Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Krylon32

Default Re: T5 guys TKX

We have a fairly good supply of S10 T5 cores with the electric speedo sender but the supply of good mechanical speedo trans cores has just about dried up.

Last edited by Krylon32; 11-20-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
We have a fairly good supply of S10 T5 cores with the electric speedo sender but the supply of mechanical speedo trans cores has just about dried up.
They're not as plentiful as they used to be, but they're still out there. A lot easier to find than a "GOOD" flathead block, for sure! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
jrvariel48

I'm digging this up a year later.
Does anyone know if the T5 and TKX are the same size? I'm wondering if this would fit in a 35 coupe. I have a T5 in there now.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #24
tubman

I'd like to know also; it seems that this question was not answered (at least not unequivocally) in the original thread.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
Krylon32

Addressing my post of a year ago our core supply of S10 T5's has diminished. We are still taking orders but I don't know for how long. I am starting a new FH powered deuce roadster and if I could get a TKX with the right length input shaft and bearing retainer I would use one. I did inquire about the front shifter and they said if it became available it would add about 300 to the cost.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Addressing my post of a year ago our core supply of S10 T5's has diminished. We are still taking orders but I don't know for how long. I am starting a new FH powered deuce roadster and if I could get a TKX with the right length input shaft and bearing retainer I would use one. I did inquire about the front shifter and they said if it became available it would add about 300 to the cost.
Gary ....I realize that your T5 experience is probably mostly geared toward YOUR proprietary adapter. Somehow, I have the idea that your T5 adapters were based on some form of FORD T5, rather than being based on the GM variants. When you get around to the input shaft lengths found in the close-ratio Camaro/Firebird V8 T5s with the 26-spline input shaft, they are generally shorter than the Ford shafts, and as such seem better fitted to bolting-up to a flathead using the one-piece cast adapters that accommodate the GM (Muncie) transmission case pattern. I'd look into the specs on a Chevy-type TKX, as it must surely be built to bolt-up to all of the go-fast Chevys out there, just like the GM T5s are. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
I'm digging this up a year later.
Does anyone know if the T5 and TKX are the same size? I'm wondering if this would fit in a 35 coupe. I have a T5 in there now.
I guess it would depend on what you did to your center crossmember to accommodate the T5. '35 & '40 frames are same general shape/size throughout, and I had a TKO 600 bolted into my '40 coupe. The TKX looks to be much cleaned-up, compared to the TKO. I would imagine a TKX would POSSIBLY go a little bit easier than a TKO. I can tell you that the TKO is larger than a T5, for sure. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I guess it would depend on what you did to your center crossmember to accommodate the T5. '35 & '40 frames are same general shape/size throughout, and I had a TKO 600 bolted into my '40 coupe. The TKX looks to be much cleaned-up, compared to the TKO. I would imagine a TKX would POSSIBLY go a little bit easier than a TKO. I can tell you that the TKO is larger than a T5, for sure. DD
Hey V8, I used Weedetr's crossmember. Here's the link.

https://www.weedetrstreetrod.com/eco...5-40-ford.html

I'm more concerned with shifter location and overall length.
Thanks, Joe
Old 11-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #29
robib

What does it cost to buy and rebuild a Toploader or buy one that has been rebuilt?
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #30
Krylon32

I don't know about a top loader but we get 1430.00 for a rebuilt S10 T5. That price includes a 1 year guarantee and shipping to any of the lower 48.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #31
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Hey V8, I used Weedetr's crossmember. Here's the link.

I'm more concerned with shifter location and overall length.
Thanks, Joe
Hey Joe ....The picture below is NOT my TKO/'40, but belongs to a Ford Barn member...can't remember name. I looked for this picture for three hours! But the setup is virtually the same as mine, and the replacement cross member is very much just like yours. I remember that I had to trim a slot in the top portion of mine too, to clear the rear-most shifter location boss. It'll go! And your blown flatty ain't gonna break that TKO. Dick D

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #32
jrvariel48

Well I see Speedway sells the TKX. I "assume" the input shaft measurements are good for the flywheel and pilot bushing. Now to find out if the tailshaft mount is the same distance from the front of the trans as the T5.
Anyone install a TKX?
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Treme...n-,107160.html
Old 11-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Well I see Speedway sells the TKX. I "assume" the input shaft measurements are good for the flywheel and pilot bushing. Now to find out if the tailshaft mount is the same distance from the front of the trans as the T5.
Anyone install a TKX?
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Treme...n-,107160.html
Joe ....I can't remember for sure which rear gear that you went with, but DO NOT overlook other optional gear ratios offered in the TKX line-up. For instance: This part number is the GM fitment with 2.87:1 1st gear and 0.81:1 5th gear overdrive and 26 spline input shaft. This ratio is more like a smooth progression to a 5th gear, rather than a shift to an overdrive, although it is a true O/D. What rear end ratio did you change to?

That sure is a bunch of money from Speedway. Seems like the trans alone can be had for about $2,800. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #34
tubman

I just clicked the link to look at it. I see they are saving you $319.01 and you still have to supply some of your own parts. I scrolled down the page, and some of their prices shocked me.

I will be continuing with my project of putting a stock OD setup in my car.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I just clicked the link to look at it. I see they are saving you $319.01 and you still have to supply some of your own parts. I scrolled down the page, and some of their prices shocked me.

Denny .....Pretty sure that the *OEM 3" Adapter Bellhousing that Speedway notes is one of the cast or Merc stamped-steel half-bells that need to be used on ANY 8BA standard shift set-up.....An UNDERSTANDABLE note. But I agree that as you noted, some of the pricing of ancillary pieces is NOT friendly!

On the other hand, if you ever drove one of these, or even a properly-geared T5 behind YOUR engine, you'd leave that stock O/D trans on the bottom shelf of your work bench! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-27-2021, 10:37 PM   #36
tubman

Not for four grand (plus all the labor) I wouldn't! And, I already have the half-bell and starter plate (both types).

Anyway, I've got all of the ancillary stuff (lockout cable, relay, kickdown switch, and the wiring harness) already in. Now, to just install the transmission. The 4 speed in my Corvette is getting to be too much for me; I like the idea of "clutch-less" driving in 2nd OD.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #37
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Joe ....I can't remember for sure which rear gear that you went with, but DO NOT overlook other optional gear ratios offered in the TKX line-up. For instance: This part number is the GM fitment with 2.87:1 1st gear and 0.81:1 5th gear overdrive and 26 spline input shaft. This ratio is more like a smooth progression to a 5th gear, rather than a shift to an overdrive, although it is a true O/D. What rear end ratio did you change to?

That sure is a bunch of money from Speedway. Seems like the trans alone can be had for about $2,800. DD
Hey V8, I went with the 4.11 rear ratio. I think the 2.87 with the .81 overdrive will work out nicely!
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #38
jrvariel48

Quote:

Definitely not a cheap set-up if you're starting from the beginning.
For me, it'll be some minor alterations as I already have the correct clutch, bellhousing etc. I'm still trying to find out about the shifter & mount location.
I'll call Modern Driveline tomorrow.
Thanks, Joe
Old 11-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #39
Bored&Stroked

I had my TKO reworked for a mid-shifter . . . gives one a much better shifter location. Would like to know what a mid-shifter TKX transmission would cost. Not that I'm in a hurry to buy one, but I'm pondering something different for an off-topic installation.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #40
Tinker

Quote:

It's a resto and streetrod world we live in. I just "putt" along. Guess it's weird I made this post. Just including everyone....

Last edited by Tinker; 11-29-2021 at 02:04 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote