Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #41
M2M

Default Re: 1 lb Antigravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Yes, I guess it would. I did not see that spec in your text and it was not in the photo of the battery. I don't actually know how many amps a Model A starter draws when cranking a hot engine with a HC head on it. I ought to go measure that some day. I'll bet it's over 120 amps.

But wow, $180? I can think of other, more fun things to spent that money on, and just push start the Model A if I had a dead battery.

I have never been out on a long drive and had a battery problem where I needed to jump start, hand crank or push start. As I said earlier, I prefer to push start.

I did have a bendix refuse to engage once on a tour. The starter motor just spun without turning the engine over. We push started it in under 10 feet of movement. So fast, so easy... Once running again, the engine vibration must have unstuck the Bendix, also, because the next time I turned it off, it started right back up with the starter like nothing had ever happened.

YMMV.
You're right. At over $100 these Antigravity are too expensive to carry as an emergency spare. They are normally used as motorcycle batteries and the bigger ones for race cars where weight is very important.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote