Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Bonniewwyn

Smile '49-'53 Distributor Questions

I have a newly built '51 Merc engine that was built with reliability and performance in mind. I have a very nice original Henry dizzy and was thinking about going Pertronix but I have heard they can be unreliable. Would original be better. Budget is somewhat limited as spent a ton of $ on motor and chassis. Motor is bored 1/8", Offy pistons, 400 R cam, Offy 425 heads dual Offy carb set up the usual balance job etc. Wife wants to run air conditioning so clearance to pump and alternator to be considered and Oh yes all going into a '31 Ford A Victoria. Thanks guys !
Bonniewwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: '49-'53 Distributor Questions

I would ditch that original dist and install one of Babba's Chevy dist. That 8BA dist will never run right with your engine, there is no machinal advance in that dist, only the vaccum advance and will never work right with that performance stuff in your engine. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bonnie,
In my humble opinion the best distributor for your motor is the GM Delco
used in mid 70 chevys remachined for use in 8ba flatheads. I've sold many of these
beauties to guys in your area.....I'm from the Buffalo area not too far from you.
Aside from the very reasonable cost the great feature is the infinate tunability of
these distributors without the need to remove from the motor. Bubbas hot rod shop
in Speedway Indiana builds these conversions as well and is far better known than I
am. PM me and/or Bubba for more on this.
5000 rpm no problem, 6 or 12 volts no problem, replacement parts no prpblem.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
CT AV8

I've been there. The only way an 8ba will run right with original distributor is with the original Holley and vacumn source. I tried with a 4 bolt Merc intake manifold and Rochester 2g and could not get it to run well. I got one of Bubba's and problem solved. Charlie NY also puts together a good unit.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniewwyn View Post
I have a newly built '51 Merc engine that was built with reliability and performance in mind. I have a very nice original Henry dizzy and was thinking about going Pertronix but I have heard they can be unreliable. Would original be better. Budget is somewhat limited as spent a ton of $ on motor and chassis. Motor is bored 1/8", Offy pistons, 400 R cam, Offy 425 heads dual Offy carb set up the usual balance job etc. Wife wants to run air conditioning so clearance to pump and alternator to be considered and Oh yes all going into a '31 Ford A Victoria. Thanks guys !
Good advice from smart people in these post, pay attention!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
flatjack9

You can't go wrong with Charlies's conversion.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Deuce Man

Many years ago I aquired a built merc flathead from a good friend. In disgust he tore it out of his newly purchased, restored 50 merc. He told me it ran like garbage and no matter how much he tried he couldnt make it better. Culprit was the original Loadamatic distributor with two Stromberg 97s. i put in one of those Mallory things, now at least it was running and drivable. I knew that this motor should rum a lot better, so I had Bubba build me one of his cut down chevy units. Now I could run lots of initial advance, and still accelerate up a hill or pass somebody with out sounding like I was going to knock the tops off the pistons. If I set the timing on the centrifugal only Mallory to where it would not ping, the performance was flat. I have said a few times before in other posts that this distributor was probably the biggest single horsepower gain I have felt on this motor. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The biggest problem won't just be the distributor. 8BA engines are a tight fit in the model A cars. The water pumps set farther forward than the 59A series of engines and earlier. The best way to deal with the fit is to convert the front of the engine for a crab type distributor and early type pumps 37 thru 48. A person can get a fan in there better but the other problem is getting a compressor to fit in there along with a fan & gen or alternator unit. It is going to be a new experience getting all that stuff in there. If the firewall is flipped or recessed it will make more room but not a lot. You have your work cut out for you for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
CT AV8

I agree with Rotorwrench it's a tight fit but can be done without messing up the firewall. I would forget about the a/c.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (78.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (66.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (84.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (49.4 KB, 65 views)
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
Bonniewwyn

Smile Re: '49-'53 Distributor Questions

Wife is adamant that will have air in this car as we will be moving to Tampa area in next yr or so and it will be HOT and muggy. All our other rides are topless so I was advised by both Pete & Jakes and Brookville to mig in a 4" recess box made by Brookville. I was going to run a T 5 gear box but a bad knee has been giving me grief lately and I hate to admit it but maybe an AOD Ford might be way to go as Florida traffic is stoplight to stoplight. I guess the early water pumps are the way to go. '37 to 48 type.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
flatjack9

With the early pumps, the belt will interfere with that distributor.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

It's quite easy to run a GM distributor with the early water pumps. The belt clears the distributor when a 1/4" Shim is behind the generator. The misalignment of the belt, does not affect wear of the belt. You can evenn use the original fan. However in most of these swaps an electric fan in front of the radiator is best.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Bonniewwyn

Smile Re: '49-'53 Distributor Questions

I will be running an alternator .... will there be an interference ? Anyone familiar with the set up by Vintage air that is alt, compressor, both pumps, idlers and crank pulley ??? Interference with the dizzy ?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniewwyn View Post
I will be running an alternator .... will there be an interference ? Anyone familiar with the set up by Vintage air that is alt, compressor, both pumps, idlers and crank pulley ??? Interference with the dizzy ?
We have shipped over 1000 of these units and yes there can be clearance issues. Mostly caused by using different water pumps etc.
Best case issue is to just install a unit and see what it needs for clearance..
There are other options and one would be to use a old school mallory that has small cap. These are also available as a option.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Mike51Merc

The original load-a-matic distributor and the original carburetor are basically a matched set. If you swap carbs, you need to swap distributors.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote