Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #41
whizzernick

Default Re: V-8 is supposed to leak ?

I guess I did not address my question in approiate way so as I could get answeres.
Here is my question: I have been told that 1928 (model A ) to 1948 fords drain a table spoon or is it tea spoon of oil when you turn off engine off. I am now selling a solution to this oil drip. I call it a diaper. Black closed car top material is sewn to form pockets
that hold very strong magnets. The Diaper is about 6 " wide and is long enough to extend to beyond transmission. The diaper does cover the oil drain plug. To use it you place under oil pan and transmission. When in proper place you release one site
and fold up an old polishing cloth ( most people throw these away when dirty) place in the middle and reattach. Now you will not drip oil and make a mess on your floor.
The bonus is you carry the solution with you.
I was at a V-8 club swap meet Saturday and was talking with a possible new customer.
He has a model T and also a MGA . He said that the old cars at disneyland have a similar product which is changed daily . Held on with tie wires . He is interested in Diaper for model T and MGA. I hope this explains my question ....
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #42
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
I guess I did not address my question in approiate way so as I could get answeres.
Here is my question: I have been told that 1928 (model A ) to 1948 fords drain a table spoon or is it tea spoon of oil when you turn off engine off. I am now selling a solution to this oil drip. I call it a diaper. Black closed car top material is sewn to form pockets
that hold very strong magnets. The Diaper is about 6 " wide and is long enough to extend to beyond transmission. The diaper does cover the oil drain plug. To use it you place under oil pan and transmission. When in proper place you release one site
and fold up an old polishing cloth ( most people throw these away when dirty) place in the middle and reattach. Now you will not drip oil and make a mess on your floor.
The bonus is you carry the solution with you.
I was at a V-8 club swap meet Saturday and was talking with a possible new customer.
He has a model T and also a MGA . He said that the old cars at disneyland have a similar product which is changed daily . Held on with tie wires . He is interested in Diaper for model T and MGA. I hope this explains my question ....
I have been into flatheads since I was 15 years old which is more than
70 years and never heard or saw any lose of oil AFTER shut down. The
drip out of the cotter pin hole was there before shutdown. G.M.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #43
whizzernick

MY ANSWER TO MY QUESTION I think that Ford used a oil slinger system that would leak a small amount of oil that was left at the top of crankshaft when engine was shut off. part of the oil went forward threw rear main cap tube into the oil pan. and some (the original question) went to the rear of oil pan to eventually (leak) or drip out the hole that has the cotter key.
yea or nay to my answer???
As some one suggested: I do have a solution to this problem. I know that a lot of Ford people seem to be ok with the mess that thier Fords make.
Fine with me.

DIAPER FOR OLD FORDS
I started thinking about the mess my 33 roadster made on the floor when I returned from a ride. After many years ( I bought my 33 in 1959 ) lots of rides and lots of gas a mop and work. I decided to try and find a solution. I came up with ( how about a diaper ) I had some left over closed car top material and some very strong magnets . I made up a pattern that would cover the oil pan from in front of the drain plug to the rear near the transmission. I sewed pockets to hold the magnets. The idea was to place an old polishing towel between the diaper and the oil pan . The old polishing cloth would soak up the oil and would be replaced at oil change time. It worked well. After making and selling several and with the suggestion from a ford barn customer I now make the diaper longer to cover the full length of transmission as they sometimes leak. My price is $50 that includes shipping.
I was hoping that the Ford barn would be a good place to start. So far
not very good. I will have a introduction of my diaper to the Early Ford V-8 Club ( the V-8 times ) in the next issue or the one after that.
Any suggestions you have would be considered. Thanks to all that have put their 2 cents in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171024_110943_resized.jpg (67.8 KB, 40 views)
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #44
Chisel

I asked my old Ford if it wanted to wear a diaper, it answered back hell no I started out running through horse shit so a little oil drip shouldn't bother anyone.

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #45
Clem Clement

We have found that if I'm asked to have a diaper, I use a spread out black plastic trash bag. The oil curled the plastic up and keeps the oil from running off. We do a party at a fancy mention and we must keep the front entrance spotless.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote