Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
35 rancho

Unhappy 35 pickup back together again

Been searching forums for correct procedure to reasamble my truck. I have the cab on, put the front fenders on with runningboards. installed the radiator and grill. fitted the hood and here's the problem. nothing fit's good. My plan is to remove the fenders and just play with the cab and grill. til i get the hood perfect. then work on fenders I guess having the inter fenders installed would help? I was checking out another truck and noticed the rocker pannels on top of runningboards with a welt between? I have a gap aprox. 1/4". any tipps or suggestions would help. Thanks Dave
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Steel 35

Default Re: 35 pickup back together again

Wish I could help but I just got most of the bolts in my fenders and running boards last weekend! nothings tight and I ran out of nuts and bolts, so far Im happy just getting the bolts in......
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
JBD

i just put my 37 stake bed pickup together in the last few weeks and have everything done but the hood and grill. put the cab on first and tightened it down. from here on all bolts were just tight enough to allow a little movement. rear fenders first to the frame, in this case to the wood bed support of the stake bed. then running boards. bolted to the frame first then to rear fenders. left bolts tight but loose enough to get movement. front inter panels next to the frame with bolts fairly loose. most of this i could do myself. front fenders next and this is were you got to have movement. i needed help holding the front of the fender up. put one bolt from the fender to the running board, very loose. next was the front bolt to the inner fender panel. then starting from the first bolt to the cab moved forward. there are two fender to cab bolts and the rest are to the inner fender panel. with every thing loose i put the front fender brace. first, one of three bolts to the frame and then the support rod that comes from just behind the radiator. put the remaining two bolts in the frame, all lose, and then head light mounts. front brace lose i then put the rear fender brace. first to fender, then remove frame bolt on inter fender panel. all bolts are in but lose to line up the hood and grill when i get them done. i must say that the bolt kits from Macs for the running boards and front fenders sure made things a lot easier. Macs has a mistake in the kit, all bolts are one inch and four, two on each side, should be one and a half inches. the two front fender panel bolts got through two layers of front fram. hope this helps. i had fun doing it. again, all new bolts sure made it easier.
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 rancho View Post
Been searching forums for correct procedure to reasamble my truck. I have the cab on, put the front fenders on with runningboards. installed the radiator and grill. fitted the hood and here's the problem. nothing fit's good. My plan is to remove the fenders and just play with the cab and grill. til i get the hood perfect. then work on fenders I guess having the inter fenders installed would help? I was checking out another truck and noticed the rocker pannels on top of runningboards with a welt between? I have a gap aprox. 1/4". any tipps or suggestions would help. Thanks Dave
There is, if properly assembled, about a 1/4" gap between the cab rocker panels and the running boards, AND NO FENDER WELT SHOWING THERE. There is a flat welt between running board and frame, however. No fender welt between running boards and fenders either.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
35 rancho

Thanks for all the pointers I'll be getting the radiater and grill lined up with each other. then focus on cab and grill It never fails but I usually have to take things apart then back again 3 times or more before things fall into palce.. thanks again
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote