Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #61
Roxo

Default Re: installed a new 6:1 head now a tapping noise

My tapping noise was coming from the distributor hitting the Gasket. I did not expect that because the first time i did make sure to ream out the hole for the shaft. That's the part that puzzles me. The second time I got in a hurry and forgot to do that. I still herd a few light taps during a long time running. so I will inspect the distributor out further tomorrow. I did change out the upper shaft drilled for oiling. Maybe I missed something there also.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #62
Purdy Swoft

Check to make sure that the rotor tip isn't striking some of the spark plug wire contacts in the distributor cap body , as the distributor shaft turns . Sometimes the plug wire contacts are too long and needs to be filed for clearance . I think that Ford listed a gap of twenty five thousants at the rotor tip . Check the gap with a feeler gauge at all four contacts . The gap needs to be the same on all four . A little more gap is OK if its not too much . I set mine at thirty five thousants for hotter spark at the spark plugs . When the spark jumps , it gets hotter . I've seen them so close that the distributor cap would slightly jump as the engine ran .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #63
denniskliesen

Are you sure you dont have camshaft bounce? You can check for this by removing your timing pin, turning it around and if it has a rounded end hold it against the cam gear with engine at a slow idle. Apply pressure and most important know how far away that fan is from your hand. I have the tapping noise, camshaft bounce and am considering changing it out just to confirm its not a problem with the cam. I have regrind cam and new lifters to try.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #64
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Are you sure you dont have camshaft bounce? You can check for this by removing your timing pin, turning it around and if it has a rounded end hold it against the cam gear with engine at a slow idle. Apply pressure and most important know how far away that fan is from your hand. I have the tapping noise, camshaft bounce and am considering changing it out just to confirm its not a problem with the cam. I have regrind cam and new lifters to try.
That's something I was meaning to check also. I will check that tomorrow morning. so far truck is running good.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #65
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Check to make sure that the rotor tip isn't striking some of the spark plug wire contacts in the distributor cap body , as the distributor shaft turns . Sometimes the plug wire contacts are too long and needs to be filed for clearance . I think that Ford listed a gap of twenty five thousants at the rotor tip . Check the gap with a feeler gauge at all four contacts . The gap needs to be the same on all four . A little more gap is OK if its not too much . I set mine at thirty five thousants for hotter spark at the spark plugs . When the spark jumps , it gets hotter . I've seen them so close that the distributor cap would slightly jump as the engine ran .
I did check that this morning, it's one thing I did think of. Because it is a new cap I thought maybe it was hitting one of the contacts. Gap was good.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #66
30 Closed Cab PU

I do not know what type of noise happens, but I believe an overly tightened down screw for holding the distributor can make a noise. I am probably off base, but throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #67
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I do not know what type of noise happens, but I believe an overly tightened down screw for holding the distributor can make a noise. I am probably off base, but throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks.
well I'm new to the Model A so that could be. I might just be over tightening the screw. I will check that too.