Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #21
Frank Miller

Default Re: No reverse BW R-10

I'm pretty sure you will need to disassemble it to see what did not go together correctly. I use grease to assemble the rollers on the one way clutch. With the OD lever forward it should act like a regular transmission. You can bench test all that stuff.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #22
whb52ford

I was afraid I was going to hear that. I'm worried I'll pull it from the car and take it apart and still not know what is wrong with it. I don't know how to bench test it.

On a related note. I pulled the working transmission from the car because I paid two different transmission shops to fix it from leaking. Neither fixed it, so I purchased this transmission so I can swap it. Since I now know it doesn't work I'm thinking I may want to put back the working one. On the attachment I would like to know if I can just loosen the bolts at #1 and separate the transmission 1/2 inch, cut a new gasket at the top an insert with plenty of gasket sealer. Then for #2, I know I have to remove the pin and pull out #15. Could I separate 1/2 inch and do the same?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OD arrows.jpg (32.4 KB, 37 views)
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #23
Bob C

I see you've mentioned the rubber bands on the clutch and nobody has commented
on them, I can't believe having them in there could be good.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #24
40cpe

Rubber bands have been used forever. The roller drum either cuts them or pushes them off during installation. If the car drives in forward gears with OD handle pushed in, the rollers are functioning.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
whb52ford

I had not tried it to see if the car went forward with the overdrive on. I just checked it and it does.

I guess I have done all I can, so I'm heading back out to the garage and taking the transmission back out.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #26
rotorwrench

I don't have your diagram so I have to use nomenclature. First you have to be certain that the shift rail is moving all the way back and all the way forward. I don't know if it will fit in the overdrive housing in any way that won't work unless some part of it is damaged but if it will fit in there without being in the annular groove of the sun gear then that would be a problem.

You also need to make sure there isn't some kind of problem up forward in the gear section. The low/reverse gear should be able to move forward to engage low and it needs to be able to move rearward to engage the reverse idler gear. If that all functions as it should then that's not the problem.

The pawl has to be pulled out of the gear plate for normal non overdrive operation. Normally this is done by the operating solenoid. If the rail is moving then the pawl should be out of the way and OK.

The balk ring and gear plate are the team of parts that engage the overdrive when the pawl is shifted up into one of the notches on the gear plate. These two parts are mated together and there has to be some resistance of the balk ring to turning when rotated around the gear plate while the parts are on the bench. If there is no resistance to turning then it won't shift into overdrive properly but that won't affect reverse gear unless it is shifted into overdrive when a person tries to shift into reverse..

The only way reverse will function is if the sun gear is locked in the the planet carrier so that the transmission is in one to one drive or it will just freewheel and go nowhere in reverse.

It is common to use a rubber band to hold the sprag rollers or they would fall out during assembly. It's in the maintenance manuals to do so. It is pushed out of the way by the outer race when the tail shaft is reinstalled. The rubber band will eventually fall to pieces. It is soft material so it won't hurt the gears as long as a person doesn't use a great big fat one. A regular small one with enough tension to hold the rollers will do the job
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #27
whb52ford

Thanks for all the detail. I think I'm ok on everything except I'm wondering if the sungear is not locking into the planetary gear. I thought it just slid in there.

I have it out of the car, now I need a neighbor to help me lift it onto the workbench.

Can you tell me how to bench test this so when it goes in again, it will stay?
thanks for your info.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #28
Frank Miller

When it is on the bench move the levers through the gears and turn the shaft to sww what the output shaft does. You can even move the pawl back and forth to see if anything binds in od. My guess is you did not engage the shift rail lever correctly when you assembled it. It's a wild guess but the best one I have.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
whb52ford

Well I took it apart today. The rail was in the sun gear. BUT on #18 there is a snap ring (not shown in the pic) that holds the ring gear to the output shaft, I did not have the snap ring in. The ring gear moved over the planetary gear and stayed there.

Thanks everyone for your help. I feel better about it going back in now.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #30
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #31
rotorwrench

That would certainly have cause the problem. Even if it was a lot of work, you can feel confident now. Don't feel like your the only one that can miss something. I know I have before but I learned a lot anyway and I won't forget to check better the next time. It can be run through the gears on the bench as long as you keep turning the input. Overdrive is the only thing you can't really check without running it in the car. Governor on speed is a bit faster than I can turn the thing.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #32
whb52ford

As soon as I saw it, it was a How could I miss it? I think I’ll be fine now
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
slowforty

Everything is easier the second or even third time you do it.(excluding Marriage)
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #34
whb52ford

Well I put the snap ring on that holds the ring gear to output shaft.
I bench tested it to see if I had reverse and first gear and i did, so I put the transmission in the car today. Still no reverse. Can't believe it. Exactly the same as last time. Car will move forward, but not reverse, I didn't use the controls to put in reverse, I manually put it in reverse- no change-no reverse. When the car is running and without the clutch it will grind gears when trying to put into reverse. I'm thinking the 3 speed part is good because of the grinding when I put into reverse. I have had it out and now I don't know what to look for. Something in the overdrive part is not right and I just don't get it. Stumped AGAIN
Old 09-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #35
whb52ford

I couldn't sleep so I went out and removed the lever that holds the cable that works the overdrive. I was thinking that maybe the cable was not moving it enough to bring the sungear into the planetary gear. I manually shut the overdrive off at the transmission (to simulate pulling out the cable) and started the car. No reverse.

I was wondering if I had the solenoid in right and the pawl could be blocking the rail so I took the solenoid out. It was in right. Put it back in, started the car. No reverse.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #36
Frank Miller

I am stumped.

Can you put it in reverse without it running? If so will the engine turn with the clutch disengaged? Like can you start it? I can't understand why this is happening while running but worked ok on the bench. With the overdrive locked out it should work like a normal 3 speed. Thanks for the updates. Hope we get this solved soon. Yeah I said we.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #37
whb52ford

Yes, I can put it in reverse with the engine off. Yes, the engine will turn with the clutch disengaged. The sun gear must not be moving into the planetary gear. This morning I pulled the pin on the of shifter on the tranny and restated it 180 degrees thinking the rail was not moving the sun gear enough. It did nothing at 180, so I put it back.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #38
rotorwrench

Are you sure that the reverse idler gear is inside the transmission? Make sure of that and make sure the shift rail isn't stuck all the way to the rear. Well nix that idea since it would make it work all the time so that won't affect it. It has to be all the way back to lock it out and it has to be locked out to go into reverse. If the reverse idler is missing then it won't go into reverse.

This also brings up a possibility that it might have a counter shaft cluster gear that isn't correct tooth count. Something isn't letting it rotate in reverse.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-26-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #39
whb52ford

When the case was open the reverse idler went in as it should. Which engine running and I try to put in reverse without the clutch it grinds.

I think it’s in the od part
Old 09-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #40
40cpe

What is the history of the transmission? Did it work before rebuild?

If the gears on the sun and planetary gears are good, I' thinking there is something wrong with the way the lock-out shaft and parts are assembled. You said earlier that you could hear clicking with the engine running in reverse. If part #14 on the shaft is bent (not 90 degrees from the shaft) it can't push the sun gear far enough, or if the shaft doesn't move the #14 part. It has been a long time since I was in an OD, so my memory isn't clear.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote