Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
denniskliesen

Default Model B carb on a Model A

I can make it fit. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to a Model B carburetor. Anybody done it here?
Thanks for anybody's advice.
Dennis
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Model B carb on a Model A

One of the tricks to make it fit, which you may have already discovered, is the bolts that the vendors sell that are cut to allow the carburetor to be rotated sightly to make it line up. It is a larger diameter and should give a couple of extra horsepower but you need to hog out the Model A intake manifold of run a Model B manifold to get the benefit.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
TinCup

With the float bowl mounted sideways it is not a susceptible to stalling at sudden stops. Yes with a bored intake it can give you 10% boost in HP.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I have been running a B Carburetor with a B intake for about 12 years on an early 1931 Tudor. I love it and it does give a bit more power. If you can get one, run it. You can drill out the A intake if you have to or easier yet, take the A intake to a machine shop and let them drill it out for you. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
With the float bowl mounted sideways it is not a susceptible to stalling at sudden stops. Yes with a bored intake it can give you 10% boost in HP.
10% ?!?! That's quite a bit for just a carb and manifold bore.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

I have run an B Carb on an A manifold with no modification to the Carb or bolts. I think that you need to do the Mods if you're going to use an B manifold. I would use an A manifold , but port and polish it first. That means getting some long grind stones with an arbor to put in your 1/4 (?) drill. I would first drill the carb runner out to between 1 1/4 (1.250) and 1.300and polish it. Next I grind the mouth of the other two runners to match the gasket (Size and location) and then clean up the runners as best I can. This will give you about 3-4 HP 10% 0f 40 HP=4 HP . Check Pirianos site on Mod A HP. If you leave the A manifold the stock, unpolished 1 ". you will get very little increase. And if you port and polish the A manifold and use the A carb you will notice a slight improvement. Be careful with a B carb as the mounting ear on the rear break easily. A parts don't fit a B carb but B parts are available from the vendors. As has been said, The B float is mounted crosswise and the B carb is not so prone to stalls with sudden stops. Good Luck!
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 07-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
denniskliesen

Is a B carburetor balanced so you can use a air filter on it? Or does that need to be modified.

Terry, so you open the carb itself up above the throttle plate? Doesn't sound too hard to open the intake and carb. I have a boring tool I can chuck up on my lathe to open the manifold. dingle berry hones etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Dave in MN

"Terry, so you open the carb itself up above the throttle plate? Doesn't sound too hard to open the intake and carb. I have a boring tool I can chuck up on my lathe to open the manifold. dingle berry hones etc."

No Dennis, I think Terry means to open up the primary carb runner of the intake manifold...not the carb.

I have a visual explanation of the process on my website.

On my website, go to the DIY Help page and open up the Intake Manifold Enlargement article.

my website: www.durableperformance.net

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 07-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

No, no! No modification to the carb itself, only the manifold. Do you have a Bridgeport? If so, bore the primary runner out to 1.250-60 +, then polish to 1.280 +. Just keep it under 1.300, the walls are getting thin! Then align the ports with the gasket (1 piece) and clean them up. These manifolds are still rough castings inside, lots of obstructions to good flow.
If you can keep the engine clean (But only if, don't try it if the grit is going to get in the engine ) Round out the ports in the block and match the gasket. Again, Don't try it if you can't be sure of keeping all the grit out of the engine.
I'm afraid there isn't much work for a lathe, only a Bridgeport!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Is a B carburetor balanced so you can use a air filter on it? Or does that need to be modified.

Terry, so you open the carb itself up above the throttle plate? Doesn't sound too hard to open the intake and carb. I have a boring tool I can chuck up on my lathe to open the manifold. dingle berry hones etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Dennis, I ignored the first part about the air filter. So to correct that I'm going to say I have not seen any air mazes that are for a B carb, only A bores. Chances are that they make them, it's just that none have come my way yet. If your lathe has enough swing, you could make a fixture out of a faceplate and an angle plate to hold them and bore them deep enough to get them on your B carb. Set up would take some time but once that was done the actual cutting would go quickly. Also, you may find a B carb with a broken ear and be able to save it by making a base plate from steel and brazing it on to the base.
Terry

Quote:

Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
denniskliesen

Terry, and everybody else, thanks for all the information. I noticed on Vince's site there a couple (?) air filter/sound reducers. One of his samples had a screen in the bottom.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
denniskliesen

Just thought of something. Model B had a fuel pump, I have an electric pump with a filter ahead of it but not sure of the relief pressure and would have to get a regulator I'm sure. What should the running pressure be set at?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
d.

I've got a B carb bolted to my 1929 A intake...no boring out anything, just bolted on...works great, no problemas. I'm not looking for hp gain, it's just the way it came to me.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Terry, NJ

D. Get the A manifold bored out to B specs and it will run even better. You're processing more air through that larger throat and then choking it down.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
I've got a B carb bolted to my 1929 A intake...no boring out anything, just bolted on...works great, no problemas. I'm not looking for hp gain, it's just the way it came to me.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

No it works fine on a gravity feed. But I almost forgot, You'll need different plumbing on the fuel lines. Either a couple brass fittings or a custom line, made and sold by B&B a parts, here in Pa. I think he gets maybe $15 for one. I grabbed one from him, it has all the right bends for a B carb. Check the vendors, Like Brattons. I don't think B&B is too well known outside the state.

Quote:
Just thought of something. Model B had a fuel pump, I have an electric pump with a filter ahead of it but not sure of the relief pressure and would have to get a regulator I'm sure. What should the running pressure be set at?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
No it works fine on a gravity feed. But I almost forgot, You'll need different plumbing on the fuel lines. Either a couple brass fittings or a custom line, made and sold by B&B a parts, here in Pa. I think he gets maybe $15 for one. I grabbed one from him, it has all the right bends for a B carb. Check the vendors, Like Brattons. I don't think B&B is too well known outside the state.
Are they tapered pipe thread? I have a local hardware store that has a good selection.I'll have to check out B&B. Got a link?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Jay C Bolton

Fords came with air cleaners starting in 32,including the B. And no, it was not air balanced
Jay C Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
Terry, NJ

No they're a straight machine thread, !/2 X 20 or 7/16 X 20 (Can't recall) The one Bill Savitz Makes and sells is perfect, Mine still has the tag on it $9.75! The name is B&B Mod A Ford Parts, 8752 Breinig run circle, Breinigsville, Pa.
Bill used to run B&B from Phillipsburg Nj, but he's getting old and gave up a lot of it. He still sells Carbs and distributors and small stuff and these fuel lines. The only one I know of who makes them. I can't recall seeing them anywhere else. I don't have a Phone number yet, but when I find his card, I'll forward it onto you. 610-928-0988 Don't tell him I gave you the number. He doesn't know me, I just bought a few things from him and remembered him. I had his card, but can't find it now. Good Luck!
Terry

Quote:
Are they tapered pipe thread? I have a local hardware store that has a good selection.I'll have to check out B&B. Got a link?

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 07-19-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #19
Chuck Sea/Tac

If you're running pressured fuel then leave B carb stock. If gravity, the remove the baffle . As I recall? I've been using a B for years. Also, as mentioned, like the late 31, the ears a thin, so tighten in increments. Especially,if like me you put a insulating spacer between carb and manifold to help with heat vapor.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #20
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
If you're running pressured fuel then leave B carb stock. If gravity, the remove the baffle . As I recall? I've been using a B for years. Also, as mentioned, like the late 31, the ears a thin, so tighten in increments. Especially,if like me you put a insulating spacer between carb and manifold to help with heat vapor.
Chuck, is one of those 1/4" thick spacers adequate?