Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Barrett Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
If this came up for sale around me for $20K, it would be in my garage. Paperwork can be sorted out on an old car.

Think about how many model A's are running around that don't have anywhere near the correct paperwork.

That's all great for the initial DMV routine...……..until the accident victim's lawyers start looking into it and find "FRAUD" with the paperwork, or when YOUR insurance company declares that "That ain't THE car YOU represented it to be, hence...not the one WE insured"! It can get ugly in a hurry, guys. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #22
19Fordy

V8: Thanks for shedding light on that dubious vehicle.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
V8: Thanks for shedding light on that dubious vehicle.
There are a lot of assumptions being made that the car is a fraud. Not one of us was there, looking at the documentation, etc.

We are making a boat load of assumptions. It could be a simple typo or it could be a paperwork nightmare.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That's all great for the initial DMV routine...……..until the accident victim's lawyers start looking into it and find "FRAUD" with the paperwork, or when YOUR insurance company declares that "That ain't THE car YOU represented it to be, hence...not the one WE insured"! It can get ugly in a hurry, guys. DD
Maybe but I'd roll the dice. Many different ways to skin a cat in order to clean up the paperwork.

I just went through this and my paperwork is now a totally legit. Correct VIN and all.

Plus, I'd would turn it that '35 into a hot rod real quick.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #25
tubman

Quote:
I saw that, but I think it's a typo. Its listed in the auction as a 1935 Ford.
I'm with Mr. Coopman. Also, I don't think it's a typo because they were pretty deliberate pointing the differences out. I am also with you, for the right price, I would be interested as well, especially if it WAS a '36 (I like them better than '35's for a number of reasons).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #26

I doubt that it would be up there at auction if it was "dubious". Possibly just miscommunication and or poor marketing. Someone got a great deal while the others argued about it's legality or authenticity.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
mike in tucson

BJ is not the place to sell a pre war Ford unless it has some famous builder's name attached to it. The clients bidding are there either for a muscle type car or a bargain... not a semi-original car. Saturday will tell... the best cars are usually run across Sat night.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #28

My '36 roadster was titled as a '35. Someone changed the sheet metal long ago. There was never a problem with the title. As far as I know they go by VIN number not what sheet metal is on it.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95476 View Post
My '36 roadster was titled as a '35. Someone changed the sheet metal long ago. There was never a problem with the title. As far as I know they go by VIN number not what sheet metal is on it.
Correct. VIN is key, not sheet metal. Think of how many Model A's have '32 grilles.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
There are a lot of assumptions being made that the car is a fraud. Not one of us was there, looking at the documents. We are making a boat load of assumptions. It could be a simple typo or it could be a paperwork nightmare.

No assumptions here....everything that I stated data-wise came directly from the obvious info printed in the auction ad. Also note that "they" made sure to HI-LITE that the car was "TITLED AS A 1935 FORD", even though Barrett knew that something was askew with the serial number being for a '36. They are covering their own butts so as not to misrepresent the facts.

I DID NOT say that there was any FRAUD going-on with that car, but when the authorities and or the insurers need to get involved for ANY "not-good" reason, you can just about be assured that the word "fraud" or fraudulent" will come-up in the conversation. And if it's involved in any damage accident, there WILL BE a trial. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #31
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
No assumptions here....everything that I stated data-wise came directly from the obvious info printed in the auction ad. Also note that "they" made sure to HI-LITE that the car was "TITLED AS A 1935 FORD", even though Barrett knew that something was askew with the serial number being for a '36. They are covering their own butts so as not to misrepresent the facts.

I DID NOT say that there was any FRAUD going-on with that car, but when the authorities and or the insurers need to get involved for ANY "not-good" reason, you can just about be assured that the word "fraud" or fraudulent" will come-up in the conversation. And if it's involved in any damage accident, there WILL BE a trial. DD
I'm going to bail out of this conversation. DD, we will have to agree to disagree.

To each his own I guess. I still say a lot of assumptions are being made. Could be a typo or it could be bad paperwork.

It all depends how bad you want a '35 3 window.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I'm going to bail out of this conversation. DD, we will have to agree to disagree.

To each his own I guess. I still say a lot of assumptions are being made. Could be a typo or it could be bad paperwork.

It all depends how bad you want a '35 3 window.

Hey Tim....WE will amicably disagree on this one. But it just may be that you can wait two or three weeks or so and contact the lucky purchaser. If he has since found some possible problem getting it registered in his home state (some states can be a bitch), he just MIGHT be willing to accept your $20K offer. Truth be known, put all that sheet metal on a legit '35 frame with a good title and you're "golden". Or even better, make a '36 out of it and go on down the road. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #33
CHuDWah

Paperwork notwithstanding and based only on listing pictures, the OP car looks comparable to the red one also linked in this thread. The latter car is more hot-roddy but it's still flathead powered. OTOH, it's a 5-window trunk vs a supposedly more desirable 3-window rumble seat. Yet it sold for more than four times as much. I know there's plenty of money in Palm Beach but I wouldn't think that alone explains the difference.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #34
JayChicago

Here's another assumption, a perhaps/maybe/possible explanation for the 36 with a 35 title:
I think I read that back in the day, a few states did not issue a title with a model year. Their titles showed year of manufacture. (maybe this practice was a throw-back to the Model T days when cars did not have model year changes) In that case, an early 36 made/sold in 35 would have been given a title showing 1935.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Here's another assumption, a perhaps/maybe/possible explanation for the 36 with a 35 title:
I think I read that back in the day, a few states did not issue a title with a model year. Their titles showed year of manufacture. (maybe this practice was a throw-back to the Model T days when cars did not have model year changes) In that case, an early 36 made/sold in 35 would have been given a title showing 1935.

This car wasn't built THAT early. It was built over 180,300 cars into the 1936 serial numbers. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #36
tubman

How about some detail pictures of the rear fenders (especially the rear tips) or the cowl sides? It looks like this is a "put-together" car, so that may not even be definitive. I am starting to see why the value is not what one would think.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #37
VeryTangled

What the heck is going on with the crankcase breather/oil fill on the end of that flexi-hose crap?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (58.6 KB, 263 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-17-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added pic
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
What the heck is going on with the crankcase breather/oil fill on the end of that flexi-hose crap?

I saw that! Has to be some kind of home-brew Astro Ventilation System or hot air heater rig abortion. At least he used that cute '35 breather thingie. I would really like to see some detail pics on that car. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #39
Kube

I've been watching this thread and want to (finally) add that this car was bought "about right" in my opinion.
It isn't that nice of a car. Maybe a decent driver.
Guys, this ain't 1995 anymore. These cars are losing value - like it or not, that's reality.

Last edited by Kube; 01-18-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #40
3Dueces

Maybe if it was a five window...'35 and '36 three window coupes are probably some of the most sought after Fords in my opinion...And not to mention they're just plain sexy!

Last edited by 3Dueces; 01-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.
3Dueces is offline   Reply With Quote