Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
zoegrant

Default An untactfull situation

I have a problem with my new Westach tachometer.
It is giving me erroneous information..first let me say how I have it hooked up.
This tach has two wires.

one wire of the tach is hooked up to the NEGATVE side of the coil. There is an independent wire not a tach wire but a wire from the NEG coil to the back of the distributor. I think that the tach uses the distributor wire as a ground as both the tach wire and the distributor wire are hooked to the same NEGATIVE coil terminal.
the other wire is hooked to the POSITIVE side of the coil.

I have tried switching the two wires around in the back of the tach. Still reads incorrectly. At idle, track reads 2500 rpm and when doing 35mph tach reads over 5000 rpm.
I have contacted the teck guy at Westach but haven't been able to cure the problem.
This is a 6v tach on a 6v electrical system....
Any suggestions ??
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: An untactfull situation

does the tach have a knob or switch ? some have a knob, switch, or screw driver head that can be turned to select 4, 6, or 8 cylinder operation. if the switch is in the wrong position it will read like you describe. usually the knob/switch is under the mounting cone, and the cone needs to be removed to set it to the proper position. I am not familiar with your tach. does it have any directions with it. maybe contact the manufacturer , The probably have a tech help line.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
zoegrant

Alaska Jim...the tach does not have anything that would allow a switch to a 4,6,8 cylinder selection.
There are directions supplied by Westach for a 6v positive ground system.
Spoke with Westach a couple of times but he said it should work if hooked up like they said in the directions.
I am trying to figure a way to post their directions as they sent the directions as an email.

Last edited by zoegrant; 03-14-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #4
Alaska Jim

It has been awhile since I hooked up an accessory tach, but I think I remember the wire to the coil goes on the side that goes to the dist. and the other goes to ground (anywhere) if you only have 2 wires. if you have 3 wires one of the 2 that do not go to the dist side of the coil would go to a hot (power) source for a light in the tach. and the other to a ground. if you have the wire that goes to the coil on the wrong side , it may give the readings you have, not sure. I guess I have been retired to long. can't remember what I used to know
Old 03-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
zoegrant

Jim...there are two connection pins on the back of the tach. One pin is marked #2 and the wire that is hooked to that pin goes to the positive side of the coil which also has a wire going to the distributor.
The other pin on the back of the tach is marked #5 and that wire goes to the negative side of the coil.
I believe the wire from the positive post of the coil that goes to the distributor must act as ground....
This hookup is for a positive ground connection...
if anyone has any ideas I am open to them....
Old 03-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
miker98038

Don't know if this helps, but it's a 2 wire marked #2 and #5. It shows #5 going to a ground, and separated from #2.

Edit. I can't get the diagram to upload, but I found it by googling "2 wire tach"

A number of diagrams came up, I clicked "view all" and found it.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegrant View Post
Jim...there are two connection pins on the back of the tach. One pin is marked #2 and the wire that is hooked to that pin goes to the positive side of the coil which also has a wire going to the distributor.
The other pin on the back of the tach is marked #5 and that wire goes to the negative side of the coil.
I believe the wire from the positive post of the coil that goes to the distributor must act as ground....
That doesn't sound right to me.
Is the car actually wired for Positive or Negative ground?
Which terminal on the ignition coil in the car gets power from the Ignition switch, Plus or Minus, and which ign coil terminal connects to the Points in the distributor? (just double checking)

The tach is getting 'power' from two different sources and doesn't seem like it has a ground. Unless there is another internal(?) terminal for 'ground' that is connected thru the housing of the Tach to the body of the car.
Connecting the only two wires of the Tach to both terminals of the ignition coil might be creating some sort of low level short circuit of the ignition system???
The Tach is probably confused if it's mis-wired, I'm confused too.

I'd like the see the instruction sheet that came in the box with it.

(edit) looking at the wiring diagram miker98038 posted below (IF it's the same as the one you have) the wire on terminal #5 goes to Ground, not the Negative terminal of the ignition coil (which should be power coming from the Ignition switch).

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-16-2020 at 12:48 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
miker98038

Another try. Top diagram. A little blurry. #2 at top of tach, 5 at bottom. 2 connects to the coil, but I can't read which side. The #5 goes to ground, and I think shows a 1/8" separation between wires.

I couldn't link it, or clean it up. I finally had to print and scan it back to myself to get this far. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA231A5D-72DD-44EF-A18A-CF4618A9E01E.jpeg (18.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by miker98038; 03-15-2020 at 11:25 PM.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:02 AM   #9
Alaska Jim

like I said before , if you only have 2 wires, one wire will go to the dist. side of the coil, and the other to a ground source. not the other side of the coil. only one wire will go to the coil
Old 03-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
40cpe

What is the model number of the tach you are trying to hook up?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
zoegrant

40cpe...it is a Westach model 2ct54-6v
Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
40cpe

Westach has a website with a list of instructions but i don't see that model in the instructions list.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
zoegrant

4ocpe...I am in touch with Westach and have just packaged up the tach to send to them. They did send me the instructions for a 6v positive ground system.
Will report back when I know more...
Old 03-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
40cpe...it is a Westach model 2ct54-6v
I found their online instruction page for that tach.
First image below and at this link...
http://www.westach.com/instructions/2CT54-6V.jpg

The connections are... the wire from Terminal #2 of the tach should be added onto the "+" terminal on the ignition coil that connects to the points in the distributor. (2nd image)
Or, onto the stud terminal on the side of the distributor where the wire from the coil "+" terminal and wire to the points meet. (3rd image, if so equipped) They are either end of the same wire.

The wire on Terminal #5 of the tachometer goes to a convenient Ground connection on the: block, intake manifold, head, the body of the car, etc. You may be able to connect it where the "+" / Plus battery cable connects to the engine block or where the car Body ground strap connects to the engine, Or any body sheetmetal under the dashboard, depending on how long the supplied wire is.

FYI... there is a note on the instruction page that the two Tach wiring connections may be reversed for a "steady reading" if needed. This also means the Tach is not polarity sensitive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CT54-6V tach wiring diagram.jpg (53.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 6v ignition wiring diagram.jpg (35.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 55 dist , Ign coil connection.jpg (71.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #15
40cpe

Quote:
zoegrant; You are correct to connect #2 terminal to the terminal on the coil that goes to the distributor. As others have said, the #5 terminal must be connected to a ground. A ground is a wire connected directly to the metal on the engine. You state that you have #5 connected to the minus side of the coil, which is the hot wire from your ignition. That wire must be connected to a solid metal piece on the engine. If you have done that disregard this post, I just haven't seen where you have connected it correctly.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #16
zoegrant

40cpe..I was going to ship the tack back tomorrow. I will unpack it and try grounding the #5 wire to the engine and will get back to you with the results.
The instructions received from Westach show both wires to the coil on a {positive} ground setup. With the wire that goes to the distributor being used as a ground.
The {negative} ground setup shows the #5 grounded as you say. Cant hurt to try it.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #17
zoegrant

dmsfrr...your diagram of the tach hookup from Westach is different than what was sent to me...I wll try setting the tach up as per diagram. will report back...thanks
Old 03-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
zoegrant

instructions from westach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #19
zoegrant

40cpe...dmsfrr...the above instructions is what I received from Westech
Old 03-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
40cpe

The diagram sent to you shows the ignition switch between the coil and the distributor. That is enough to destroy its credibility for me. That sure isn't like the instructions posted by dmsfrr. I can see where it would be confusing. At least the instructions sent by dmsfrr has the model number of your tach on it. Hang in there, you will get it done!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #21
dmsfrr

Quote:
instructions from westach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
The diagram sent to you shows the ignition switch between the coil and the distributor. That is enough to destroy its credibility for me. That sure isn't like the instructions posted by dmsfrr. I can see where it would be confusing. At least the instructions sent by dmsfrr has the model number of your tach on it. Hang in there, you will get it done!
I agree.
The hookup drawing that came in the box is obviously incorrect, and certainly doesn't match the more official looking instruction sheet for that model shown on their website.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-17-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #22
zoegrant

I ordered a new wiring harness for the tach made up in the length I need so I will not have to solder anything....Maybe my solder joint was screwed up ?
Anyway, If the tach still does not work I will send the tack in to Westech to have them test it...They seem to want to help me get this situation worked out...Will post as things move along. I am still open to ideas....