Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #61
mshmodela

Default Re: Manners... A new rule...

So far, looks like folks are getting the message about be polite..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #62
WestCoast

Ok guys, you got the message, play nice or Ryan will use the nuclear option, and I guess you all know what that is
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #63
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
So far, looks like folks are getting the message about be polite..
Looking at past stats, almost 98% of reported posts were posted by only 14 people. Think about that. That's nuts... So, I started by targeting those 14 people.

Many of them were banned outright and others I let slide but started to watch very carefully. This included looking at their post history... Soon, I noticed many of these guys started editing/deleting their past offensive posts. So, I have taken that function away for a while.

Essentially, I'm smoking out the people that don't respect the joint... and, it has worked really, really well.

The rest of you guys are AWESOME.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #64
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I always knew you liked me !!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I always knew you liked me !!!!
Don't kid yourself.............it's only for the GRIT.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #66
old31

MMMMM, I didn't realize the report button was so valuable. It kind of gives you a sense of power.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #67
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
MMMMM, I didn't realize the report button was so valuable. It kind of gives you a sense of power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IeD7gpvgpY Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #68
old31

Cool video, great musician.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #69
Ed

Thanks Ryan. It is really unfortunate that you have to tell people to behave. This should be common sense. However, sometimes common sense is in short supply. I have stopped posting because of the rude behavior and attacks from a select few experts. Hopefully your 3 strike rule will put a stop to this problem. I am looking forward to seeing how this new rule will put a stop to this behavior.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #70
mshmodela

So 98% by 14 users.. That does not surprise me, as they say about a bad apple...It's very simple, we all like our old cars, we all wish to be treated nice, so just treat others as you wish to be treated... I'm on a few gun forums and they do not have this issue, I guess folks even in cyberspace respect a person who packs heat.. Funny our cars get hot?

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #71
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Looking at past stats, almost 98% of reported posts were posted by only 14 people. Think about that. That's nuts... So, I started by targeting those 14 people.

Many of them were banned outright and others I let slide but started to watch very carefully. This included looking at their post history... Soon, I noticed many of these guys started editing/deleting their past offensive posts. So, I have taken that function away for a while.

Essentially, I'm smoking out the people that don't respect the joint... and, it has worked really, really well.

I'd wondered what those posts about the delete button were going on about. The posts where they edited everything but a character was more like something in a junior school than what you would expect to find on a car forum populated by people with a high average age.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #72
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
I'd wondered what those posts about the delete button were going on about. The posts where they edited everything but a character was more like something in a junior school than what you would expect to find on a car forum populated by people with a high average age.
Why, Chippy, that's just some boys having fun. No need for bunching up your underclothes. Why I'm so elder that junior high's looking pretty good. Have a great day, hug some loved ones, do something nice for a stranger and wait for spring.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #73
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:

At least they were reporting it and not posting anything derogatory. That was your first request a few years ago, if we found something we disagreed with, don't comment on it but rather report it so you or Cob could review and take actions as you saw fit.

Little at a time I guess, a little push here a little prod there and a lump of clay becomes something good looking and useful.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #74
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
At least they were reporting it and not posting anything derogatory. That was your first request a few years ago, if we found something we disagreed with, don't comment on it but rather report it so you or Cob could review and take actions as you saw fit.

Little at a time I guess, a little push here a little prod there and a lump of clay becomes something good looking and useful.

They weren't reporting anything. They were being assholes and getting reported. I think you read that wrong.

I still very much want folks to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #75
31 Model A

Quote:
They weren't reporting anything. They were being assholes and getting reported. I think you read that wrong.

I still very much want folks to report.

Sometimes Ryan, there are individuals that have taken care of their own problems in their own way all their lives. The idea of running to someone else to take care of some asshole is unacceptable. Case in point, the thread below, this asshole (my opinion) was gone and when he came back, he started right in on me, edging me, challenging me. I continued to ignore his asinine comments to a point and then I decided it was time to confront him again...the last time I did it through PM, that was a couple of years ago, when he came back or was allowed to come back a few months ago, he came back with vengeance and it was directed at me. He's gone again now and I hope it's for good, his comments was numerous and towards many posters, his arrogance, rudeness and down right ASSinine attitude became a pest to me. With me confronting him, in my own way, I was banned because of my comment towards him directly on this thread, IMO, the ban was worth it. I'll bet a pound to a penny, he was the one who reported me. If he was, good!!!!!! I hurt the arsehole's feelings, that was my intentions!!!! Mission accomplished.........

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209932

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 02-18-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #76
Rex_A_Lott

I think its a crying shame that a grown-ass man has to "report" to Ryan or anybody else that he got his little feelings hurt by what somebody said on a message board...but its not my sandbox, and I dont make the rules, I just have to try to play by them and try to remember that I cant say what I really think most of the time. There are some VERY smart people here, but apparently a bunch of whiners also.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #77
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Why, Chippy, that's just some boys having fun. No need for bunching up your underclothes. Why I'm so elder that junior high's looking pretty good. Have a great day, hug some loved ones, do something nice for a stranger and wait for spring.
Thank God that I grew out of that level of humour decades ago! Sad.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #78
31 Model A

Old Age....physically I can't stop it....mentally I can slow it down. Thank God I'm a Baby Boomer with a never get old attitude.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #79
Ryan
Administrator

Honestly, if you can get your feelings hurt on a forum about old Fords, either the forum or you is doing something wrong.

It's old cars man. It's a message board. If your honor is on the line in that context, there's an issue.

Point is, I don't care to serve anyone that takes this thing or themselves THAT seriously. Nothing personal at all... internet drama and name calling and... well that stuff just isn't my thing.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #80
Bill's Auto Works

If 98% were from 14 people, that says to me that there are a very large number of good people here on the Barn! I didn't check the stats but 14 is a microscopic percentage of the total number of members!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe