Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #81
Bob C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,401
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Those are 1932 actuators and the arms go down.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #82
Scott F.
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 93
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Thanks for the replies guys. Bob C is correct. These are 1932 actuators and the arm goes down. They are also 1932-34 king pins, which have the 'cup' offset differently than A and have the lock groove in a different orientation than the A parts. I have model A king pins and Model A actuators which fit and work as intended but the '32 actuators that I have are much nicer condition than the A actuators which is why I wanted to try and use the 1932 parts. I am going to give it another go maybe tonight. I left the king pin lock bolt out so that I could rotate the kingpin after I had the actuator installed in the cup.

Scott
Scott F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #83
Vonn Ditch
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 74
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

[QUOTE=Scott F.;1431939]Thanks for the replies guys. Bob C is correct. These are 1932 actuators and the arm goes down. They are also 1932-34 king pins, which have the 'cup' offset differently than A and have the lock groove in a different orientation than the A parts. I have model A king pins and Model A actuators which fit and work as intended but the '32 actuators that I have are much nicer condition than the A actuators which is why I wanted to try and use the 1932 parts. I am going to give it another go maybe tonight. I left the king pin lock bolt out so that I could rotate the kingpin after I had the actuator installed in the cup.

You are making this way too hard. Nice model a actuators are easy to come by and fit without the fuss. Well, maybe a little fuss, the bolt length on the model a actuator isn't long enuff to get a washer behind the nut, so you really need to grind a little off the sides of the perch pin boss.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #84
1stGrumpy
Senior Member
 
1stGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville, Arkansas
Posts: 488
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

First of all, I want to thank LeroyM for this thread. It was instrumental in the dropping of my '29 Tudor.
I wanted to do a late 30's/early 40's style "banger build" with my '29 Tudor. The idea being that I would use what would have been available in that era and still maintain the mechanical brakes. Whether someone was doing dropped axles, back then, I have no idea. I have been unable to find any info on it if there was. So here's what I did...

I was able to find and purchase a n.o.s. 1935 front axle, out of Minnesota. I found a nice pair of '32 front spindles as well as a new pair of '32 front spring perches. I then bought a new set of Model A king pins and spring shackles. I was able to find a trailer parts store in Missouri that sold the proper size spring bushings, 9/16 i.d. x 3/4" o.d. x 1 3/4" long. I reused my Model A brake actuators, backing plates and brakes. I had already installed a reverse eye main leaf and removed #2, #3 & #4 leaf's when I put on the 6:00x16's Firestone bia's ply tires but like LeroyM, I wanted it lower.

So, there it is! I love the stance and it rides and handles great. Thanks again, LeroyM, for all the information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (65.0 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 75.jpg (39.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 76.jpg (42.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 78.jpg (71.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 88.jpg (88.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 91.jpg (69.6 KB, 231 views)
1stGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #85
Dannerr
Member
 
Dannerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South of Middlefart, north of Assens, Fyn, Denmark
Posts: 30
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGrumpy View Post
...So, there it is! ...
Looking good, @1stGrumpy!
__________________
http://www.dannerrs.com/
http://dannerrsblog.blogspot.com/

Keep 'em kruzin!
Dannerr
Dannerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #86
Big hammer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 1,827
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Good looking hot rod :-) One question/ comment, the cooling fan looks like it could cause problems. The new two blade fans are a good replacement!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #87
LeroyM
Senior Member
 
LeroyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 271
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Looks good. I like it.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #88
1stGrumpy
Senior Member
 
1stGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville, Arkansas
Posts: 488
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannerr View Post
Looking good, @1stGrumpy!
Thank you, Dannerr.
1stGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #89
1stGrumpy
Senior Member
 
1stGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville, Arkansas
Posts: 488
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Good looking hot rod :-) One question/ comment, the cooling fan looks like it could cause problems. The new two blade fans are a good replacement!
Good eye, Big hammer. I am having heating issues and the waterpump leaks and has a pretty good wobble to it.
1stGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #90
1stGrumpy
Senior Member
 
1stGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville, Arkansas
Posts: 488
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
Looks good. I like it.
Thank you, LeroyM. Your thread was a lot of help to me.
1stGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #91
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,346
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

I received my front axle. Now the gather the rest of the stuff to do this.
__________________
1921 Runabout
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-19-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #92
100% Matt
Senior Member
 
100% Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 161
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Here's a before and after using the Old Yankee Speed Co "Hot Rod" spring and their main leaf reverse eye leaf on a stock front spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a.jpg (58.1 KB, 117 views)
100% Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #93
wensum
Senior Member
 
wensum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 415
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGrumpy View Post
First of all, I want to thank LeroyM for this thread. It was instrumental in the dropping of my '29 Tudor.
I wanted to do a late 30's/early 40's style "banger build" with my '29 Tudor. The idea being that I would use what would have been available in that era and still maintain the mechanical brakes. Whether someone was doing dropped axles, back then, I have no idea. I have been unable to find any info on it if there was. So here's what I did...

I was able to find and purchase a n.o.s. 1935 front axle, out of Minnesota. I found a nice pair of '32 front spindles as well as a new pair of '32 front spring perches. I then bought a new set of Model A king pins and spring shackles. I was able to find a trailer parts store in Missouri that sold the proper size spring bushings, 9/16 i.d. x 3/4" o.d. x 1 3/4" long. I reused my Model A brake actuators, backing plates and brakes. I had already installed a reverse eye main leaf and removed #2, #3 & #4 leaf's when I put on the 6:00x16's Firestone bia's ply tires but like LeroyM, I wanted it lower.

So, there it is! I love the stance and it rides and handles great. Thanks again, LeroyM, for all the information.

I'm curious about caster? Some hot rodders and Model A owners are putting a 2" block under their bell housing to increase caster and this makes for very steady driving on motorways etc., However, if you lower the front of the car to improve its stance, then it will have the effect of reducing the caster, this in turn should affect the cars directional stability?
Anybody had this experience?
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #94
1stGrumpy
Senior Member
 
1stGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville, Arkansas
Posts: 488
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
I'm curious about caster? Some hot rodders and Model A owners are putting a 2" block under their bell housing to increase caster and this makes for very steady driving on motorways etc., However, if you lower the front of the car to improve its stance, then it will have the effect of reducing the caster, this in turn should affect the cars directional stability?
Anybody had this experience?
wensum... Sorry that I don't have any pictures that show the radius rod but I have a Clings V8 transmission adapter in my '29, it has a custom mount for the radius rod ball to set in which does mount the ball lower than original. Never have measured the difference. My '29 handles well with this set up.
1stGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #95
wensum
Senior Member
 
wensum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 415
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGrumpy View Post
wensum... Sorry that I don't have any pictures that show the radius rod but I have a Clings V8 transmission adapter in my '29, it has a custom mount for the radius rod ball to set in which does mount the ball lower than original. Never have measured the difference. My '29 handles well with this set up.


My chassis and suspension were set up by Macs Speed shop and he cut the radius arms near the axle and re-welded them giving 6-7 degrees caster. This certainly gives finger-light steering on motorways, but I think it makes it a bit heavier on tight corners.
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #96
hb32
Senior Member
 
hb32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: French Creek B.C. Canada
Posts: 960
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Just in the process of gathering parts as well to lower my 29 rpu. Thanks for the posters comments.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #97
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,346
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

My '32-'36 axle and wishbone are at the powder coaters now. New spring Perches from Snyder's. I have the 1/4" thick fender washers to take up the slack between the axle and wishbone. Gonna have to buy an 11/16" drill bit to finish them. Next I will order my new spring from Posies Super Slider springs for front and rear. While waiting for the springs my backing plates will go to the powder coater. Spindles and brake drums will get a bath in Parkerizing juice. Its getting close.
__________________
1921 Runabout
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #98
Dannerr
Member
 
Dannerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South of Middlefart, north of Assens, Fyn, Denmark
Posts: 30
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
... New spring Perches from Snyder's...
Have Snyders begun selling '32 perches?

Can you take pictures, as you start on this?
__________________
http://www.dannerrs.com/
http://dannerrsblog.blogspot.com/

Keep 'em kruzin!
Dannerr
Dannerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #99
Bob C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,401
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

I got my 1932 perches from Bob Drake. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...1-77ece712bd3a


Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #100
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,346
Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannerr View Post
Have Snyders begun selling '32 perches?

Can you take pictures, as you start on this?
I am using "A" perches.
__________________
1921 Runabout
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.