Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #41
Ryan
Administrator

Default Re: Manners... A new rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
No, rubs me the wrong way, but truely good luck with it since tossing out customers who help generate profits for your web site is a hard call. In the end every needs to respectful. Most are but the few bad apples do.. Well you know...
The ford barn doesn't make much money at all, so that's not really a driver. The biggest motivation I have to get the kids out is simply not having to deal with them any longer. Seriously.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #42
bnchief

Kind of reminds me of when people show up here and I have a sign that says beware of dog and a guy asks does your dog bite? Kinda like poking the administrator and wondering what will happen. Glad your here Ryan.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #43
P.S.

I seldom check in here anymore, largely due to reasons previously stated. I hope it becomes a friendly place as a result of the new vigor in cleaning house.

My only fear is that some of the truly knowledgeable people who have left will not know it is safe to return and when we want to know something technical or specialized, that our inquiry will go unanswered.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #44
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I seldom check in here anymore, largely due to reasons previously stated. I hope it becomes a friendly place as a result of the new vigor in cleaning house.

My only fear is that some of the truly knowledgeable people who have left will not know it is safe to return and when we want to know something technical or specialized, that our inquiry will go unanswered.
I think your over exaggerating paul, i have seen your posts as you know and your questions seem to always be answered in a polite and helpful way and YES many many of the knowledgable people are gone from the site and will not return.... sadly.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #45
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post

Your stats show you to be a pretty regular user as of late. My intention is make sure it stays that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I think your over exaggerating paul, i have seen your posts as you know and your questions seem to always be answered in a polite and helpful way and YES many many of the knowledgable people are gone from the site and will not return.... sadly.
Sure... some have left... but I'd bet you could still get any question you wanted answered in short time.

And many of the regular drama guys are also pretty knowledgeable sadly. They will be gone as well of course...

Point is this: You can have a really rich community full of knowledge and without all of the name calling and chest thumping. It's possible. And I hope to make that happen here.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #46
pooch

I have been here for a while and have learned a lot about Model A/s both from here and elsewhere.

Sure there are a few egos here .

I find the best way is to just stop responding when they chest thump and tell you how good they are.

They are in full noise mid stream talking over you and you just walk out of the thread.

I reckon they search for days looking for any response ..

I bet this pisses them off no end,

After that, I just generally stay out of the threads of the know it alls.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #47
Binger

Another Thank You for all your efforts Ryan. I haven't been on the "Barn" in a couple of weeks and I think I am glad I missed all the uproar. I have always felt this board was kinder and gentler than the HAMB. Generally it is always. There is always different points of views coming here too, From fine point judging to touring to speedsters and banger powered hot rods. A lot of time big the differences of opinion come from the persons goals for their cars. Much knowledge is to be gained from all the members here! I always listen more than I speak.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #48
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Good folks like Purdy had enough of pack of wolves.. He's not posted in almost 2 years. So there is no myth that folks who truly had decades of experience have gone silent...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #49
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Purdy is one of our true major losses! Hopefully the new manners will bring him back. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #50
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The reason there are so few good writers is the fact that conveying an idea is not always easy to do "on paper".

Sometimes a blunt answer can be interpreted as being rude. I have found that a whole lot of technical people are just that, blunt. I think it is all the technical writings they read and write using just the minimal amount of words to get the idea across. I assume you contact those that are guilty and tell them exactly where they went wrong when you ban them. Like I said sometimes a blunt answer by a writer can be taken as a rude answer by the reader when it was never intended to be that way. I think (and I'm nobody here) a chance to edit the offending post might be a better first step.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #51
denis4x4

I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. Mike V is correct that it is difficult to put things of a technical nature into an understandable paragraph. I did some technical instruction writing on weapon systems and was required to keep it at a 6th grade level. The fewer the words, the easier to understand. There is a fine line between being a jerk and an asshole. I would think that the 'barners are more mature and can tell the difference.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #52
H. L. Chauvin

I received several private emails some time ago, (as opposed to Forum Private Messages, (PM's) generated on this Forum), concerning the alleged Ford Barn gang attacks in progress.

Those allegedly attacked individuals were allegedly hurt and had already sadly left.

We can imagine that here within, it is virtually impossible to monitor outside, behind the scenes private emails.

And then, one way to look at this Model A Hobby is, what is the true value of being declared a 100% Model A Genius who is never wrong and always right?

With possession of such an Honorable Model A Diploma, none of us could land a $5.00 an hour job as a McDonald's kitchen helper employee working at the rear sink.

I too hope these gentlemen will return.

FWIW: I found early on that one can be successful & succeed far better in life if we sometimes act ignorant. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #53
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. .
Sure hope not, I'm here sure, for some technical help so I know what and how to describe the aches and pains that come with an 85 year old gal names Sarah to her doctor Larry Shepard but also the comradery, jocularity and stories of old and bazar regarding Model A Fords.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #54
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Please Ryan, do not turn it into a Facebook where people write fictitious, make believe stories about their present and past girlfriends and affairs they never had. If it is not Model A it should be deleted. There is a couple here that live in a land of make believe of girlfriends, ex wives and romances that never existed. We honestly don't want to hear about it. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #55
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I suspect that the Fordbarn would become a very boring site in the PC police limited threads to those that are technical in nature. Mike V is correct that it is difficult to put things of a technical nature into an understandable paragraph. I did some technical instruction writing on weapon systems and was required to keep it at a 6th grade level. The fewer the words, the easier to understand. There is a fine line between being a jerk and an asshole. I would think that the 'barners are more mature and can tell the difference.
There is no fine line between being a decent person with respect for other people and being a jerk. I'm not gonna host jerks.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #56
Rex_A_Lott

Is there a list of people who are banned? I see under some of the user names "banned", but the people are still here and posting.
Also, if people are banned, can they still be reached by PM, or can they just not post on the main board?
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #57
RockHillWill

Ryan, As a moderator on another non-car site, I am most appreciative of both your time, investment and courage. I hope I am not in danger here. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #58
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Is there a list of people who are banned? I see under some of the user names "banned", but the people are still here and posting.
Also, if people are banned, can they still be reached by PM, or can they just not post on the main board?
If you click on the members name you will see if they can be contacted.

As for banned, this is from the software, "By default, banned users are placed in the “Banned Users” usergroup and inherit the permissions (or lack thereof) of that group. "
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #59
redmodelt

I think you will find that the people that have Banned under there names have not posted anything fresh it's just that some of their past post have not been removed. If you click on their name it does not show a way to contact them unless you already have their personal email stored on your computer.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #60
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
If you click on the members name you will see if they can be contacted.

As for banned, this is from the software, "By default, banned users are placed in the “Banned Users” usergroup and inherit the permissions (or lack thereof) of that group. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I think you will find that the people that have Banned under there names have not posted anything fresh it's just that some of their past post have not been removed. If you click on their name it does not show a way to contact them unless you already have their personal email stored on your computer.
Thanks for the info.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote