Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Tom Z...

Default chrome bumpers

How does the chrome platters remove the old pealing chrome? Is there some way that I could strip it at home. I have 40F bumpers that have the chrome pealing off. Thanks Tom
Tom Z... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: chrome bumpers

A friend of mine used to work in the largest plating company in Seattle and they did all the de chroming for all the other chrome shops in the area. Not sure what the solution the parts are immersed in is but it is done with electrical current. This doesn't make scratches in the steel surface.
If you sand or grind it off you will have to pay for getting the steel as smooth as glass before the parts get copper plated, then nickel and chrome.

I am glad I had him do all my plating for all my project cars while he was there because of the costs now to do plating. Interesting story-- The business set him up with his own plant next to Boeing Everett that plates Jet engine turbine blade leading edges that have something like 8 layers of some exotic metal over the titanium with special bathes in between. At the time (8 years ago) he was the one of 2 people on the west coast certified by Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce and GE to do this plating so he knew what he was doing.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
19Fordy

Don't try to remove the old chrome yourself. You will damage the surface and it will cost you a lot more to have it rechromed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
waterboychuck

Leave your bumper alone and let the chrome shop handle the stripping. By the way I paid $1800 for the front and rear bumpers on on 46 about 3 years ago. It's not cheap but they look great.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Chrome plating can be removed by performing a reverse electroplating. Chrome is affixed to metal through the process of electroplating, in which electric current is used to bind chrome to the metal at a molecular level. By reversing this process, chrome plating can be removed extremely effectively. However, doing so can be extremely dangerous. Not only does the process involve a live electric current, but also produces several toxic, carcinogenic chemicals as products of the reaction. Hexavalent chromium, for instance, is one extremely dangerous product. Thus, this process is best left to professionals.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
Tinker

you can strip a bumper with a angle grinder and a 60/80 lap disc or wire wheel. weld holes etc and have it plated. cost, I'd don't know. family member just gave me a milk can that was copper plated, somehow that was plated.

call the person you are doing the plating with and ask them. makes more sense then asking here.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-19-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Tom Z...

Thanks for the info about removing chrome from bumpers. I will let the platter do it. Deuce Roadster, I was stationed at Pane Field AFB in the 60's now Boeing Everett. Is you friend still there? Tom Z...
Tom Z... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

Tom Z, as of 2 years ago he was. He gave me a tour of his operation and it was pretty interesting. His workplace is West of Paine Field but you can see where the end of the main runway is from his office. I was stationed at McChord AFB now Joint Base Lewis McCord 70-76.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote