Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
elwood

Default Temken 51524 help

Hey guys, Im working on a Temken 51524 out of a 51 3/4 ton F2.
Crazy thing, just dosent seam to be any way to set the back lash or gear pattern.
Could someone please point out what Im missing ..
Thanks ..
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
truckdog62563

Default Re: Temken 51524 help

The Timken pre-load and gear lash procedure is spelled out in the Service Manual. That's probably what you're missing. Stu
Old 05-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
elwood

Thanks for that Stu,
Dont have a service manual, guess thats what Im missing hu ...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Most of those type axles use shims to move both differential carrier and the pinion. This makes them difficult to set up without having some special tool for measuring pinion depth and such. You had to pull them apart, reshim then put them back together to effect a change. Its also a balancing act between setting backlash and getting a good wear pattern between the two gears.

This is a good article about them. Its for a non Ford application but still has value. They appear to be a lot like a Banjo set up.
http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/timken.html

It might not be a bad idea to contact Chuck at Chuck's Trucks even if your not interested in his 4.11:1 gear conversion. He knows these axles a lot better than most folks.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-14-2017 at 11:20 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
elwood

Thanks rotorwrench for the post, wile a good read, the willys post does not talk about how to move the gears.
I was brought this in a box, but I did pull the races and brgs , and there where no shims under the rear pinion brg, or either side of the carrier.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
truckdog62563

If you have access to an old Motor's Truck and Tractor Repair Manual the procedure is described there too. Stu
Old 05-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Thanks rotorwrench for the post, wile a good read, the willys post does not talk about how to move the gears.
I was brought this in a box, but I did pull the races and brgs , and there where no shims under the rear pinion brg, or either side of the carrier.
OK, straight out of the Ford manual, it's a long procedure so I will just give the adjustment methods, not the actual procedure.

A thrust washer is installed between the outer pinion bearing and the lock nut. The pinion bearings are pre-loaded by means of this lock nut. A lock washer is used to secure the bearing pre-load adjustment.

The split housing spiral bevel rear axles is equipped with a precision fit ring gear and pinion and does not require tooth contact or backlash adjustment. The pinion bearing pre-load adjustment is the only adjustment required when assembling the rear axle.

This is for the F2, the larger trucks axles are slightly different and require additional adjustments.

Last edited by JSeery; 05-14-2017 at 03:53 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
OK, straight out of the Ford manual, it's a long procedure so I will just give the adjustment methods, not the actual procedure.

A thrust washer is installed between the outer pinion bearing and the lock nut. The pinion bearings are pre-loaded by means of this lock nut. A lock washer is used to secure the bearing pre-load adjustment.

The split housing spiral bevel rear axles is equipped with a precision fit ring gear and pinion and does not require tooth contact or backlash adjustment. The pinion bearing pre-load adjustment is the only adjustment required when assembling the rear axle.

This is for the F2, the larger trucks axles are slightly different and require additional adjustments.
And f3. The f4 -6 had Timken hypoid axles if single speed.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The larger truck axles above F3 were a different part number and had other internal and external differences but they do look a lot alike. There is some info about them on the FTE forum. The 3/4 and 1 ton were the same from 48 to 52 but that changed in 53 when the A150 and B150 axles came on line.

Chuck' Trucks is the only business that consistently has parts for these and he also can help with tooling to tear things down & put back together.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
elwood

Quote:

"The split housing spiral bevel rear axles is equipped with a precision fit ring gear and pinion and does not require tooth contact or backlash adjustment. The pinion bearing pre-load adjustment is the only adjustment required when assembling the rear axle."

Thats what I was after, thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The F4s and on up have shims for the carrier bearings.

Corrected F3 to F4, 1952henry is correct (below).

Last edited by JSeery; 05-15-2017 at 08:41 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
1952henry

Quote:
The F3s and on up have shims for the carrier bearings.
The f2 (light 3/4 ton) and f3 (heavy 3/4 ton) share the same axle afaik.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
rotorwrench

They were a presicion fit when new with all OEM parts inside. When you start using parts that may vary from OEM or you have worn gear sets then this can effect backlash. Gear pattern can be affected also if the pinion bearings aren't exactly like the OEM. This is why I recommend talking to someone that rebuilds these units. I imagine Chuck had to do some compensation when using his 4.11 gear set.

Parts of these units were used for quick change rear axles back when they started to get popular for racing. This is why some of those gears fit the carrier.