Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 1929 Closed Cab Pickup Door Glass.

Nick,

If you haven't already...get a copy of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards...that will be a great asset to your restoration.

ALSO, I know you are working on an "A"...but join the Ford Model AA Truck Club and get the yearly booklet that Neil Wilson puts out. In a few of those issues he has done considerable research on the 28-29 Closed Cab.

Here is the website: 4. www.fmaatc.org Ford Model AA Truck Club (National Club) (FMAATC)

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
Juggler

I'll second Pluck's recommendation re the AA club. The club's magazine The Double A'er (doesn't seem to do it justice to call it a newsletter, or even a booklet) is an excellent publication.

You a member of the Model A Ford Club GB?
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
I'll second Pluck's recommendation re the AA club. The club's magazine The Double A'er (doesn't seem to do it justice to call it a newsletter, or even a booklet) is an excellent publication.

You a member of the Model A Ford Club GB?
You are 110% absolutly correct on that statement Juggler. Neil does an EXCELENT job with the publication.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
Lil Nick

Guys I really appreciate all the help and advise offered which is invaluable.
Lil Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Neil Wilson

FYI - I bought my 82-A closed cab glass from Bert's in Denver (laminated for the windshield and safety for doors and rear). They already know and have the correct sizes.

Attached is a picture showing the installation of the door glass and channel assembly (with weather strip installed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xA-79935-36 Door Glass & Channel Assembly 2c2.jpg (62.1 KB, 65 views)
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #26
wrndln

Neil,
Did you already have the metal channels for the glass to fit in or did you buy new ones? I called Bert's to see if they had any good metal channels recently and they said not at the present. I have heard that the repros are very authentic, but have never see one. Also where did you get the rubber weather strip that slides between the metal channel and the glass?
Thanks,
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
Lil Nick

Great info Neil, all the things I need to know before attempting to replace the poorly fitting glasses currently on the cab.
Lil Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Lil Nick
Do you have a copy of the Ford Service Bulletins? There is a page - 250 that has drawings and dimensions of the various glass used in model A's. The information is for 1928 model A's, however a 28 and 29 pickup or AA truck cab are the same. As a summary, the 28 AA truck (same as a 28/29 CC pickup) the door window glass height is 19" to 19 1/16" one one side and 19 7/8" to 19 15/16" on the other side and the width is 25 7/16" to 25 1/2". I don't quite understand why the two sides are a different length, but that is what the bulletins show. The corners are rounded so as not to "dig" into the side window strips and the edges are polished. It also shows the bottom edge has the glass slightly beveled to 45 degrees to make it easier to install in the metal window regulator channel.
Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
Lakeville, MN
I am currently working on my 28 CCPU door glass and made a template to these dimensions.

I find that the higher back side is a little too high by about 1/8th inch and there seems like there should be a slight crown on the top edge of about 1/8th inch.

Both my doors are almost perfect originals and both have a slight upward curve across the top.

Is the glass that vendors sell straight across at top?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #29
Joe K

I hope you're using "Safety" (sandwich) glass or at least "tempered" glass which I have less experience with.

The windshield was made with the sandwich glass on the original trucks and automobiles (this after an accident with one of the engineers during a test drive where he was very seriously hurt by the plate glass being used in the development of the Model A - His name Hicks I believe) The doors and the rest of the glass were originally plate glass though.

Most Model A users who drive choose to install safety glass of one form or another. I believe it is not marked down on fine point even, although they tend to be ultra fussy on the details you strive for. Fine point have been known to paint the edge of the glass with green felt tip markers to mask the seam on the sandwich glass.

And I can verify the original side glass was NOT safety as I found several pieces of broken glass in the bottom of my truck door cavities on disassembly. This glass I measured at 0.187 IIRC. (i.e. in the range specified.)

Good luck.

Joe K
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #30
pooch

Yup, making templates for computer cutting and heat tempering to make solid safety glass, (called armour plate in the old days here) so there will be no "plastic sandwich" visible.

Just I reckon the size as 19 inches front edge 19 3/4 back edge and 1/8th upwards crown across top.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote