Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: Gravity bends a crank?

If she's the same Molly I once knew, she personally bent many a shaft in her time.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If she's the same Molly I once knew, she personally bent many a shaft in her time.
In the scifi film Forbidden Planet several space ship engineers were commenting on a new piece of scientific equiptment and one said,
I bet every Quantum Mechanic in the force would love to get his hand on this!
Funny
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #23
glennsanders

Know that's some funny stuff that there is.
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #24
FrankWest

Still many strange and unknown things exist. Maybe there is an unknown property of the metal in the crank that could create some strange phenomena so you better store your your crank in the vertical position just to be safe. After all, science for over a hundred years could not account for the fact that bumble bees can fly because their wings are too stubby to lift their big body aerodynamically...
But with recently with ultra high speed photography they found that the bumble bee does not flap his wings up and down as previously thought but rather front to back. So aerodynamically the bumble bee should not be able to fly but accounting for fluid flow dynamics of air with front to back flapping, more lift is actually generated. Maybe some day aircfaft designers will employ this principle to generate aircraft with greater lifting capacities.

Last edited by FrankWest; 05-31-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
rheltzel

At the risk of getting serious, years ago my buddies and I bought a NOS 99A crankshaft from the Ford dealer in Pinedale, WY. It was in a wooden shipping box which obviously was intended to be shipped and stored in a horizontal position, suggesting Ford wasn't very concerned about the effect of gravity on its famously stout crankshafts.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
rowens55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
Molly Cules...she worked at the cafeteria next to the crankshaft foundry at the Rouge plant. Was said to have inspired the workers to make sure their crankshafts were always straight, even if they were laid flat.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-puke-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #27
5851a

I feel better storing a crank laying on the floor, if I store anything standing up I'll knock it over before I get around to using it.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #28
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
I feel better storing a crank laying on the floor, if I store anything standing up I'll knock it over before I get around to using it.
True, if you store it balanced on edge it may fall over and break something.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #29
40cpe

In the past a picture was posted here on the 'Barn showing a rack that would hang the crank by it's flange. Do you s'pose they will stretch?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #30
my4dv8

So it's true if you lave a crank laying on its side long enough it will eventually turn into flat steel plate as it succumbs to the evil forces of gravity. I stand mine up cos it's more convenient.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #31
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have always been amazed at discussions like this. Here's a crankshaft that can take the firing impulses running in an engine for 90-100K miles, and some prople wwill think it will bend sitting on a floor? Give me a break!
Cast iron cranks will definitely sag if stored horizontally and not supported correctly! The longer and heavier they are the more apt they are to sag. If you don't believe it you just haven't experienced it yet.
A Model A crank which is shorter, lighter and made of steel is not so apt to sag if stored horizontally.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #32
rheltzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Cast iron cranks will definitely sag if stored horizontally and not supported correctly! The longer and heavier they are the more apt they are to sag. If you don't believe it you just haven't experienced it yet.
A Model A crank which is shorter, lighter and made of steel is not so apt to sag if stored horizontally.
Bill
And you base this assertion on what empirical evidence?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #33
Bulligen

Now all us old guys have a reason for our middles being thicker, Gravity is squeezing our ends together and that is over a period of 60 years!!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #34
rheltzel

Only if your middle is made of cast iron and you spend a lot of time in the horizontal position.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
bbrocksr

Quote:
And you base this assertion on what empirical evidence?
Sixty three years actual experience building engines, from flatheads to diesel engines and aircraft engines.

How about your actual engine building experience?
Bill
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #36
rheltzel

It pales by experience. If you know for a fact, based upon 63 years of building engines, that storage of a flathead Ford V8 crank in a horizontal position results in a bent shaft, I guess that ends the debate. Still, your certainty on the point does beg the issue of how long a Ford flathead V8 crank must lay in a horizontal position before it is ruined by gravity. Are we talking months, or years?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #37
itslow

Store it in whichever position is most convenient.

They're stored on end at machine shops because they take up less floor space, not because of any distortion concerns. If any bending due to horizontal storage is a concern, then distortion due to vertical storage should be an even bigger one, as it would cause all the journals to bend.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #38
bbrocksr

Quote:
It pales by experience. If you know for a fact, based upon 63 years of building engines, that storage of a flathead Ford V8 crank in a horizontal position results in a bent shaft, I guess that ends the debate. Still, your certainty on the point does beg the issue of how long a Ford flathead V8 crank must lay in a horizontal position before it is ruined by gravity. Are we talking months, or years?

I'm not saying the crank is ruined, I'm saying it will sag if not properly supported. When it is in the engine it is supported by the main bearings. Laying horizontal on the floor or bench it is supported on a couple of counterweights
When I first became aware of the problem it was a fresh ground cast iron 6 cyl crank. I installed it in the block and when I torqued it up it locked up. When I loosened the caps it turned but not freely I removed the maincaps and checked the runout with a dial indicator, It had about.005 . My first thought was the crank grinder had some how screwed up. I left it laying the block for a few days while working on another job. When I came back and tried it again it turned freely so I torqued it up and it still turned freely. This crank had laid on a steel workbench unsupported for probably 2 months since returning from the crank grinder. When it was installed in the block and properly supported for a few days the sag disappeared.

Just to clarify, Gravity will cause a crankshaft to sag, not bend. And the problem is worse on a cast iron crank than a steel crank. Also the problem is worse on a long crank than a short crank.
A Ford V8 crank stored horizontally and "properly supported" would not have a problem, If improperly supported could have a problem.
Most crank grinders store them vertical to prevent that problem. Bill
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #39
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have machined Flathead cranks from all walks of life and found absolutely no difference related to storage conditions. Frankly, the cast iron crank might be LESS likely to "sag" than the steel crank. If gravity damages a crank in the horizontal position just imagine how badly damaged it will be when stored on end!! If you have ever straightened the crank from a wrecked engine in a crank press you will see how far it must be moved to overcome "spring-back".
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #40
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I have machined Flathead cranks from all walks of life and found absolutely no difference related to storage conditions. Frankly, the cast iron crank might be LESS likely to "sag" than the steel crank. If gravity damages a crank in the horizontal position just imagine how badly damaged it will be when stored on end!! If you have ever straightened the crank from a wrecked engine in a crank press you will see how far it must be moved to overcome "spring-back".
With all respect due you - - - - isn't this sending a mixed message ?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote