Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Unshielded wires

While I am problem solving my cooling issues there is another thing I want to ask about. I have lacquer covered cloth wires on my Flathead. I believe they are non shielded. When I first installed the engine I could not get readings on my multimeter, it would just go nuts. I bought a laser temp gun to pinpoint on my engine what temps it is at and that thing goes nuts too. I imagine I am getting all these wacky readings on my equipment because of the wires correct?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Unshielded wires

If the readings you're referring to are being made with a digital multimeter and are being made with the engine running, these erratic readings are due to interference from the high voltage ignition circuit. This would apply to the laser temp gun as well if being used when the engine is running. The only shielded wire that I know of used in these old cars of ours is the radio antenna wire. Unshielded wires are not the cause of what you are experiencing. Get yourself an analog multimeter for measurements being made with the engine running. As for the laser temp gun, turn the engine off and then take your measurement....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 05-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Vanspeed

Yes with the engine running. What is so special about my ignition? If I use the same tools on my 100% stock 1960 F-100, all my tools read normal. It has the same voltage regulator, basically the same generator......

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
If the readings you're referring to are being made with a digital multimeter and are being made with the engine running, these erratic readings are due to interference from the high voltage ignition circuit. This would apply to the laser temp gun as well if being used when the engine is running. The only shielded wire that I know of used in these old cars of ours is the radio antenna wire. Unshielded wires are not the cause of what you are experiencing. Get yourself an analog multimeter for measurements being made with the engine running. As for the laser temp gun, turn the engine off and then take your measurement....
Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
petehoovie

On your '60 F1 - Probably condensers/capacitors installed at strategic locations and improved design of components to suppress noise. Let me correct my previous statement and say that solid core spark plug wires are probably contributing to your problem. Carbon core spark plug wires may be of help to you but I doubt they will eliminate the problem.....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 05-27-2020 at 09:08 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
drolston

Carbon core ignition wires can be unreliable if not terminated and handled with care. Solid core ignition wires are more original and very reliable, but will cause electromagnetic interference. I run Pertronix electronics in my crab distributor and they recommend spiral wound core ignition wires, which I did. Very reliable so far and no radio interference. My el-cheapo temperature gun works fine with the engine running, as does my digital volt meter.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
flatheadmurre

When running a more powerful ignition...lets say 12v and a can coil togetter with solidcore wires the transmitted interference getīs real bad...
As soon as you leave the original system with a low "reserve" you can run supression wires...why would they be unreliable...all later cars ainīt sitting by the roadside broken down constantly ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #7
Brian

Yeah, those EMF's are powerful...I asked a sparkie at work to help me diagnose some issue I was having with my 35. He approached it whilst engine was merely idling and 'blew' his flash Fluke meter. He still cries about that.....
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
5851a

I wonder how many delicate modern cars you could disable at a stop light.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
34billct

I run resistor plugs in my 34 and it seems to help.
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote