Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
rottenron36

Default 36 pickup steering box adjustment help needed

I know most barners like 37 and later boxes. My 36 steering box is in good shape and I am trying to get the adjustment just right. I bought the kit to rebuild the 2 adjusters and installed them. I have 3 sources on how to adjust it correctly, and have followed them as best I could. I am feeling good about the adjustment, but would like any tips or help from anyone with more experience than myself. As always, Thanks for any help. Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: 36 pickup steering box adjustment help needed

Its important to have the sector on the crown of the worm when the wheels are straight ahead ,the cam adjustment does this ,on some models you can screw the tie rod end to sort this ,In my National service darter book (USA) they recommend you bend the sector,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It should be slightly tight when you move the wheel through the centered position. It should feel like a very slight resistance. The best way to be able to get the correct adjustment (feel) is to remove the drag link. It can be done with both front tires off the grounf, but it is much more difficult to feel if the adjustment is correct.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Mart

What the guys say above.

Grab the steering wheel. Pull it towards you and push it away. Does it move? If it does, adjust the worm bearings.

Drop the drag link.

Find the straight ahead position on the steering box by counting turns from lock to lock and going half way.

Turn the steering wheel past the straight ahead position. back and forth. Is there any resistance near the straight ahead?

Yes? Jump to the next paragraph.

No? carefully make the adjustment to make it tighter until you just start to feel a resistance as you pass the straight ahead position. This is the sweet spot for the steering.

Yes? Is the resistance too heavy? if so slack it off and creep up against the sweet spot as described above.

Once the steering box is in the sweet spot adjust the drag link so it corresponds with the wheels being in the straight ahead position.

The above assumes the toe-in is already set correctly and that the kingpins, wheel bearings, tyre pressures and tie rod ends are all in good shape. If they are all good, after carrying out the above procedure that will be as good as it gets.

The instructions are generic and can be applied to any steering box equipped vehicle.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
rottenron36

Thanks for all your help. I should have said the box is out of the pickup, as we are fitting up and getting ready for finish body and paint. The pitman arm is on, and I'm adjusting it in a vise. Looks like I will have to finish it when it is installed. Thanks again, Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote