Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
davehc

Default Huge Barn Find

This is a link to a story that was in a Haggerty e-mail today . Very huge barn find , all for sale .
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...28_HagertyNews
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Huge Barn Find

100k???

pretty ambitious
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
vulture

I would be a player for the 1966 bronco and would love to have a early bronco 1966 to 1977
Old 11-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
modelAsteve

You're classic "I'm going to restore them someday" deal!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
updraught

Is that barn made in the USA?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
You're classic "I'm going to restore them someday" deal!
That is exactly what I had to tell people before I could get around to fixing up any of my model A's . Most wanted to buy them for a small fraction . I mostly tried to kept my stuff hidden .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
BORN2L8

I live about 2 hours north of the barn. I stopped by years ago and spoke with the owner. We couldn't believe it when we saw the barn collapsed. Sad to see so many good cars damaged.
BORN2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
40 Deluxe

Maybe we can look at the bright side. If this gentleman had not stuffed these cars in his barn, someone else would have bought them and wore them out or wrecked them, and they ALL would be gone by now! So whatever vehicles and parts that can be salvaged from this collapse is a plus for the hobby.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Lona

Gets me angry to see something like this. I see many negative comments from Barners regarding guys who hot rod their A's but little criticism when some old guy does this. Obviously, the barn roof leaked for years and his cars had been wasting away for a very long time before the barn collapsed and he was well aware of it. We are only custodians of our cars. Many if not most of them were built before we were born and it is my opinion that we have a responsibility to take care of them and pass them on, not let them get to the condition of these cars on purpose. He was not a collector but a hoarder who apparently felt no responsibility whatsoever to preserve his treasures. Now, unless someone spends money in excess of what they are worth when restored, very few will ever be on the road again. What a waste.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
braol

My wife keeps warning me that if i put one more thing in the garage that this will happen...I always used to laugh at her, no more!
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
77Birdman

It truly is a shame and a waste of some nice autos, however they were his cars to do with what he wanted. If knowing they were in his barn made him happy then so be it. There is a car down the street from me (its quite new compared to an 'A') that I tried a couple of times to buy. It is sitting next to a run down trailer home and rotting away. The owners son whom I talked to said his dad bought the car new and plans to restore it someday. I am pretty sure that will never happen and the car will continue to deteriorate until its gone. But it sure is the guys right to do what he wants with it, and I respect that.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
eagle

I have a shed full of stuff that can be seen from the road. I've had several people stop in and INSIST that I sell something to them. Irritates me to no end. When its for sale, I'll put a sign up. I also sometimes get sick when I see something deteriorating away somewhere but if kept out of the weather, a little oil in the cylinders, an old car will be just fine for many years. BUT, ownership is absolute. If some old guy gets some pleasure out of knowing he's got a pipedream out in his shed, or in his woods rotting away, that's none of my business. Guess I'm kind of an ornery cuss, but I'm not much for people trying to control me. And YET I still live in Minnesota! Land of 10,000 laws. Go Figure...
Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
Dick Steinkamp

There are lots of ways to enjoy the old car hobby. I think it is self centered and mean spirited to insist that everyone do it the way you do it. If you enjoy the challenge of a nut-and-bolt restoration...do it. If building a hot rod turns your crank...have at it. If collecting old iron and doing nothing with it is your cup of tea...go for it.

Face it. There will always be hobbyists with different interests, directions, ideas, goals, and ways of having fun with cars. It would probably be best to make peace with that fact.

It's a hobby...not a religion. Have fun with it and allow others to have fun.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
There are lots of ways to enjoy the old car hobby. I think it is self centered and mean spirited to insist that everyone do it the way you do it. If you enjoy the challenge of a nut-and-bolt restoration...do it. If building a hot rod turns your crank...have at it. If collecting old iron and doing nothing with it is your cup of tea...go for it.

Face it. There will always be hobbyists with different interests, directions, ideas, goals, and ways of having fun with cars. It would probably be best to make peace with that fact.

VERY well said. Thank you.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

x2, even though I feel a little sad when an older restoration or somewhat original is rodded or rat rodded or customized . I just feel there is a loss of character/history of the A.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
28Ca8149

I have a barn 50x85 full of toys from a bycycle to catterpitor tractors and I sold some cars for $150 each that are now worth thousands of $ But next year I am going to retire . Some of the cars are the only ones in Canada .selling is like getting a divorce or your loved one dies but put it this way I have had a lot of enjoyment with my collection over the years
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote