Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Gary WA

Default 31 ccpu $70,000

1931 Closed cab pick up with overdr. that's all and a midget car from the early 30's. $Sold $70000.00 Barrett Jackson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31 CCPU Barrett J.jpg (60.6 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 31 ccpu barrett.jpg (32.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: 31 ccpu $70,000

I haven't been watching B-J this year.

That is a neat looking rig I gotta admit, I like it
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
ronn

When have BJ's prices ever been "real"?

a lot of wishful thinking from those watching and sort of follows the premise of Antiques Road Show and everyone thinking their stuff is worth millions.......... comical at best.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Fordors

Looks like a realistic price to me, especially if two bidders wanted it. Personally I would never bid at an auction, especially one like B-J where the company shills are haranguing the bidders to top their previous bid. If I was there and bidding I'd tell them to get the ?&%! out of my face.
Regardless, the pickup looks like a nice restoration and is done up as a Gilmore Gasoline vehicle to compliment the Midget on the trailer. Earl Gilmore fronted the money to have the 97 cu. in. Offy developed for Midgets so given that I think a nicely restored PU, trailer and race car are probably worth every penny. Is it a car originally sponsored and campaigned by Gilmore? That would certainly add to any provenance.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
holdover

I watched most of it on the computer using their live stream feature, and no commercials. BJ sure does get high dollar for most of what they sell. I would not pay what most everything sold for and that is why I don't bid, but many people feel that there is value with their purchase, at least until they try to sell it. There is a lot of eye candy, but the prices some people pay has me shaking my head, and when you add the sellers and buyers commission, wow. As to the pickup and racer, there were two people there that really wanted them, and if they got what they wanted, good for them.

thought about this a bit more in the last Hemmings the results of some sales by other auction houses of some classic vehicles from the early 30s as well as a couple of foreign makes were sold for big money. Seems like they were in seven digits which made some of BJ cars seem low.

Last edited by holdover; 01-23-2017 at 09:16 AM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote