Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #41
old31

Default Re: Fear of Showing Numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
It will be ...when a thief can get name and address from the license plate , sometimes a pic of the property with garages or barns where the car is kept and also sometimes talk of when the owner is going on a trip .

Then when he comes back to find his model A gone, this will then be a legitimate thread.

I am webmaster for my local club, and I will not post license plate number, NOR surnames, NOR towns of members.

I know thieves can see the license number when car is out and about, but why hand it to them on a platter while they troll from their computer ?
I agree Pooch 100%.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #42
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Tales from the Internet Creep Show

A few years ago, I advertised for sale on a PA Firearms Website's board, an SKS rifle. A guy contacted me and wanted to come see the piece for tentative purchase. The few other transactions of this type both sell and buy have been in store parking lots. For some reaaon, I gave this person my HOME address.

Guy showed up and was ushered downstairs here to our rec room bar area. That counter top is a good place for laying out things such as rifles and carbines. Anyway, this guy that showed up was really off-beat. At once he starts asking too many off topic questions. He liked the house, wanted to know how many rooms, when we bought the place. what were the taxes like etc. At once, this person creeped me out. Wanted to hurry up the transaction so I showed him the SKS which he bought and paid cash. To keep it PA state legal, made out of the bill of sale and got his ID with info which was maintained. The address was just a few miles away which didn't make me all that thrilled. Didn't like this guy and he was too close for my liking in travel distance

After this character hands over the cash, his questions start again. "Do you belong to a church?" Told him "No, I'm not religious or interested in churches". Then he says . . . "You really should belong to a church!" "Everybody should belong to a church!" At that moment, I was pleased to have that nice 45-automatic in condition ONE tucked in the small of back within the belt under an open front sweater. The Model-1911 was within easy quick reach if needed.

As I politely gave this middle-aged version of Norman Bates the bum's rush up the steps and out the door . . . he says, "We really should get together for coffee sometime". Thing was, the weirdo was clutching a powerful semi-auto carbine in his hands. Was actually thinking this screwball might lift a stripper clip of ammo from a pocket, jam it down the slot and start blazing away. Was relieved when he got into his car and peaceably drove away. Did keep peaking outside the door to see if nutjob had perhaps returned,but all remained quiet.

A few days later, the phone rings and it's the SKS dude (middle age Norman Bates). The strange guy was calling to say that he fired the weapon putting a couple of hundred rounds through and it performed perfectly. Then he blurts out, "I was thinking, we really should get together for coffee and maybe hang out together."

That was it! Replied abruptly with, thanks for the offer but not interested as I don't hang out with anybody. Good luck with the gun. Then I hung up on the wacko. After dropping the phone receiver, at once went down to the bunker and from my private arms locker requisitioned one (1) Remington 870 pump riot police shotgun and one (1) M4 type AR-15 carbine. As my dearly departed, sainted mother told me, "Son, always remember, I man needs to always outgun that armed weirdo with superior firepower."

The moral of this story is something but I really haven't figured it out yet. Maybe it should be . . . Don't let strangers met on the Internet, no matter what you're trying to sell into your house or even know the address.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 01-25-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #43
Dick Steinkamp

You sold a a weapon that can kill many people quickly to a person you consider a "wacko", a "strange guy", a "Norman Bates", a "screwball", a "nut job"? How do you feel about that?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #44
pooch

Harley sellers are a cautious bunch too.

When I was considering buying a shovelhead 10 years ago, I rang up about a couple of them and both said they would meet me at a certain public place , never their house.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #45
oldwoodsman

I blocked out the numbers on the picture of a car that someone else owned that I was interested in buying. I didn't think it was right to post pics of the plate that belonged to someone else. Not only that I thought Tom W might sneak out there and buy it out from under me. Now that I own the car here is the picture. ( notice the prison made)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160825_075601.jpg (58.0 KB, 35 views)
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #46
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoodsman View Post
I blocked out the numbers on the picture of a car that someone else owned that I was interested in buying. I didn't think it was right to post pics of the plate that belonged to someone else. Not only that I thought Tom W might sneak out there and buy it out from under me. Now that I own the car here is the picture. ( notice the prison made)
I LIKE that "prison made" reminder...they should all say that. Thanks
for posting.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #47
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
You sold a a weapon that can kill many people quickly to a person you consider a "wacko", a "strange guy", a "Norman Bates", a "screwball", a "nut job"? How do you feel about that?
Per this state's law, the firearm was sold legally with bill of sale and receipt from the buyer with verified ID info. There was no indication that the guy was somebody unqualified to purchase. Being some kind of openly pronouncing religious nerd is not a disqualification. Maybe the person was just being social-able in his own odd way. Thing is, if I want a pal, then I'll buy a dog.

Aversion to his religious proselytizing and evangelical quizzing about my church attendance pushed the negative buttons. No doubt my own strong dislike for anything to do with that subject matter caused instant dislike for the guy. Was thinking that if that character were used as a standard, lots people who reside in this region are no doubt dangerous religious nut cases too. Summing it up, in general we need to be careful who are allowed into our homes. . .

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 01-26-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #48
pookie55

Tom all very interesting reads so I think I'll keep my numbers to myself
With all the information out there now from some of the great people that have spent lots of time compiling information we can just about narrow down an exact year and month
pookie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoodsman View Post
No money nor room for any more projects.
I've never seen the prison stamping on a plate before.
I like the early plates that were porcelain, and even earlier they had numbers fastened to leather.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #50
Ted Duke

It's like worrying about your SSN. Every bank, loan company, credit card company, doctor, hospital, lawyer, etc already have it and all of their employees have access. That's why it's so insane that anyone can borrow money or legally obligate YOU by using your SSN.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #51
Dino's A

I'll tell you what about all this...God help the SOB that tries to do that to me. I revere that as much as kidnapping, and you won't be alive much longer. Good luck over here. I dare you.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote