Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
CWPASADENA

Thumbs down Differential bearings, have not seen this before???

Has any one ever tried to use L'32-34 Carrier Bearing Cups, in a 39 Rear end?

I recently took apart a 39 rear end and this was the case. Because of the smller L'32-'34 Cups, the ring gear was too deep into the L/H axle housing and the back side of the ring gear was rubbing on the inside of the bell. It also semed to have a bit too much back lash. It had been run some this way but made such a noise it would wake up the dead.

I guess the guy who did this did not have very high standards. As long as the car would move, that was good enough.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass this along.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
2ndgeer

Default Re: Differential bearings, have not seen this before???

Chris,
Your story reminded me of another episode that involves a differential. Apologies if this is off topic. More than 50 years ago a friend of mine needed a vehicle to use in the Inyo Mountains so he could map the geology for his Master's thesis. Anyway, he bought a Model A pickup from a Japanese-American over on Sawtelle. He used it a while in the field but the rear end made a lot of noise. He took it into a garage in Big Pine. When the mechanic put it on the rack and removed the drain plug from the differential SALT WATER came out! It seems the previous owner loved surf fishing and routinely backed the pickup into the surf to fish from the bed.

Al B
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
bobH

Chris, My memory is fading... I 'think' that the difference in L32-34 carrier bearings, vs 35-up, is SUPPOSED to accomodate the difference in banjo widths???? I'm sure someone will correct me, if I have another case of crs.
In the case of your 39, I'd assume that someone simply screwed-up. It's hard to believe that someone would actually drive it as such, and tolerate the noise it must have made.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

Bob, You are correct.

The L'32-34 narrow banjo used "18-" Part Number Carrier Bearings which are smaller then the "68-" Carrier Bearings used in the wide 37-48 rear ends. I believe the 35-36 rear axles, while the banjo was wide, the axle housings were designed to use the smaller "18-" Carrier bearings. Both the cones will press onto the ring gear and carrier but the "18-" has smaller rollers. With the ring gear so far away from the pinion, obiviously the guy was not too concerned about back lash.

After doing all the work to overhaul the differential before, the guy must have been a bit disappointed. May be that is why he sold the car???

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 05-17-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: TYPO and incomplete, MORE INFORMATION
Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Question Re: Differential bearings, have not seen this before???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgeer View Post
Chris,
Your story reminded me of another episode that involves a differential. Apologies if this is off topic. More than 50 years ago a friend of mine needed a vehicle to use in the Inyo Mountains so he could map the geology for his Master's thesis. Anyway, he bought a Model A pickup from a Japanese-American over on Sawtelle. He used it a while in the field but the rear end made a lot of noise. He took it into a garage in Big Pine. When the mechanic put it on the rack and removed the drain plug from the differential SALT WATER came out! It seems the previous owner loved surf fishing and routinely backed the pickup into the surf to fish from the bed.

Al B
I can only imagine what the parts inside of the differentialhousing lookied like.

Chris
Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

So, you're saying that saltwater is not a good lubricant??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote