Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Dying art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Predictions are notoriously unreliable. At the turn of the 19th to 20th century, a journalist asked the head of the US Patents Office what wondrous things might be invented during the coming century. His reply was that he thought everything that could be invented has been and he expected the office would be a quiet place in the future.
Today is a good example of predictions that don't always happen.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Today is a good example of predictions that don't always happen.
I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me the American people have taken a huge leap of faith into the unknown but their choice was a difficult one. We're all hoping!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
ian Simpson

As for the youngsters not being interested in old cars - My three grandsons aged 6, 9, and 11 are already arguing who will get which car when grandma and me are gone.

I am betting that the granddaughters will win as women are so much smarter.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
My 10 year old son is very interested in black smithing. He asked to go to a school or camp to learn it.

I'm on the hunt for a good anvil so he can pound some metal. We made a hatchet already. That was a fun project. "Reality" shows like Forged in Fire are helping to rekindle interest in this art.
I've seen people get started with a piece of railroad track.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I've seen people get started with a piece of railroad track.
I've seen people use an existing railroad track as an anvil! This was at a ranch that bordered the Burlington Northern in a location I won't name. The fellow working the metal told me it was not a problem because the section was straight. I doubt the BN would agree.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #26
Alaska Mike

Default Just Later

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I serve on the advisory board for a Building Trades Program at the local junior college. The program has students spend time in the classroom 2 hours per day and 6 hours on the jobsite. In one year they build a complete house from footings to frame up to roof to all the interior finish. It is a complete 3 bedroom home when they are done.

We offer a 1 year certificate or a 2 year construction management AAS degree. (a real 2 year college degree, transferrable to any college in the nation).

Our recruitment efforts used to be aimed at high school graduates. Now our recruitment efforts are those 22 to 30 years old. Why you might ask? We found that most of our students had to go out and either try college or try work, and they found that neither worked for them, or they found that the jobs they were able to get had no career, and they were destined for endless low pay, no insurance, and surprisingly no satisfaction.

They also had gotten married, had a few kids, and realized that they wanted more out of life for themselves and their new family.

Our program offered a sense of satisfaction, a piece of paper that said they could do something, and the start of a real career with many opportunities.

I guess what you didn't learn in high school, the school of hard knocks quickly filled in. Our students are dedicated, eager to learn, and come with some skills already. But most importantly, they know the value of an education, and all leave our program to be very successful.

It is not society, not the school system, not the generation you were a part of, but the individual. Some learn this lesson in 4 years of high school, and some take a little longer.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

It seems to me, that when a SUBJECT or PREDICTION comes up for discussion, about 2/3 of the folks in the world, choose a NEGATIVE viewpoint.
Bill W.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #28
Maclab58

I'm 58 and have 4 A's. I take every opportunity to talk to people about them and take them for rides. I go to our local cruise nite which is hot rod oriented to show people that there is an option! We're not dead yet , we just need to work with o get younger people interested!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
ken will

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
It seems to me, that when a SUBJECT or PREDICTION comes up for discussion, about 2/3 of the folks in the world, choose a NEGATIVE viewpoint.
Bill W.
Actually IMHO when someone hears a SUBJECT or PREDICTION that they agree with they don't reply because their viewpoint is already there.

But, if they disagree with that viewpoint they are twice as likely to reply a counterpoint.

So, it is not 2/3 of all people but rather 2/3 of those that reply that disagree.
ken will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:38 PM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Just Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
I serve on the advisory board for a Building Trades Program at the local junior college. The program has students spend time in the classroom 2 hours per day and 6 hours on the jobsite. In one year they build a complete house from footings to frame up to roof to all the interior finish. It is a complete 3 bedroom home when they are done.

We offer a 1 year certificate or a 2 year construction management AAS degree. (a real 2 year college degree, transferrable to any college in the nation).

Our recruitment efforts used to be aimed at high school graduates. Now our recruitment efforts are those 22 to 30 years old. Why you might ask? We found that most of our students had to go out and either try college or try work, and they found that neither worked for them, or they found that the jobs they were able to get had no career, and they were destined for endless low pay, no insurance, and surprisingly no satisfaction.

They also had gotten married, had a few kids, and realized that they wanted more out of life for themselves and their new family.

Our program offered a sense of satisfaction, a piece of paper that said they could do something, and the start of a real career with many opportunities.

I guess what you didn't learn in high school, the school of hard knocks quickly filled in. Our students are dedicated, eager to learn, and come with some skills already. But most importantly, they know the value of an education, and all leave our program to be very successful.

It is not society, not the school system, not the generation you were a part of, but the individual. Some learn this lesson in 4 years of high school, and some take a little longer.
I am glad to hear of such classes. If they asked to raise my taxes to support programs such as you have described, I would vote yes! It's a "give them fish or teach them to fish" kind of thing in my opinion. Here in Florida (at least south Florida) construction continues at a pace almost equal to that of before the crash of '08. Maybe a little far for your graduates in Iowa, but I'm sure there are these kinds of jobs between you and I.