Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: 1 lb Antigravity

I would always rather use the hand crank or push the model A off rather than jump cable . Mine starts well with the hand crank . I often start with the hand crank at car shows to show off how easily the model A can be started with the hand crank . A woman of average strength should be able to start with the hand crank if necessary . A person first needs to fully retard the spark and lift up with the crank on the passenger side . Some seem to think that the crank lever must be turned in a circle . A well tuned model A will start by lifting up with the hand crank less than a quarter turn . Deb refuses to use the hand crank because she says it wouldn't be lady like .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #22
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
It’s okay Joe. Not even drunk, crazy people drive their Model A to Arctic Alaska. These trips only occur when people are self excluded. Solitude affects the mind!
Is that right? Let me introduce you to Model T guy Dean Yoder. He would have continued over the Bering Strait to Russia but wasn't able to secure a snowbird conversion kit. If he can drive a Model T to Alaska why can't you drive a far more modern car like a Model A?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #23
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Or you could just bring your .458 rifle along. Then you could shoot the car when it doesn't start. Now eat the sandwich and wait for the tow.

Canadians wouldn't allow you to transit to Alaska with a gun.

Didn't the 1928 KRW brochure list a "Bear Defence" tool? From memory it came in 3 sizes depending on whether bear is a Black, Grizzly or Polar.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Is that right? Let me introduce you to Model T guy Dean Yoder. He would have continued over the Bering Strait to Russia but wasn't able to secure a snowbird conversion kit. If he can drive a Model T to Alaska why can't you drive a far more modern car like a Model A?

We await your travel plans! Write when you arrive!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
I don't want to change the topic. However, I am relatively new to Model A's and have heard a small amount of STP in the transmission is a good thing.
M2M, I felt implied it might not be. I am not trying to start anything I would just a few comments as to whether STP should be used in the Transmission.

If you consider the supplier's fake "600w" oil is not thick enough then buy thicker gear oil such as ISO 680, 1000 or 1500. Don't use a grandma's home remedy such as STP; why do that when proper quality gear oil is available?

Old 04-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #26
M2M

Quote:
We await your travel plans! Write when you arrive!
You didn't answer the question; why can't someone drive a Model A to Alaska when Model T guys can do it? Model T guys drive regularly to Alaska, Dean Yoder isn't the first and last person to do it.

A Model A isn't a useless windup toy.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #27
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
I agree with Joe. The 6 volt battery says on the side "max charge rate 4 amps". It is not intended to turn over a starter motor (100+ amps).

I never hand crank start a Model A. More trouble than it is worth. If someone can push me down the road (or I park on a hill) I can have it running after rolling 10 feet.

Both the 12v and 6v Antigravity above have 120 Cranking Amps, isn't that what you look at when evaluating if it will turn over the starter?

The "max charge rate 4 amps" is telling you what battery charger to use...no?

Old 04-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #28
daveymc29

I have a device comes in a folding case with zipper, looks like a small shaving kit. It is labeled, High Powere, Model JX28, battery capacity:69800mAh, whatever that is. I got it as a gift for helping some guy get his car running. He had one and we used it to kick his car over when the battery was dead, 12V and it worked very well. the unit out of the case is about 4 X 8 X 1 1/2 inches. It has 4 usb ports and phone charging socket
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #29
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I have a device comes in a folding case with zipper, looks like a small shaving kit. It is labeled, High Powere, Model JX28, battery capacity:69800mAh, whatever that is. I got it as a gift for helping some guy get his car running. He had one and we used it to kick his car over when the battery was dead, 12V and it worked very well. the unit out of the case is about 4 X 8 X 1 1/2 inches. It has 4 usb ports and phone charging socket
Must be this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Jum.../141394798915?

A lot cheaper than the Antigravity and you can charge your laptop and phone.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
You didn't answer the question; why can't someone drive a Model A to Alaska when Model T guys can do it? Model T guys drive regularly to Alaska, Dean Yoder isn't the first and last person to do it.

A Model A isn't a useless windup toy.

Check your map. Big difference between driving to Alaska and Arctic Alaska?
Old 04-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #31
daveymc29

I'm more concerned with burning out my alternator though if left on the 6V coil circuit would overheat rapidly also. Have burned out a coil with "built in" resistor on my coupe. Bought it and told the counter person I wanted a 12V with built in resistor, one of the hot rod shop type that cost me north of 50 bucks. got home and put it on the car and took a guy for a ride. Ran like crap after three miles so we came back home, by then the coil had burst, engine died and foam from the inside of coil running down the firewall. I learned to read the box regardless of what the counter person just told me. Also I mount them with the distributor lead up if they are oil filled.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #32
Lawrie

we use one of those antigravity 12 batteries in our flathead dragster(avatar)It has an alternator to keep it charged, it has about 700cca and is the best thing,BUT do not discharge it below 10 volts as it will then be toast,I know.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #33
updraught

That bear looks quite cuddly.

Lithium batteries are very particular about charging. They burn very well.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #34
Joe K

To cap off a thread drift.

I have used both 600W and 100% STP. I see no relative difference EXCEPT the STP is better at low temperature. I can't comment on STP's relative lubricity at temperature though - although gears don't seem to show the traditional "brinnelling" failure using either.

But I don't drive the Model A for 50 years and 140K miles (2nd engine) like how my 29CC pickup came to me.

I have bought a couple of cans of STP "traditional style - NOS" from Ebay for small money to use on the next tranny. New STP includes "compounding" which some claim can attack what little bronze parts are in the transmission (reverse idler.) Old stock is not compounded. Think $8 a can plus shipping.

As I say and repeat - have used both, like both. Don't see much difference.

I do like the "smell" on opening up an original transmission with original oil though. Evokes all sorts of excitement. Maybe this is enough reason to stick with 600W?

Joe K
Old 04-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #35
Jim/GA

Quote:
Both the 12v and 6v Antigravity above have 120 Cranking Amps, isn't that what you look at when evaluating if it will turn over the starter?

The "max charge rate 4 amps" is telling you what battery charger to use...no?
Yes, I guess it would. I did not see that spec in your text and it was not in the photo of the battery. I don't actually know how many amps a Model A starter draws when cranking a hot engine with a HC head on it. I ought to go measure that some day. I'll bet it's over 120 amps.

But wow, $180? I can think of other, more fun things to spent that money on, and just push start the Model A if I had a dead battery.

I have never been out on a long drive and had a battery problem where I needed to jump start, hand crank or push start. As I said earlier, I prefer to push start.

I did have a bendix refuse to engage once on a tour. The starter motor just spun without turning the engine over. We push started it in under 10 feet of movement. So fast, so easy... Once running again, the engine vibration must have unstuck the Bendix, also, because the next time I turned it off, it started right back up with the starter like nothing had ever happened.

YMMV.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #36
GerryAllen

Thanks Joe, for the response.............
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #37
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
To cap off a thread drift.

I have used both 600W and 100% STP. I see no relative difference EXCEPT the STP is better at low temperature. I can't comment on STP's relative lubricity at temperature though - although gears don't seem to show the traditional "brinnelling" failure using either.

But I don't drive the Model A for 50 years and 140K miles (2nd engine) like how my 29CC pickup came to me.

I have bought a couple of cans of STP "traditional style - NOS" from Ebay for small money to use on the next tranny. New STP includes "compounding" which some claim can attack what little bronze parts are in the transmission (reverse idler.) Old stock is not compounded. Think $8 a can plus shipping.

As I say and repeat - have used both, like both. Don't see much difference.

I do like the "smell" on opening up an original transmission with original oil though. Evokes all sorts of excitement. Maybe this is enough reason to stick with 600W?

Joe K
Joe, is the 600W you say you use NOS 600W from the 1930s or earlier? If no, where does it come from? What's it's ISO rating? Today's Model A suppliers don't sell 600W...it's a much thinner oil, a fake in other words. You claim to have used both 600W and STP which allows you to compare both. If your source is the suppliers then sorry, you cannot make such a claim because you have not used an oil similar to real 600W.

To tell new Model A guys to add STP to their gearbox and rear end is wrong and unnecessary IMHO. STP has no business being added to a gearbox or rear end. That's not what it's made for.

So what to use? A thicker gear oil of course such as ISO 1500 which the Restoration Supply Company sells. I think Affordable Mikes also has it.

Bottom line is, need a thicker gear oil then buy a thicker gear oil.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #38
M2M

Quote:
Check your map. Big difference between driving to Alaska and Arctic Alaska?
Do you consider the photo above with Dean and his T next to a sign saying "Arctic Circle" as meeting your definition of "driving to Arctic Alaska"?

Old 04-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #39
McMimmcs

Quote:
Do you consider the photo above with Dean and his T next to a sign saying "Arctic Circle" as meeting your definition of "driving to Arctic Alaska"?
I was just following your words. A big difference in the two destinations . But it doesn’t matter as it was a fairy tale post to begin with. Last post for me.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #40
M2M

Quote:
I was just following your words. A big difference in the two destinations . But it doesn’t matter as it was a fairy tale post to begin with. Last post for me.

Well, if you keep to your word this fairy tale might just have a happy ending.