Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #21
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: I know that, Opinions are like.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Like the title says "opinions are like....", The author put down his opinion. I happen to agree that the A was not a "game changer" for Ford. It allowed Ford to stay i the game, but not change it. The A was styled like many others of the day, it still had a 4 cyl while others were going to 6, and I love my A.
From Wiki:

"By 1932, Henry Ford introduced one of his last great personal engineering triumphs: his "en block", or one piece, V8 engine. The production was the largest commercially available V8 to the masses. Offered as an option to an improved 4-cylinder Model "B" engine in a low priced car, this compact V8 power plant, with its down draft carburator, enabled 1932 Ford to outperform all other popular competitors and was conceived as years ahead of its time. "

Mike, if the above is true, which I have no doubt it is, Henry not only was allowed to stay in the game, he surpassed everyone else from his first introduction of his V8. If also his V8 production was the largest commercially available to the public, was that not also intended when he came out with the Model A? The results were the same.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
mhsprecher

Default Re: I know that, Opinions are like.........

Chevrolet was giving Ford a run for the money. William Knudsen left Ford and went to head Chevrolet, which was a poor seller, but in a few years was outselling the Model T. Henry hated sixes and wanted to leave Chevrolet in the dust, so we had the V8.

What is interesting to me is that the 32 Chev was thought to have been more stylish and a better value than the Ford at the time. While the 32 Chevy is nice, what is far and away the more popular car now? All fascinating stuff. It was at the time and it still is today.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)