Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
russcc

Default Early V8 Fasteners

There are fastener sources for restoring Early V8 cars, but if your car is a driver, and you are fussy about the appearance of the fasteners, there other options. Most fastener suppliers bolts & nuts have modern coatings on them that look out of place on early Fords. Fastenal has grade 5 hex head bolts & nuts that you can order on line with what they call a “Plain” finish, which is black oxide. They have them in all the SAE sizes & lengths, and you can buy as many or a little as you want. The three strikes for G5 are not that proud of the head so they are hardly noticeable. Most of them are made in china, but in some cases there is an option to select USA. In my opinion, ( I was in the fastener business years ago), the USA bolts are better quality, you can see it in the threads and thread leads for example. Shipping is about $10.00 UPS ground, and arrives in a couple days from the Midwest.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Early V8 Fasteners

Any time I want a blackened bolt, I just get plated hardware store bolts and blacken them with this. (and yes right over the plating)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
DavidG

Looks like zinc plating; very few hardware stores sell cadmium-plated hardware these days given the rapidly shrinking number of platers still doing cadmium and its ever-increasing cost.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
1stford

When I rebuilt my truck I bought most all of my fasteners from Roy Nacewitz. I spent more then I would have at a hardware store but was really happy with the fasteners and the resource Roy was through my project.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Looks like zinc plating; very few hardware stores sell cadmium-plated hardware these days given the rapidly shrinking number of platers still doing cadmium and its ever-increasing cost.
AND as we are told the "high" degree of carcinogenic properties of cadmium.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
Frank Miller

For what it is worth here are the advantages of original type bolts. If you have something apart spending a few extra dollars with a vendor will make for a nicer job. You are also supporting the vendor who supplies other much needed parts for your cars. I understand having something apart and needing to put it back together right away so you hit the hardware store but if you have to place an order support the people who support the hobby.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Pete/Ct.

I only use Third Gen fasteners. Mike bought Roy Nacewicz"s business and all products are superior. Don't waste your time or money anywhere else. Pete/Ct.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
There are fastener sources for restoring Early V8 cars, but if your car is a driver, and you are fussy about the appearance of the fasteners, there other options. Most fastener suppliers bolts & nuts have modern coatings on them that look out of place on early Fords. Fastenal has grade 5 hex head bolts & nuts that you can order on line with what they call a “Plain” finish, which is black oxide. They have them in all the SAE sizes & lengths, and you can buy as many or a little as you want. The three strikes for G5 are not that proud of the head so they are hardly noticeable. Most of them are made in china, but in some cases there is an option to select USA. In my opinion, ( I was in the fastener business years ago), the USA bolts are better quality, you can see it in the threads and thread leads for example. Shipping is about $10.00 UPS ground, and arrives in a couple days from the Midwest.
Just to set the record straight.....I've only been in the "Industrial Fastener" industry a short 22 years (and counting) but there is a couple of misleading comments here:

1) "Plain" finished bolts are just that - NOT Black Oxide coated....IF you want a "black oxide" finish, I Have to specifically order them that way!!! "Maybe" Fastenal does it that way BUT industry wide....Plain finish is just that "Plain ole bare steel" finish!!!

2) besides the manufacturing location....there is NO difference in a Grd 5 hex head cap screw from "China" and one from good Ole USA. Every supplier who imports Graded fastener's into the United States "HAS" to run a lot test on "EVERY" lot they import and maintain the mill test reports and certifications to the spec for "EVERY' lot they import SO....the have to meet the ASTM and SAE spec's as set forth by the industry!!!! OTHERWISE the courts would be "flooded" with legal battles from fastener failures!!!! (Also includes Grd 8, L9, B7, B16, A325, A449, 2H, DH Grd C etc etc)

3) Sometimes....made in USA means "Just" that.....the steel used is of foreign supply!!!!

SO the best source IF you are concerned about "finish" and "correctness" both in head thickness, and form is to order your fasteners from Mike Driskell at Third Gen Automotive. Otherwise you have to sometimes alter the current available fasteners (AKA 51-Merc-CT'ss post above) you get at the local ACE, Home Depot and God forbid Fastenal!!!!

I use a air sander to sand the "Grade" & "Mill" marks off the head then prime and paint them with a semi flat black IF I am in a hurry!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 12-08-2020 at 09:44 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete/Ct. View Post
I only use Third Gen fasteners. Mike bought Roy Nacewicz"s business and all products are superior. Don't waste your time or money anywhere else. Pete/Ct.
This.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Just to set the record straight.....I've only been in the "Industrial Fastener" industry a short 22 years (and counting) but there is a couple of misleading comments here:

1) "Plain" finished bolts are just that - NOT Black Oxide coated....IF you want a "black oxide" finish, I Have to specifically order them that way!!! "Maybe" Fastenal does it that way BUT industry wide....Plain finish is just that "Plain ole bare steel" finish!!!

2) besides the manufacturing location....there is NO difference in a Grd 5 hex head cap screw from "China" and one from good Ole USA. Every supplier who imports Graded fastener's into the United States "HAS" to run a lot test on "EVERY" lot they import and maintain the mill test reports and certifications to the spec for "EVERY' lot they import SO....the have to meet the ASTM and SAE spec's as set forth by the industry!!!! OTHERWISE the courts would be "flooded" with legal battles from fastener failures!!!! (Also includes Grd 8, L9, B7, B16, A325, A449, 2H, DH Grd C etc etc)

3) Sometimes....made in USA means "Just" that.....the steel used is of foreign supply!!!!

SO the best source IF you are concerned about "finish" and "correctness" both in head thickness, and form is to order your fasteners from Mike Driskell at Third Gen Automotive. Otherwise you have to sometimes alter the current available fasteners (AKA 51-Merc-CT'ss post above) you get at the local ACE, Home Depot and God forbid Fastenal!!!!

I use a air sander to sand the "Grade" & "Mill" marks off the head then prime and paint them with a semi flat black IF I am in a hurry!!!

Thank you. Very informative
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote