Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #21
wingski

Default Re: trouble shooting

Here's a picture. I hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine for ford barn.jpg (427.9 KB, 181 views)
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
stewwolfe

Bypass the filters and you will probably solve the problem. I put an inline filter on my Roadster and could never get it to run right. Removed the filter and never had another problem. Modern filters don't do well with gravity feed systems, and with two of them you are doubling the problem.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #23
SAJ

Wingski the glass fuel bowl should be full of fuel not half full of air as in your pic. Loosen a union nut after the bowl to let the air bleed out and the bowl should fill. Then test the fuel flow after each of the filters and see if it is a full pipe-diameter flow into a catch can rather than a piddle into a catch can.
Those filters may be restricting the flow and causing lean running.
If the glass bowl will not fill when the top union is loose, then there is a blockage between the tank and the bowl.
We recently found an earwig in the fuel tap in a car! Each time I blew the pipe clear the earwig shot back up into the tank and then re-dived head first into the tap again after a few miles. The bowl had a partial vacuum and air in it as a tell-tale of the blockage.
In your case it is likely the filters will not flow enough under gravity feed without a pump.
SAJ in NZ
STEWWOLFE types faster than me.
By the way you have a nice looking engine set up to my old eyes
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #24
Mr. J

If you're getting fuel past the glass bowl I would take the nut loose on the bottom of the tillys to see if the fuel is making it that far if it don't pour out at a good rate it could be the jet clogged in the bottom of the bowl or a float or needle valve issue but if you are getting good flow then your main jet could be clogged, just a couple of thoughts, I had the same issu, I put an inline filter and where my tank is rusty rust particles would stop up the line from the tank to the filter, poped l the filter off turned the valve on and let it flush the line out pop it back together and fired right up
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

Wingski,
"Somebody" did some IMPRESSIVE looking work! I can see why you DON'T want to go back to STOCK!
I "wonder" if the manifold was painted with Cast Blast? I've heard it works well for HOT manifolds.
Bill W.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
100IH

Fuel line to the front carb. looks to rise a bit before it heads downward to the float bowl. Remove the filter ( both of them) and the fuel lines will head downward and not trap air in the high spots which stops the flow. How do you expect to balance the airflow through the dual carbs, the exhaust is in the way. That's the first step in setting up the carbs. so one isn't rich and the other is lean while it idles on only one?
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #27
wingski

You were right. The inline filters were not made for gravity feed. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
wingski

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
Bypass the filters and you will probably solve the problem. I put an inline filter on my Roadster and could never get it to run right. Removed the filter and never had another problem. Modern filters don't do well with gravity feed systems, and with two of them you are doubling the problem.
I removed both filter elements from the holders. I'll start it up when it warms up a little outside. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #29
jax55

I am also thinking fuel and fuel filters. Was on a tour with our club and one car was having similar issues as you did. After gong through a lot of things because "it could not be a fuel issue, the filter is clean.. see?"
Long story short, took the filter off and viola, ran fine. Just to rule that out, bypass the filters and see if it runs.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #30
Tinsara

I agree that vapor lock may be the issue. steroids for sale Fuel filters clogged are also an easy thing to check as well as a tight connection along the exhaust system from manifold gasket to the tail pipe opening.

Last edited by Tinsara; 10-13-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Tinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #31
Bob from Northport

Check the gas cap vent hole. Remove the gas cap and see if it runs better.
No inline filters. Look inside the gas tank and see the small filter there.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #32
Patrick L.

It would have been nice to hear just what the problem. Since there was no response I guess it was the filters.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #33
chap52

Hey winski, don't leave us hanging. What did you find to be the problem?
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #34
100IH

There was a diet pill stuck in between the 2 tillys. I have one comment other than what I posted in post #26. The comment about vapor lock is non-sense. You stated that the car only ran a very short distance (in December). It takes heat to boil gasoline.

Last edited by 100IH; 01-22-2018 at 12:24 PM.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #35
Purdy Swoft

I run dual updraft carbs on two of my model A's . Running dual updraft carbs isn't as copmplicated to tune as a dual downdraft setup . People that have never ran dual carbs often get the setups confused . This is usually because of what they have read or heard about running dual down draft carbs . With an open plenium manifold and updraft carbs you can disconnect the linkage and check the carbs one at a time while the car is parked and running . One carb will still feed all of the cylinders . You can rev one carb at a time and see how it runs . I doubt that you have a carburetor problem . If you have one good carb it would still run the car . you probably wouldn't know if the other carb was actually working unless the linkage was disconnected and each carb was tested one at a time as I described above . What I'm getting at is its not likely that both carbs would go out at the same time . I would remove both of the inline filters as they are not needed in any case . I don't know what that red thing is that connects between the glass bowl filter and fuel line but it could be a problem and I would remove it . The less parts that the fuel has to flow through before it reaches the carburetor , the better . Seeing that the glass bowl filter isn't full of gas usually indicates an air block . Gas doesn't easily flow through an air block unless the choke is applied and then it still usually doesn't run very good . Imagine how much gas could be flowing while choking both carbs . I only choke one carb . Choking two carbs is just way too much . If you have ever looked at multi card setups on later cars, they only choke one carb . I had my share of problems with glass bowl filters . I now only use the old original style cast iron bulb filters .The only filters that you need is the firewall mounted filter and a stand up filter in the cut off valve under the tank . I consider the stand up filter a must and use it on all of my model A's . It doesn't take a lot of rust or trash to stop up the cut off valve and starve the engine . The stand up filter stands up in the tank and will filter out any rust or trash inside the tank . I would feel out the fuel lines and fittings for a leak . It doesn't take much of a crack in a fuel line or fittings to cause a problem with gas flow with a dual carb setup , its happened to me !!! It could be a vacume leak anywhere from the carb flange to the manifold connection at the engine block. Carburetor cleaner sprayed around these connections while the engine runs will help detect the vacume leak . The engine will speed up when carb cleaner is sprayed over the leak , be carefull . There is al;so the possibility of vacume leaks , anywhere ftom the vacume line connection at the intake manifold to the vacume wiper motor if you use one . I would first plug the vacume hole in the intake before testing the engine for vacume leaks . this should make it easier to single them out . The only way that you would ever get a vapor lkock would be if you were runningethanol fuel . If you have run or left ethanol fuel in the tank, this could be the whole problem. If ethanol fuel has caused the problem it will need the tank and system to be drained and flushed . the jets in the carbs will also need cleaned and compressed air blown through the jets and passages . Just a few thoughts of possibilities .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 01-22-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added more info . and added punctuation .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #36
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Be sure to check your fuel line. It should be just past the ferrules and not bottoming out in the sediment bowl or the carb. If the line is too far in it will impede the gas flow.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #37
oldforder

To get in line filters that work for gravity feed, just get ones for a lawn mower. They flow with gravity just like they weren't even there.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote