Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Opinion on T5 drivability

I’m mulling over what to do with my 36..it drives nice as a stocker but I wouldn’t want to take it any great distance.

I’ve had several early Fords and I’ll be honest, the three speed transmissions really put me off driving them.The box is in fine fettle and works as well as it ever will but it’s just so agricultural, I want better ratios and slicker shifts ideally.

I’m asking people who have fitted a T5 to their Flathead ,what is it like now?Does the trouble and expense make it a worthwhile swap and do you find that you use the car more after a he swap.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Opinion on T5 drivability

Might be a good question to post on the HAMB. Believe there are a lot of T5s being driven and there have been a lot of threads on the topic in the past. I have posted on the topic in several HAMB threads myself. Depending on the transmission/gear set you select, it is going to drive (transmission wise) similar to the vehicle it came out of. I like being able to couple a low rear axle gear ratio (I run a 4:11) with an overdrive. But that is with the close ratio T5z mustang STV gearing. If you go with the common S10 transmission gearing the low gear is so low you might want to drive it like a four speed (starting in second gear), but that is just my take on it.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-16-2019 at 10:53 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Henry Hopper

Yes...I’m looking at the Ford version with the better ratios.Ive read that the S10 gearing is not ideal.

I thought it better to post it on here as the car is stock apart from the proposed gearbox swap.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You are going to have to go to an open driveshaft or get one of the modified T5s that will mate to the enclosed banjo. If you don't want to post on the HAMB, it would still be a good idea to search the T5 info there, there is a lot of it.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
fortyfords

Pm krylon32 on the HAMB, he sells the set-up and can probably tell you all you would like to know.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

You can also convert your banjo rear rear o an open unit as the 5th gear will need at least a 3:54 , 3:78, or 4:11. As far as driveability the 5 speeds wake up the Flattie. My old 40 coupe had one and so does my avatar. The S10s have different gear ratios depending on whether it’s a world class unit (1988 or newer) or not (‘83-87).
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
Tinker

Here is a link to the Hamb, t5 thread of threads. About everything you want to know is there.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-links.169265/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rticle.171291/
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #8
Henry Hopper

Thanks Tom... I’ve got 4.11’s at present but have a set of new 3.54’s waiting to come over from America at present. Which set is preferential with a T5?

Thanks for the replies fellas.... it’s better to ask than make costly mistakes.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
TomT/Williamsburg

You have to do the math - at 75 mph I am doing 2500 rpm. The flattie needs to run between 22-2800 rpm in 5th. There are formulas on line which when you plug in your tire size, rear gear ratio, 5th gear output and speed, you come up with an rpm. In my avatar when running 85 I am doing 2800 rpm - 32” tire, 3:54 rear gear, .86 5th gear, and 75 mph gives me rear right around 2500 rpm right where the flattie likes to be. Once you have figured this all out, you will enjoy the 5speed behind your flattie all the more.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Henry Hopper

That sounds like a great combo you’ve got there Tom.75mph cruising would be ideal for my requirements... at the moment it feels like it’s heading for coronary care at 60mph.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
A bones

The great news you seek is here.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206955

All best.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
Henry Hopper

That seems like the ultimate installation where you get the best of both.Finding the parts here inEngland would be tricky I guess...no Jeep breakers that I know of... Ihave a friend who’s business is rebuilding T5’s, Ill show him the article and see if he can help.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
rotorwrench

The closed drive set up would be the way to go on a 35 or 36. To take the T5 a step further is the fabrication of a remote shift tower in a more correct location for the early Fords. Folks are already doing this stuff. The T5 has a lot more support than other transmissions for parts due to their mass popularity. A person just has to get to know the parts to use for these conversions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
You have to do the math - at 75 mph I am doing 2500 rpm. The flattie needs to run between 22-2800 rpm in 5th. There are formulas on line which when you plug in your tire size, rear gear ratio, 5th gear output and speed, you come up with an rpm. In my avatar when running 85 I am doing 2800 rpm - 32” tire, 3:54 rear gear, .86 5th gear, and 75 mph gives me rear right around 2500 rpm right where the flattie likes to be. Once you have figured this all out, you will enjoy the 5speed behind your flattie all the more.
Good write-up, two big factors are tire size and the over-drive ratio. There are several OD gears for the T5. My OD ratio is .63, so it works with a lower rear axle ratio.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #15
flatford8

Search threads by...V8COUPEMAN....and he has a link to a conversion...https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+TUBE.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #16
drolston

There is more than one way to skin the "driveability" cat.

The close ratio five speed will help a puny engine with low torque keep up. Or you can go for more torque and spend that cash to bore and stroke that flathead out to at least 276 cubes. I took the flathead in my heavier '41 to 284 cubic inches with a very mild cam, and put in 3.25 rear end gears. Cruises easy at 70; about 2700 rpm. I thought I might need to drop in a 29 tooth cluster to get low gear low enough, but no. I get going on a steep hill without having to slip the clutch very much. The car will pull away smoothly in high gear from 15 mph.

Just a thought! Cost probably about the same, and you do not have to butcher the frame and rear suspension.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
Bored&Stroked

If you go with a T5, then look up the Ford Z-Spec version (still available brand new for about $2000 - checkout the following link below). But, you will have a very big RPM drop between the 1/1 4th and the .63/1 overdrive (which I do NOT like). What can be done to make the OD a lot better is switch out the OD gears to what was once known as the S80 gear set (was used in road racing). You can now buy the .80 overdrive gear sets for about $250. I just rebuilt one of these transmissions last Saturday and installed the .80 overdrive 5th gear - is for a road-racing Mustang that we have fun with.

Link to the Sebring Gears and Mods:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn.../80gearset.htm

Also, note that there is quite a bit of work to get this whole transmission to fit in your frame (modifications required), make the necessary modifications for the new shifter location (floor pan), make extensive mods to support a torque-tube setup (special transmission case and machine work) or switch to an open drive. What I will say is that you'll surely love it once you have it!

One last thing to mention is what brakes do you have on the car? If you want to go 70 mph with mechanical brakes and actually stop the car in a reasonable manner, then you are in for some trouble. I find that properly setup mechanical brakes do pretty well up to about 55 or so mph.

The faster you push these cars with mechanical brakes, the more dangerous they become. This is why I'm switching over my 32 Cabriolet to Lincoln style hydraulic brakes - when I put the Columbia in it . . . I need to be able to stop the darn thing!

New T5:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...03-z/overview/
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
38bill

Been running 15 years with my T5/59AB flathead and I love it. Wasn't a simple swap but it wasn't rocket science either. (Full disclosure: My ride is a pickup and its much easier to work on than a car). I used the S10 T5, open driveshaft conversion and a 3:54 rear gear. Yes the S10 1st gear is a little low but with my taller tires and the 3:54 its very drivable and overdrive is a joy. PS: I already had juice brakes.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #19
Henry Hopper

Agree about the brakes, I’ve got a brand new set of Lincoln’s under the bed and 40 Fords for the rear all rebuilt.

Just making a list of parts required for the whole transmission and brake swap.It will all have to be done with the body on the chassis so I’ve got my work cut out.

I’ll try and post up any progress, thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
It will all have to be done with the body on the chassis so I’ve got my work cut out.
I've done these types of jobs with the body on the frame . . . what a complete PITA. To be honest, in every case I would have saved time, money and a ton of aggravation if I'd pulled the body. Also, the results would almost always be better.

First of all, any fabrication/welding you have to do is really difficult when you can only access things and weld from below. There will be quite a bit of work in the frame center area - no way around it. Then think about the master cylinder setup, brake lines, wiring, etc . . . the list goes on and on.

So - seriously think about pulling the body and making your life easier and the work a lot better.

My 3 cents! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote