Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
sethkestenbaum

Default Paintless Dent Removal

I am noodling with the idea of purchasing a paintless dent removal kit to use on my Model A (and a couple of other vehicles including my daily driver which is a beater of a car). I was thinking of 'leaving this to the pros' but the estimates from the experts seem to be cost prohibitive.

1) has anyone played with the kits? is the metal on the Model A too thick?
2) what are your experiences?

Seth
Old 09-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Paintless Dent Removal

I would think too thick could be a problem. the new cars are thin tin.

depends what part of the body you are getting the dent out of.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
noboD

You need something to hinge off of in order to push out the dent. Like in a door, drill a hole that is hidden and hinge off the hole for leverage. Won't work for fenders and such on an old car.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
JBill

I'm no expert, but I'd think Model A metal is too tough. Can we hear from somebody who knows?
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
MikeK

Keep in mind that, although you are 'pushing' to remove the dent you actually need to shrink the metal that has been pushed inward. I've seen plenty of less-than-practiced attempts to remove dings without damaging paint.

After finding the exact point at the back side you need to buck the painted face with a slightly compliant hard block of UHMW plastic or something similar. Without it the metal will stretch in a miniature donut shape around the place you are pushing. You will end up with a slight swelling or bump surrounding the pressure point after the metal moves.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Bruce_MO

The guy who removed dents from my late-model Chevy (and did an amazing job) told me that he's done work on old cars at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
duke36

Had a dent removed in '31 tn. sedan door and other make headlight shell by a pro at much less cost than shop to repair/ paint. Get referrals and/or references and suggest have the pro's do it. My person was the owner and had a myriad of bumping tools and (with over 25 years experience) used a propane torch to heat the exterior door (paint) while I cringed prior to bumping, etc.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
jb-ob

Seth,

If it looks easy, it's probably not their first job.

Good guys to know on dented side curtain fasteners...

JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
ronn

After finding the exact point at the back side you need to buck the painted face with a slightly compliant hard block of UHMW plastic or something similar. Without it the metal will stretch in a miniature donut shape around the place you are pushing. You will end up with a slight swelling or bump surrounding the pressure point after the metal moves.

while that makes total sense............
had a dent removed from a newer van and no heat applied, just spooned out and no defects could be seen.
________
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

"THEY" say, remove the dent, in the OPPOSITE way it was created. It's kinda' HARD to run into your fender, with a car, from the backside!! "Guess" you could take it off & run over it---LOL---You might SELL it, as a MODERN ART PRETZEL, on E-BAY!
Bill Wrinkled
Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Doug 845

I bought a kit and tried doing it myself on an old Toyota I own. I'm glad I didn't practice on a car I really care about. It is a lot harder than you think to do a good job and get a dent out with only limited experience. Do yourself a favor and hire a pro.

Last edited by Doug 845; 09-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
mleder

The "new" steel in your modern car is was created for this process along with other enhancements. I believe that I once read an article about this in a trade journal and Mercedes Benz was the instrumental in the whole paint less dent removal system by creating or promoting the tools and specifying the steel type that would make the process work. It then became used by the other automakers.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
wingski

If you are dealing with push dents that are not crimped, for instance a knee dent in a door, take the door or whatever off the car and lay it across two saw-horses out in the sun. Rub Vasoline on the dent and put a piece of DRY ICE in the dent and go have a beer. You’ll know when you dent is gone because of the sound. Make sure that the dry ice can’t hurt anyone or anything when it lands. Good luck. Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

At a Friends' Used Car Lot, I watched the "DENT DOCTORS" do their stuff, those Guys are GENIUS'S---
Bill Donttakemuchtoamuseme
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
SteveB31

I live in hail country. We had a Billion $$ hail storm come here in May. Wife's car was outside at work. $7200 estimate to fix it the painting way. Took it to a good paintless dent guy, $2500 and two days later it is perfect. Insurance paid the $7200 (less $1000 deductible). She is happy, and I have $5k in my pocket. Out here they are on every street corner.

Now getting a roof on my house, new windows installed, new gutters- that has been a challenge. Hundreds of new "roofing " companies seem to have appeared overnight. None speak English.

Steve @ Bert's in Denver, CO.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I live in hail country. We had a Billion $$ hail storm come here in May. Wife's car was outside at work. $7200 estimate to fix it the painting way. Took it to a good paintless dent guy, $2500 and two days later it is perfect. Insurance paid the $7200 (less $1000 deductible). She is happy, and I have $5k in my pocket. Out here they are on every street corner.

Now getting a roof on my house, new windows installed, new gutters- that has been a challenge. Hundreds of new "roofing " companies seem to have appeared overnight. None speak English.

Steve @ Bert's in Denver, CO.
BUT, Steve,
I'm SURE you've found that they DO UNDERSTAND $$$$$$$$ AMOUNTS---LOL
Bro Bill W.