Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #21
Paul Bjarnason

Default Re: Best fuel and exhaust system for power

Thanks for the tip -- Bert's is $80 cheaper than Mac's for the Weber setup. When you got the Weber setup, was it properly jetted for your Model A -- or did you have to fiddle?
Thanks. Bj
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #22
denis4x4

In as much as Bert's is in Littleton and I'm in Durango, the Weber was correctly jetted out of the box. However, the beauty of the Weber is how easy it is to tune. Making sure that you can get both butterflies fully opened using the Model A linkage is key to great performance.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #23
Ronnie Lawson

Paul, the carbs work great. I get about 11 mpg. I got the car from California. The headers were custom built. I don't know who made the intake manifold or the headers.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

I've had REAL good luck running dual updrafts with model B carburetors . I won't say that it is the fastest setup but if the carbs are good, most can just bolt them on and run without ANY mods to the carbs . Updraft carbs don't flood like downdrafts and you get to keep the original style choke and GAV controls . I've seen dyno. tests that showed a 10 horsepower increase with dual updraft carbs . Depending on tuning and engine condition , A person can expect to pick up a few more MPH when using dual carbs . Just my experience .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I've had REAL good luck running dual updrafts with model B carburetors . I won't say that it is the fastest setup but if the carbs are good, most can just bolt them on and run without ANY mods to the carbs . Updraft carbs don't flood like downdrafts and you get to keep the original style choke and GAV controls . I've seen dyno. tests that showed a 10 horsepower increase with dual updraft carbs . Depending on tuning and engine condition , A person can expect to pick up a few more MPH when using dual carbs . Just my experience .
I have been told by several guys who run dual updraft "A" or "B" carbs that they actually get better gas mileage than with a single updraft. This sounds counter-intuitive to me yet they insist that it is true.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #26
pbishop

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I installed a Weber two-barrel on my Model A with an aluminum ‘down draft intake manifold’ purchased together from 'Mike's'. I do not use a fuel pump with this set-up. I do have to keep the gas cap loose to insure a steady flow of petrol through the modern gas filter placed directly below the gas tank exit via the fire-wall. Cylinders have been bored and replaced with pistons to .010 over and the flywheel has been dished to reduce its weight.

The car will do a continuous 60 mph with just a little effort after running through its standard 3 speed gearbox. I have a new radiator so there is no problem with temp – generally runs around 180 degrees when sitting in Florida summer traffic (Tampa).
My exhaust manifold and muffler are standard Model A (but I understand that the replacement cast-iron/ or a modern header would add 10+ horsepower, but cost is something I have to keep in mind. The accountant (wife) limits what I am able/allowed to purchase. Happy wife, happy life!

The car will do 65 mph for about 5 miles before it begins to starve for fuel with this set-up, at which point it begins to cut-out for lack of fuel. Fuel pump would solve the problem, but I am happy with the performance as it is. 35 miles to work and I take it on a 45-55 mph state road to work about once a month.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I have been told by several guys who run dual updraft "A" or "B" carbs that they actually get better gas mileage than with a single updraft. This sounds counter-intuitive to me yet they insist that it is true.

I wasn't really concerned about gas mileage when I converted to dual updraft carbs. Mine do seem to perform better than expected . I know that better gas mileage with dual updraft carbs sounds counter-intuitive but what can I say ??? I won't argue about the matter .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #28

Stromberg 97
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB140001.JPG (99.8 KB, 80 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #29
Jim Brierley

Paul, Don't listen to folks that have not run things, like 2 carbs. These engines have big cylinders and can use a lot of air. I run three Stromberg 81's on my speedster, and it runs great and gets good gas mileage. A pair of 97's is not too much but one is batter for most mild engines.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #30
Jw

dual 81's, very fast!
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #31
Paul Bjarnason

Jim - I now have your book. A good read. The "big" Stromberg 97 with its 250 cfm capacity looks interesting. My new motor from Schwalms has touring cam (Model B, I guess), a 6/1 head, V-8 flywheel and clutch, and full pressurized oiling. I like the idea of Strombergs because they are "period" correct. Plus, I cannot find CFM specs for the Webers, although the Webers do look pretty good -- such variety and good support. I want good power and driveability. What exactly would you suggest? The Secretsofspeed society offers a variety of manifolds, including a dual carb manifold: http://www.secretsofspeed.com/intake-manifolds.htm I wonder if one "big" 97 might be the way to go. Your thoughts?! Anyone's thoughts!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #32
AL in NY

To get more horsepower you need to get more air/fuel mixture into the engine with less restrictions. The best way is to open up the intake valves. Putting big carburetors and manifolds on will help somewhat, but the intake flow is still restricted by the 1.5 inch intake valves. If your thinking about more performance and you're building a new engine, invest in 1.75 inch intake valves, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #33
Paul Bjarnason

Hi Al - I agree and I did get the upsized intake valves on my engine, for $275. What carburetor and exhaust setup do you have and what do you think of it? Thanks. Bj
Old 11-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

$275 for 4 intake valves? Ouch
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #35
AL in NY

Tom, the engine builder has to enlarge the intake valve seats to fit the 1.75" intake valves.

Paul, I am running a "B" carburetor and intake manifold with the standard Model A exhaust manifold. I don't like the looks of a downdraft carburetor on a Model A. I wanted a few more horses without getting to radical. My truck will cruise all day at 65 MPH, but I don't like to do it very often. If I'm in a hurry, I climb into my modern car.