Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #21
wrndln

Default Re: One (1) Lenghty Model A Title Experience

H. L.
Maybe you stated it and I didn't see it, but what town & state did all this happen? I hope it wasn't Minnesota where I live.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
wallster

...and they all get paid by you! I never understood why 99% of government run agencies assume everyone's trying to pull "a fast one" and there's never any room for discretion from someone with common sense to simply take care of your business. Good job with the tenacity to keep after your goal.

Wally

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

In response to above reply #9, the original lady from 20 years ago had either retired or died because even though I had discouraging letters from her from 20 years ago, nobody in DMV later remembered her.

The different lady that gave me the title apologized for years of inconvenience and told me she had never seen original titles and original license plate registrations that were over 50 years old.

After reading my 4 page letter that I wrote to the District Judge referring to about 20 accompanying notarized documents, she went on line and pulled up the last title transfer number from 57 years ago ....... the original name and motor/title number on her monitor matched the name and original motor/title number on my paperwork.

With all due respect, this one DMV lady was really wonderful and compassionate. She even later called me to make sure I received the title in the mail. I'm planning on bringing her a cake or box of candy or something ...... just saying thanks is not enough.

She was an experienced agent working in DMV's "Special Permits Department", where they review out of the ordinary titles.

Just passing this DMV internal structure information on just in case other State's may have a "Special Permits Department" where they review titles for homemade trailers and/or vehicles with no VIN numbers such as vintage vehicles.

FWIW: For future difficult Model A titles, it can never hurt if one would call and continue to climb the corporate ladder to ask higher up if one's particular State DMV has a "Special" Department, Section, or person who can review more out-of-the- ordinary titles with no VIN numbers.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-04-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #24
JEC

I have a BSA Goldstar that the CHP officer wouldnt verify because I had started taking it appart to restore.
Still appart 20 years later
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #25
Synchro909

I have been puzzled by your title system since I first heard you guys had them for cars. Strange! From what I read here, maybe our politicians aren't so bad after all. We don't have titles for cars. To register a car after say, a restoration where it has been off the road for years, we get a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a licensed vehicle inspector who checks such things as brakes, lights, oil leaks etc. - just safety stuff. With that, we take it along to a registration office where the engine and chassis numbers are inspected and if they don't appear on the records as stolen, all we have to do is pay our money. By the way, registration here includes compulsory third party insurance. That is, other drivers and road users are insured but not property, That is a separate thing. Simple!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I have been puzzled by your title system since I first heard you guys had them for cars. Strange! From what I read here, maybe our politicians aren't so bad after all. We don't have titles for cars. To register a car after say, a restoration where it has been off the road for years, we get a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a licensed vehicle inspector who checks such things as brakes, lights, oil leaks etc. - just safety stuff. With that, we take it along to a registration office where the engine and chassis numbers are inspected and if they don't appear on the records as stolen, all we have to do is pay our money. By the way, registration here includes compulsory third party insurance. That is, other drivers and road users are insured but not property, That is a separate thing. Simple!
I remember discussing this with you a while back... We can definetly learn some things from your system, but unfortunately that will never happen
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #27
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I remember discussing this with you a while back... We can definetly learn some things from your system, but unfortunately that will never happen
Yup, I remember that discussion but thought I would restate it for others if they are interested. It's about here a post like this could become political so let's leave it there!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #28
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
What I find as truly amazing, it seems in some ways it was EASIER to send your kids to college than to register a lowly little Model A !!!!! The system is REALLY screwed up. Who votes to give the gov't more power over us......not me.
Hmm maybe i should go to the USA for a college.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #29
PepeLoco

H. L. Chauvin
"With all due respect, this one DMV lady was really wonderful and compassionate. She even later called me to make sure I received the title in the mail. I'm planning on bringing her a cake or box of candy or something ...... just saying thanks is not enough."

I am a government employee here at the City of Austin. We are not permitted to receive any kind of gift regardless of the situation. Especially food, lunch, or even office supplies!
However, what she really may appreciate is a letter that you write to her boss thanking her for her professional and compassionate work.
Pepe
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #30
Tim Armstrong

What is really sad is that our whole government is just like that, from the president on down.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #31
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Pepe,

A. I already checked this item with one local Official Non-Government Auto Title Company that DMV can receive a gift if given to the entire "Special Title's Section", in lieu of giving it to one individual. She explained her particular experience is ........ not to hold my breath waiting for a mailed box of chocolates to come back from DMV by return mail.

B. As far as writing a letter, I fully agree ..... both to her supervisor and also to our new Governor this fall.

C. Writing and reaching out with emails always helps. I wrote many whip-ass emails last year to get rid of our past long time warped brain Senator who voted "for" Gun Control ...... I think getting involved politically by sending emails is most important.

D. We also have many wonderful Government employees that we should try to let them know ...... and allow their superiors to know that they are greatly appreciated, and as you kindly suggested ...... with a commendation letter.

E. On the same note, with all of the title problems we often hear about with Model A titles:

1. Has anybody ever considered for our two (2) National Model A Organizations, coupled with all of our local Model A State Organizations to draft a letter to all Fifty (50) State DMV Headquarters explaining that:

a. Model A's were registered or titled over 80 years ago with motor numbers; and,

b. The sometimes stamped matching chassis number have rusted in some cases beyond recognition; and,

c. Because with dirt roads, no air filters, no oil filters, etc., motors were exchanged every 8,000 miles or so back then; hence a different motor number today; and,

d. It is highly possible that a Model A will have had at least ten (10) motor exchanges with different motor numbers by 2015 as opposed to what one experiences today where original motors can last over 300,000 miles in 2015 with added filters.

e. Last but not least, to insure that Senators and Representatives become alert on this Model A title issue, just enclose a list of National and local Model A members with this letter .......... "numbers" of citizen members of "any" organization can always elevate the political "Pucker Factor".

Most sincere thanks for your taking the time to kindly reply ...... agree ..... we all can do great things ....... "together" ...... and never give up.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-05-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote