Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Utopia Texas

Default Door Handle Backing Plate On Inside Of Door...

Late 1931 Slant Windshield 4 Door Sedan. Today I was taking the two screws off my outside door handles in order to place new anti scratch pads between the handle escutcheons and door to help keep the paint from being scratched. Three doors went fine but on the last one as the second screw was removed I heard a thunk as something fell inside the door down to the bottom. Using a flashlight I looked down from the window opening and saw a backing plate with the two boxed nuts. Had to remove inside door handle, window crank handle, window surround frame and then the interior panel to get to the small plate. I thought I had gone through the hard part until I tried to blindly thread my arm up into the door to hold the plate in place while holding and screwing the door handle in place with my other hand. I am 62 now and have arthritis so the task was daunting but I finally got it done. Now to the question ??? We're these plates originally held to the inside of the door with something or are my other three plates being held to the inside of the door by surface rust? Would like to know for future use. Thanks...

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 04-30-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote