Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
drolston

Default Going to paint the coupe.

Time to redo the twenty foot paint job on my coupe. Plan to tape the grill, tail lights and trunk handle; pull the rest of the trim before going to body shop. The trim is all in perfect condition and I do not want to take a chance on bending anything. So, any information or tips on how to safely remove chrome strips from the body and hood would be appreciated.

It is an early model year '41 (not having the mid-fender and mustache chrome).
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Going to paint the coupe.

If you can get access to "behind the trim clips" you will be able to see what is holding the trim in place and how to remove without damaging. DO NOT use a screw driver to pry anything. You can squeeze the trim clips from behind and gently push each outward a little at a time. Release the trim clips that are bolted in place first.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:30 PM   #3
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
If you can get access to "behind the trim clips" you will be able to see what is holding the trim in place and how to remove without damaging. DO NOT use a screw driver to pry anything. You can squeeze the trim clips from behind and gently push each outward a little at a time. Release the trim clips that are bolted in place first.
Good advice, but it may take someone more flexible than me to get to the backside of those trim clips on the hood.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

A real body shop knows how to remove trim without damaging anything. You will get a much better job by taking it all off. Think about dirt blowing out from under it into your wet new paint. Was one of the first thing I learned after my 1st paint job back in the 1970s. HF sells plastic prying tools which can help you.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Willit Stop

A couple of tips.....Use good quality masking tape.The cheap stuff will weld itself to the chrome if left on too long. Unless it's obvious,mark the chrome strips so you'll know where they belong when you reassemble.
Have fun.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
A real body shop knows how to remove trim without damaging anything. You will get a much better job by taking it all off. Think about dirt blowing out from under it into your wet new paint. Was one of the first thing I learned after my 1st paint job back in the 1970s. HF sells plastic prying tools which can help you.
I will try to find an old school body shop. Most of the "parts replacers" at todays "Collision Centers" have never seen a clip-on chrome strip. But they do a great job of surface prep and laying on the coating.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
19Fordy

If you are a member of a local AACA or other car club, some folks who are more flexible may be able to help. When you take it to a body shop, their time is your money. They want it "in and out' the door. They will not replace a chrome strip if they damage it.
Plus, you will have to pay for the reinstall of the trim.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote