Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
hotrodA

Default 32 vs 33-34 Pedal Differences???

I have three sets of pedals that I need help in determining their origins.

They are the same dimensions and shape, however two sets have I-beam cross section clutch arms, while one has the oval cross section like its brake pedal mate. The brake pedals are all three identical.

This is one set with the I-beam clutch arm

Any suggestions from you experts? Hours of searching on here came up with zip.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200203_144111.jpg (26.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200203_144048.jpg (50.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by hotrodA; 02-04-2020 at 03:12 PM.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 32 vs 33-34 Pedal Differances???

Edit: Picts were added after I posted. Not '32's. Either '33/'34. Measure the arms, but I'm thinking they are '33's. The way the clutch and brake arms swing over to the right is the dead give away.

More than likely, those I beam ones are '33/'34 and are cast, not forged.

Also, '32 and early '33 pedals are 13" from the bend to the shaft end. Late '33/'34 pedals are 12" from the bend to the shaft end. Oddly, '33/'34 pedals carry the same part number, yet a change was made along the line.

If you had a '32 pedal set and a '33/'34 pedal set side by side, the differences are pretty obvious. In isolation, it's understandable how they can be mixed up.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

'32 pedals were oval shaped. Oval shaped pedals were also used throughout '33 and '34. However, the "beam-looking" clutch pedal was also frequently used late '33 and thru '34. DD

'32 Pedals

SOME late '33s and '34s

…...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
More than likely, those I beam ones are '33/'34 and are cast, not forged.

Oddly, '33/'34 pedals carry the same part number, yet a change was made along the line.

The pedals would likely have the same SUFFIX number, but possibly a different PREFIX? Like "18" for the '32, and "40" prefix for the '33-'34s.

I doubt that beam-shaped pedal is cast. Forgings can be done in a beam-shape. Look at that front axle. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The pedals would likely have the same SUFFIX number, but possibly a different PREFIX? Like "18" for the '32, and "40" prefix for the '33-'34s.

I doubt that beam-shaped pedal is cast. Forgings can be done in a beam-shape. Look at that front axle. DD
DD,

The beam ones I have encounter have been cast. I know this while trying to heat and bend them.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
DD,

The beam ones I have encounter have been cast. I know this while trying to heat and bend them.

Ya learn somethin' every day. Unfortunately, that was a WAG on my part. I'd have bet $10 on that being forged, too! Like I've been known to say..."WTF do I know?" Thanks, Tim! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
DavidG

Tim,

With respect, the two versions each of the '33-'34 brake and clutch pedals have their own part numbers with only the basic assembly (pedal and pad were serviced together) numbers (40-2465 for the brake pedal and 40-7520 for the clutch pedal) being the same. A suffix of A and then B added to the basic numbers distinguishes the different versions. And the difference is not just the change in the pedal pads from the '32 pads to the screw-in later '33-'34 pads, but reflects a fundamental change caused by the revision of the pedal bracket that attaches to the frame.

The initial version of the '33 pedal bracket, 40-2467-A, had a pedal shaft location that was low compared to the shaft location in common 40-2467-B bracket. The first version was quickly obsoleted when it was discovered that the grease fitting on the clutch pedal hung up on the lower lip of the left side X member in some installations. The subsequent bracket revision elevating the pedal shaft axis required that the pedals be revised slightly to maintain the relationship between the pedals and their entry points through the firewall/floor.

I also disagree that the pedals were cast; the many that I have are all forged. If a recent thread herein goes on and on advocating that the spindles should be bent to accommodate a dropped axle's tie rod then are you saying the spindles are cast? Like the forged spindles, the forged pedals are bendable.

Last edited by DavidG; 02-04-2020 at 01:59 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Tim,

With respect, the two versions each of the '33-'34 brake and clutch pedals have their own part numbers with only the basic assembly (pedal and pad were serviced together) numbers (40-2465 for the brake pedal and 40-7520 for the clutch pedal) being the same. A suffix of A and then B added to the basic numbers distinguishes the different versions. And the difference is not just the change in the pedal pads from the '32 pads to the screw-in later '33-'34 pads, but reflects a fundamental change caused by the revision of the pedal bracket that attaches to the frame.
The initial version of the '33 pedal bracket, 40-2467-A, had a pedal shaft location that was low compared to the shaft location in common 40-2467-B bracket. The first version was quickly obsoleted when it was discovered that the grease fitting on the clutch pedal hung up on the lower lip of the left side X member in some installations. The subsequent bracket revision elevating the pedal shaft axis required that the pedals be revised slightly to maintain the relationship between the pedals and their entry points through the firewall/floor.
I also disagree that the pedals were cast; the many that I have are all forged.

David:

Thanks for the clarity. I never looked at the last 4 digits past the #40. I just measured them. Why I know all this is for I used '34 pedals in a /32 pedal box on my recent AV8 build.

I learned the $$$ hard way after purchasing pedals that I thought were correct.

As far as cast v/ forged, that was my experience. I'll look for them, but I may have thrown them away since they broke while heating and bending.

Not sure where you are going with the spindles, for I never said anything about them being cast. Do you have me mixed up with someone else?
Old 02-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
DavidG

It wasn't you that I had in mind with the spindle reference. I think we all agree that the spindles were forgings and bendable and therefore that other forgings like the pedals are similarly bendable. I guess you do too given that you've explained why you think the pedals were castings and that you broke one or more.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Another thing is that the '33-'34 pedals have a pad to activate the brake light switch.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
DavidG

Tim,

Another question regarding your broken pedal experience, please. Was the cross section of the pedal(s) that broke oval or I-beam?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tim,

Another question regarding your broken pedal experience, please. Was the cross section of the pedal(s) that broke oval or I-beam?

Thanks.
I Beam.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

They made some of the pedals beam and oval ,changed to beam for the clutch ,so you ask your self why the different shape , its more costly to produce a forging where several strokes of the press is needed and 3 or four metal dies were required as opposed to a casting that only needs a wood pattern and multable casting can be pourd at once . S o forgings were used on critical parts were maximum strength was required .Is it possible that some of the clutch pedals was cast but in a beam shape to improve strength for a casting ( not being a critical [part )

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
hotrodA

Great info, as usual!

Thanks for the lesson.

Bill
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
They made some of the pedals beam and oval ,changed to beam for the clutch ,so you ask your self why the different shape , its more costly to produce a forging where several strokes of the press is needed and 3 or four metal dies were required as opposed to a casting that only needs a wood pattern and multable casting can be pourd at once . S o forgings were used on critical parts were maximum strength was required .Is it possible that some of the clutch pedals was cast but in a beam shape to improve strength for a casting ( not being a critical [part )
That is my thought. I am not saying they all were, but the ones I had, I believed to be cast.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
DavidG

Default Re: 32 vs 33-34 Pedal Differences???

Tim,

That would explain your experience and mine too as in my case it has been almost entirely with pedals with an oval cross section. I think Ted is likely correct regarding the heavier-seeming construction of the I-beam clutch pedals being cast, at least in some instances, yours being one of them.

As a silly aside, I don't use the I-beam type pedals as I am a fan of symmetry and all the brake pedals I've had have had an oval cross section.

Charlie's comment about the brake switch activation wart (for want of a better word) on the side of the brake pedal reminds me that initially that wart was welded on and not part of the forging.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tim,

That would explain your experience and mine too as in my case it has been almost entirely with pedals with an oval cross section. I think Ted is likely correct regarding the heavier-seeming construction of the I-beam clutch pedals being cast, at least in some instances, yours being one of them.

As a silly aside, I don't use the I-beam type pedals as I am a fan of symmetry and all the brake pedals I've had have had an oval cross section.

Charlie's comment about the brake switch activation wart (for want of a better word) on the side of the brake pedal reminds me that initially that wart was welded on and not part of the forging.
Yes, if I wasn't clear, I apologize. I was strictly talking about the I beam type of pedals and not the oval ones; which we all agree are forged.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As David posted, believe I have always worked with the oval cross-section pedals and they are forged.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #19
DavidG

No apology necessary; we're all just trying to learn.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

I'm also thinking that Ford must have had some issues with these pedals for, after '34, I don't think (now, I could be wrong) they used cast pedal arms again and went back to forged arms.