Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
36coupe

Default Buying from the US and shipping to Canada

I need a set of 39 brake lining and trying to find the supplier that is most user friendly with shipping costs.
I like using C&G but the last $150 order cost me $50 in shipping and then the UPS courier hit me with another 50 when he dropped it off for one small box.

I buy from rock auto and have ordered for old fords clutches and tie rod ends at reasonable prices and and cheap shipping. 20$ for the clutch and no hidden fees.

Anyways I’m looking for brake linings and someone that will throw them in the mail.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
rick r

Default Re: Buying from the US and shipping to Canada

Try George Moir in Alberta. Check out his web sight. Just google George Moir. Also, check with your local automotive machine shop, they might have a source to have your shoes re-conditioned and re-lined.
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
I need a set of 39 brake lining and trying to find the supplier that is most user friendly with shipping costs.
I like using C&G but the last $150 order cost me $50 in shipping and then the UPS courier hit me with another 50 when he dropped it off for one small box.

I buy from rock auto and have ordered for old fords clutches and tie rod ends at reasonable prices and and cheap shipping. 20$ for the clutch and no hidden fees.

Anyways I’m looking for brake linings and someone that will throw them in the mail.
Hi Lindsay, I'd recommend checking with the USPS first, if your components are able to be shipped in one of their "Flat-Rate" boxes it may prove be the most cost-effective method.

Just a couple weeks ago we sent a BBC oil pump spring to Germany, gave the customer the spring "no-charge", still cost $20.00 to get it over there in an envelope!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We constantly ship fairly large quantities of Flathead parts overseas and find the Post Office the best method. I sort of feel bad for many of the overseas customers, not only must they deal with the freight costs but with the "customs" declarations as well. We find many small parts we sell over there to cost less than the frgt to get it there, like the spring mentioned above here!

Last edited by GOSFAST; 07-31-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Ron Pilger

With the exception of select engine and tranny parts my go-to source, for the past forty years, is George Moir Antique Auto Parts in Stony Plain, Alberta. Same day shipping most always. Excellent inventory and very knowledgeable staff. When I am forced to buy from a U.S source I go to great lengths to avoid UPS International. Fees can vary widely depending on the agent and if it's full moon or not. U.S. postal service is always the least expensive.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

You can't go wrong with George Moir. Talk to Dwayne or Terry. These guys know their stuff!!! They charge exactly what it costs them to ship- very reasonable.
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
51504bat

Call Joe's Antique Auto in Massachusetts. He will probably answer the phone but the women who also answer the phone are knowledgeable as well. His shipping is always reasonable in the states and I'm guessing he'll ship to Canada as cheaply as possible but I'm not 100% positive on that. Regardless,I'd give him a call.Can't hurt to ask. IMO
(508) 278-3980
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
bill3337

I'm out in Victoria, so across the country from you, but I find many suppliers in the US will ship free within the continental USA, so I have them ship to a freight company just on the other side of the border. That company has a Victoria office at our airport, so they bring it across for a small fee, then I go to the airport and clear customs myself. An average small shipment will only cost me about $25.00 that way.
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
paul2748

I think Flat Rate USPS boxes are for US delivery only.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
koates

USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL is the method I always try to have sellers in the USA send items to me in Australia. However some will only use UPS or the GLOBAL shipping favoured by ebay which is more expensive. I often ask sellers to change their shipping method and most will comply. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #10
allout

If there is no system like bill3337 stated near you then USPS is your best bet.
allout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I think Flat Rate USPS boxes are for US delivery only.
Nope, but it costs more to ship overseas. Just shipped a flat rate box to New Zealand.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Viv W

Do you know you can import parts into Canada for cars over 25 years old duty free.Some information about duty and brokerage fees into Canada
Regards
Viv.

Auto parts for vehicles >25 years old are duty free into Canada no matter the country of origin. Ask the shipper to indicate HS code 9966.00.00 on the customs declaration. This Tariff Item of the Customs Tariff gives duty free status to "articles for use solely or principally with those vehicles manufactured more than 25 years prior to the date of importation". Information about the interpretation of this tariff item can be found at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...15-20-eng.html

As stated in this memo, eligible articles are limited to those solely or principally for qualifying vehicles and would have to be in keeping with the original appearance and configuration of the vehicle. These may be either original articles or reproductions.

Articles that incorporate modern safety features or other technological developments can be considered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00, provided that they are solely or principally for use with qualifying vehicles and do not compromise the original configuration of the vehicle. An example would be disc brakes designed specifically for a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe.

General purpose articles that can be used in vehicles covered and not covered under tariff item No. 9966.00.00 are not eligible for consideration.

So reproduction door panels would be eligible as they are specific to a vehicle over 25 years old, but tires that fit both a TR6 and a 2011 Ford would not.

On the brokerage/handling fee issue, Canada Post will collect a fee of $9.95 as a handling fee, if duties and/or taxes were collected on the shipment.

On shipments with a value of <$2500, there are ways to avoid the brokerage fees charged by UPS, Fedex etc, by clearing the shipment yourself. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Prior to receiving your shipment, you can contact the courier company and inform them of your wish to self-clear any shipments that are addressed to you and on which brokerage fees are applicable. The company will explain their procedures to you.

2. As an alternative, when a casual shipment is delivered to you, you can refuse delivery and advise the courier company of your intention to self-clear directly with the CBSA. In this case, please ensure that you take note of the unique shipment identifier number on the package, as the shipment will be returned to the courier’s warehouse.

With both options, you will need to visit your local CBSA office to complete a B15 (Casual Goods Accounting Document) and provide them with specific details, including the courier’s name, the unique shipment identifier number, a description of the goods and their value so that the CBSA can correctly assess the goods. This information is usually indicated on the shipment’s invoice, which will be provided to you by the courier company. When you have paid the applicable duties and/or taxes to the CBSA, you will be given an official receipt indicating that the goods have been accounted for. You will need to present this receipt to the courier’s warehouse where your shipment is stored, in order for the courier to release your shipment to you.

Despite what you may be told by the courier, you have the right to do this and clear the goods yourself. See http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...17-4-0-eng.pdf and in particular paragraph 56.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And buying parts from China direct is easy as falling off a log in the U.S.! And free shipping to boot, go figure.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

I had Rock Auto send me 4 6v flasher units for my car cost me $6.00 US, that is real cheap to NZ and quite frankly I don't know how they could do it. Someone on Epay to send me just one quoted me $30 shipping which i passed on. Pays to "hunt around".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
I had Rock Auto send me 4 6v flasher units for my car cost me $6.00 US, that is real cheap to NZ and quite frankly I don't know how they could do it. Someone on Epay to send me just one quoted me $30 shipping which i passed on. Pays to "hunt around".

GB
A lot of Canadians are using rock auto. I ordered an alternator and they sent the wrong one. They paid the return shipping and sent another. Not much for old cars but I ordered a clutch, ball joints and king pins for old fords.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
A lot of Canadians are using rock auto. I ordered an alternator and they sent the wrong one. They paid the return shipping and sent another. Not much for old cars but I ordered a clutch, ball joints and king pins for old fords.
They are good people to deal with. 6v positive ground flasher units are just not available in NZ - thats why I got 4.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have really had good luck with Rock Auto. An example was brake parts, new older stock US made parts for very good prices.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote