY glad I don't need to find ones for the Wide Bed.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Napa Skip

foxfire42 - nice catch (I suppose I could say that it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention, but that probably wouldn't fly very far). See change to original post. Thanks again.
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Napa Skip

Deluxe phaeton rear fenders: a reader of this thread correctly asked (via PM) about rear fenders for the deluxe phaeton. I do not have any experience with phaetons nor is my Model A knowledge broad enough to directly speak to this question, but looking at (among other things) Bratton's 2012 catalog, I see that there is a separate listing for deluxe two door phaeton rear fenders, so I have added them as a stand-alone item to post #3 above.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can respond with how to distinguish phaeton (as well as 1931 wide-bed pickup, for that matter) fenders from the other 1930-1931 fenders.
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------