Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #61
Paul in Colorado

Default Re: The Restorer needs to fact check its articles!!!

The Restorer has a new editor. How about helping him with some GOOD articles?
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #62
Corley

I spoke with the author of the Restorer article on modern points, and got some information I thought I'd share here. First, he said that he spent several hours on the phone with the Echlin engineers, while writing this article. (Echlin makes NAPA ignition parts.) The part #s and materials for the modern points in question are as follows:

Contact material
Bronze Phosphor CS 755 Standard Basic
Tungsten CS 751 Premium
Platinum CS 755 Heavy Duty

Turns out that bronze phospher is used as the contact material on most relay applications, and is in fact a good material for this application, much cheaper than the other two metals, and therefore there is a good chance that Henry may have used it in his OEM parts. He tried to also point out other quality differences between the parts in question.

The next item in question was the mention of point float. The issue that the author was trying to get across there was simply that because the rubbing block material on the OEM parts was not as robust as todays materials and wore faster, the spring had to be lighter/weaker to control rubbing block wear. With a weaker spring comes the possibility that if it is below specs on tension, the points could float pretty easily. Also, if the moveable arm pivot point has any binding, the spring may not reliably overcome the bind and hence, point float is again possible. He did not mean to imply that oem parts, when in good condition, always caused point float, only that it is a possibility if things are not up to snuff, and modern points are more likely to not have this issue. Also, with less wear on the rubbing block, modern points may not need adjustment quite as often. This probably could have been worded better, but assumptions about peoples knowledge and ability to interpret the information may have been lacking. (Some people got it, some did not.)

The author went on to show a flaw in the modern points plate, making adjusting the gap difficult. He offered a solution for that in the form of adding the pin, which can be used as a pry point. It took him buying extra parts, and going through the process of installing the pin while taking pictures so as to make the process clear.

The author believes that the modern parts are better that the oem parts for these reasons. He does NOT believe that everyone is going to have problems if they use the OEM parts, simply that this is an option, and in his opinion a better way to go. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Certainly, it is not for everyone, and no one expects that.

It should also be noted that all articles for the Restorer are read and verified by a number of people, including the technical editor, and this article went through this editing process, and came out clean. The article was found to be factually correct in detail. The author receives no compensation for the time effort nor any expense he/she encounters in writing and submitting an article.

Based upon these findings, I believe many of the comments made in this forum's topic are unfounded, and not based upon fact. I would simply ask that people think, check, verify, and rethink before disparaging the author, the editing, and the magazine. Comments like the ones presented here can really hurt. I'd not blame this author or any others for not wanting to take the time and effort to contribute future articles, in good faith, with all the work involved, only to be bashed and maligned as was done here.

That last paragraph is just my opinion. Bash me if you like, but please also acknowledge that some of your comments may have been unfounded or wrong as well. Seriously, things at the Restorer are not as bad as some have made them to be...
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #63
40 Deluxe

Thanks for the clarification! Well done!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #64
George Miller

thanks for your opinion. We all have one
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #65
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Turns out that bronze phospher is used as the contact material on most relay applications, and is in fact a good material for this application, much cheaper than the other two metals, and therefore there is a good chance that Henry may have used it in his OEM parts. ...
I have no beef with either magazine I don't get either as distance makes it uneconomic for me to get them . However what does the above statement mean-Henry "might "have used bronze phospher -Based on what? that it was good -Based on that logic the A should have a V16 motor and hydraulic brakes because they were good as well. ????

Personally I use original points -I've played with moderns points and what I got was difficult to adjust accurately and fragile repo junk -I am currently running a NOS set and have done for the last 15,000 miles trouble free . If I break down (and it seems unlikely) I will install the spare NOS set I carry under the seat.

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #66
updraught

>>I have no beef with either magazine I don't get either as distance makes it uneconomic for me to get them .

MAFCA now has a digital version for out-of-towners.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #67
Ernie Vitucci

In my humble opinion, both magazines are quite good. We all need to remember that they are for our entertainment and to increase our knowledge. However, they are edited by humans and humans do make booboos from time to time. Even the great New York Times lays an egg every so often. Read for enjoyment and if you see a booboo, then drop a line to the editor and let her/him know. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote