Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #41
Pete

Default Re: valve guides in 59ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawbly View Post
Thanks Pete. That raises a question for me. If it is a little loose how do I fix that ? Can a guy knurle the guide or use shims ?
A fine knurl will work for a street engine.
Use some high temp loctite also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #42
JonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Now I know this is going to sound harsh but,...... I have '38 24 stud that I was not going to reuse ANY of the valve train, and the guides were stuck pretty good. So I used a cutting torch and cut the valve springs and stems cleanly, pulled the valves out the top and using a drift, hammered the guides out into the valley area. I was done in little over an hour.
I did this exact thing, fastest way if your not concerned about saving parts.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #43
Bored&Stroked

I recently decided to put a really fine knurl on the OD of the guides - tested it with an old one first. When they are pulled up into the block, the knurling is almost completely flattened down and the guide does get quite a bit more 'snug' in the bore. As Pete noted, this isn't the most scientific/best way to do things (especially for a competition engine where heat is more of an issue - I like his 'copper plating' method) - but seems to work fine so far.

Here is a link to a couple videos that I made:

Problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZBXFMqHs-c

Little Knurling Solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqYqBIy1BAI

Note: I also use an o-ring on the intakes and I always use the correct exhaust guides on the exhaust side. The exhaust guides should NOT have the o-ring groove cut into them. I see a lot of companies selling 16 intake guides in their sets - I won't go this route. I want as much surface area as possible on the exhaust guide ODs (like Henry did) to take heat out of the exhaust valve and transfer it to the block.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #44
outlaw

Thumbs up Re: valve guides in 59ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I recently decided to put a really fine knurl on the OD of the guides - tested it with an old one first. When they are pulled up into the block, the knurling is almost completely flattened down and the guide does get quite a bit more 'snug' in the bore. As Pete noted, this isn't the most scientific/best way to do things (especially for a competition engine where heat is more of an issue - I like his 'copper plating' method) - but seems to work fine so far.

Here is a link to a couple videos that I made:

Problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZBXFMqHs-c

Little Knurling Solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqYqBIy1BAI

Note: I also use an o-ring on the intakes and I always use the correct exhaust guides on the exhaust side. The exhaust guides should NOT have the o-ring groove cut into them. I see a lot of companies selling 16 intake guides in their sets - I won't go this route. I want as much surface area as possible on the exhaust guide ODs (like Henry did) to take heat out of the exhaust valve and transfer it to the block.
Dale, Thank you for the video clips. I havn't run into this yet, but could on one of my other blocks. This is good to know. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote