Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
P.S.

Default Brattons now carrying a new repro radiator cap for 28/29 that fits correctly.

As seen in a previous thread , the radiator cap that Vintique makes for the 28/29 Model A doesn't fit. People have been cutting them down to fit. I brought this to the attention of Brattons when the cap I bought from them didn't fit on the all original 29 Fordor I have.

Jeff thanked me for the information and said there was another supplier of 28/29 radiator caps and sent me one to try. As you can see in the photo, it fits perfectly!! I also attached a photo showing an original 29 cap (that was unfortunately drilled out for a motometer in the 1960''s), the new Brattons repro cap, and the Vintique repro cap for comparison.

The new Brattons radiator cap is almost exactly the same as the original. The only difference is the slightly rolled bottom lip on the original. However, the new Brattons cap is exactly the same otherwise and fits the same as the original. The Vintique doesn't even thread onto the neck.

Brattons part number 11660.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20150210_203226.jpg (47.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg _20150210_204912.jpg (53.1 KB, 261 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Brattons now carrying a new repro radiator cap for 28/29 that fits correctly.

I got a Quail motometer from Mac's a few years ago and it fits perfect.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Brattons now carrying a new repro radiator cap for 28/29 that fits correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I got a Quail motometer from Mac's a few years ago and it fits perfect.
As did I and it also has been very satisfactory. I was so pleased with the fit that I immediately ordered another for the pickup. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
JBill

I've got a Motometer with wreath from a well-known supplier. It fits perfectly--but doesn't tell temperature at all. I stuck the probe into boiling water and it didn't budge.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
700rpm

But it's still not right. It lacks the raised bead at the bottom that is part of the originals, and it is not nickel plated.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
P.S.

But it will keep the coolant in. The other repro available will not unless greatly modified by the purchaser.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I've got a Motometer with wreath from a well-known supplier. It fits perfectly--but doesn't tell temperature at all. I stuck the probe into boiling water and it didn't budge.
Quite possibly your thermometer is defective !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Motometers don't read the temp from the water. They should be above the water level if installed properly and your water level is correct.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote