Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Woodie UK

Default 3.78 speedo drives

Just coverting from 4.11:1 to a 3.78:1 ring and pinion in the rear axle of my '36 Ford.

The EFV8 book tyells me that I need a 19 teeth gear wheel in my speedo drive. Anybody got any idea where I can source one - looked in the MACs catalogue without any luck???

Curiously the gearwheel on the speedo drive I've just removed has 25 teeth - no wonder the speedo was running slow - wonder what that was off..maybe a truck??

Colin
Woodie UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 3.78 speedo drives

Since they are the same as Model A you might try some place like Bratton's 301-253-1929 . You might also try a "wanted" ad since a lot of people (myself included) go to the 3.54.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Flathead Fever

Early Ford Speedo drives are on ebay all the time. There are several listed right now. There is a 19-tooth listed for $9.99 with two days to go. Ask the seller if the gear rotates to make sure it is not seized up from sitting in a bucket of water out behind the barn for 50 years. If you can get them to move they will usually free right up with a little lubricant.

The 19-tooth would only be for your '36 with original tires, if your building a hot rod with different size tires the speedo chart (below) from the Ford parts book might come in handy.

This is how I search for parts on ebay using what is known as a “wild card”. If searching for a speedo adaptor I would type 193* speedo* Ford or 194* Ford speedo*. The asterisk (wild card) will pick up any number or letter in that spot. That way if somebody lists the part as only 1932 or 1936, or Speedo instead of speedometer you will find the part.

Search 193* Speedo* Ford and you will find the one listed for $9.99

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedo Chart.jpg (190.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 10-28-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Woodie UK

Jerry,
Many thanks for the info and for the eBay tip...I'll definitely bid on the part and use your search method in future.
Many thanks
Colin
Woodie UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
blucar

Colin,
I think I have a #19 speedo drive gear assy. I might have trouble finding it in the safe place I put it. It might be a couple of days before I get back to you.

Bill
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with Charlie, check with Bratton's Antique Auto Parts in Maryland at the number he gave you or Google Bratton's and find their on line catalog. They sell the gears and housings you need. 'Gitter' done and drive it!
I was in England in September (Whiltshire and Yorkshire Co's) and saw a lot of Early Ford V8's while there. Wish I could have seen your Woody and met up with you while I was there. Maybe I can do that on my next visit, probably in 2012.
Keep on V8ing!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Tinker

Great chart Jerry, thanks! Good luck colin.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
Early Ford Speedo drives are on ebay all the time. There are several listed right now. There is a 19-tooth listed for $9.99 with two days to go. Ask the seller if the gear rotates to make sure it is not seized up from sitting in a bucket of water out behind the barn for 50 years. If you can get them to move they will usually free right up with a little lubricant.

The 19-tooth would only be for your '36 with original tires, if your building a hot rod with different size tires the speedo chart (below) from the Ford parts book might come in handy.

This is how I search for parts on ebay using what is known as a “wild card”. If searching for a speedo adaptor I would type 193* speedo* Ford or 194* Ford speedo*. The asterisk (wild card) will pick up any number or letter in that spot. That way if somebody lists the part as only 1932 or 1936, or Speedo instead of speedometer you will find the part.

Search 193* Speedo* Ford and you will find the one listed for $9.99

Jerry
Jerry, Thanks for the wild card suggestion. I had used it years ago but never thought of trying it on ebay.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote