Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 Ranch wagon with a 302 engine.

I installed a radiator overflow tank/bottle on my 55 to capture any coolant that came off the radiator. My question is: Do I use the same radiator cap thats on there now? Its a 13psi cap without a pressure relief lever on it. A guy here in town told me that the cap had to be one that has a vacuum valve or something like that so that the coolant could be sucked back up to the radiator to refiil the radiator. What do you guys think about this? Thank you kindly for your help.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 1955 Ranch wagon with a 302 engine.

Use the same radiator cap. I have a similar set up on my 302 powered 48 and it works great.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 Ranch wagon with a 302 engine.

Quote:
A guy here in town told me that the cap had to be one that has a vacuum valve or something like that so that the coolant could be sucked back up to the radiator to refiil the radiator.
No special cap needed although one was offered.

What happens with a recovery bottle is that when the coolant cools after shutdown, it creates a partial vacuum causing the radiator cap to open (valve inside) allowing outside air to be drawn equalizing system pressure. Once equalized the valve closes.

With the bottle, the system draws coolant rather that atmosphere and that prevents air bubbles/air locks in the system. It also allows coolant that is purged due to heat expansion to be sent to the bottle rather than the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COOLANT RECOVERY KIT - D0AZ 8522-A _4_crop.jpg (47.6 KB, 1 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
poolplayer1

Thanks to both of you for your response. Kultulz,I apreciate your explanation of how the coolant system works in the car. I Learn something else new all the time here with you great guys.As usuall,all the help is greatly apreciated.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
poolplayer1

I need to replace the speedometer cable on my 55 Ranch Wagon. I have the origional dash speedometer that had a 3 speed manual transmission cable but now I am using a automatic C4 tranny. Where can I order a cable that will work on both the dash speedometer and will fit on the C4 tranny. Also, the tranny speedo drive gear has 18 teeth.Is this right for this automatic transmission? I tried a universal cable but did not work well. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
paul2748

Mustang cables - there are two kinds for the earlier Mustangs, one has the correct ends you will need. Find out how long it has to be and start looking on ebay. Like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
I need to replace the speedometer cable on my 55 Ranch Wagon. I have the origional dash speedometer that had a 3 speed manual transmission cable but now I am using a automatic C4 tranny. Where can I order a cable that will work on both the dash speedometer and will fit on the C4 tranny. Also, the tranny speedo drive gear has 18 teeth.Is this right for this automatic transmission? I tried a universal cable but did not work well. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang cable.jpg (23.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
dmsfrr

The gear at the end of the original '55 speedo cable will probably look like the white one in the first image.

The speedo gear for the newer transmission may look like the 2nd or 3rd photo???

They are sold with different numbers of teeth to help match the speedometer to actual road speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '55-'56 speedo gear.jpg (14.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 'later' speedo gear.jpg (21.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg speedo gear.jpg (9.2 KB, 3 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
poolplayer1

Thanks Paul and dmsfrr for your help.I will measure the cable to see how long it is and than do some research on ebay to see if I can find the cable.Apreciate your help.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 Ranch wagon with a 302 engine.

Try these guys - https://www.speedoservice.com/speedometers.html

They can make a custom cable setup and help you to find the proper gear(s).

Oh ... THANX for thr thanx ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
paul2748

The C-4 usually uses the middle (red) one. I have a C-4 on two cars (different years C-4) and both of then use the red type gear.

Generally, the different colors of the gears mean different tooth count . Usually, ebay has lots of gears listed so they are easily available

The cable I noted above uses the red type gear, is used with a clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
The gear at the end of the original '55 speedo cable will probably look like the white one in the first image.

The speedo gear for the newer transmission may look like the 2nd or 3rd photo???

They are sold with different numbers of teeth to help match the speedometer to actual road speed.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
poolplayer1

I did a little research last week in trying to find out which speedometer cable would work on my oem speed cluster and at the same time,on my C4 tranny. I came up with a cable from a 65 mustang. Its a 60" long cable and has the correct ends for both the speed cluster and the tranny. It came in friday and installed it on saturday. I also ordered and installed the speed driven gear at the tranny.I got a Red type that has 19 teeth.
After replacing both,I took it for a drive and it worked great. I have an app. on my iphone called speedo box.As I was driving along,I compared the speed on the phone to my speedometer and it was right on.Pretty accurate.
Just in case any of you have a 55 ford station wagon like me and want to replace the cable and drive gear,here are the part #'s that i used to order:
Cable-C5DZ-17260-A
(Red) driven gear at the tranny- TCI-881003.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
paul2748

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out and glad it turned out good.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
poolplayer1

First of all,I want to thank all you guys that helped me with idea's or advice on finding the speedometer cable.Now,I have a question for anyone here who has repaired or replaced the driver side door latch ( don't know the correct name for it).Its not the striker plate on the body.Its the little wheel or roller wheel that is on the door side.That little wheel is very loose and almost coming apart so I want to fix it or replace it. I don't have the part # for that little wheel so I am hoping that someone has a body parts book that can identify that part for me.Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
paul2748

Poolplayer - a suggestion. When dealing with a new subject (problem) it usually better to start a new thread. This way the new problem doesn't get lost under an old heading.

Sorry - but can't help on the new problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
First of all,I want to thank all you guys that helped me with idea's or advice on finding the speedometer cable.Now,I have a question for anyone here who has repaired or replaced the driver side door latch ( don't know the correct name for it).Its not the striker plate on the body.Its the little wheel or roller wheel that is on the door side.That little wheel is very loose and almost coming apart so I want to fix it or replace it. I don't have the part # for that little wheel so I am hoping that someone has a body parts book that can identify that part for me.Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
miker98038

I think Paul’s right on a new thread. But I think the door mechanism is the same on all 55’s. I think 56 used a different (wider) mechanism on both the door and jamb as part of the safety package in 56. So I think it’s the same as my bird. I bought new replacements some years ago and I think they’re still available. Down side is you have to pull the door panel and all the latch mechanism to replace it. It’s worth it, they had a reputation for coming open when new. That’s why the upgrade in 56.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
poolplayer1

Thanks to both of you for your reply's. I will start a new thread on this other question that I have. Need to see if I can get a part # for that latch.