Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
banjoQ

Default Hidden water pump bolt/ 8BA

My 36' truck is a mixture of parts, having been put together in 51' with collected components. It sat for fifty years before I got to it and put it back on the road. Been running great until the old radiator sprung another leak. Took radiator out and only then got a good look at the water pumps.As you can see, they were pretty bad. I decided it would make sense to replace them at the same time. My concern is what i have read pertaining to the hidden bolt inside the pump. I have used some acid with a brush sparingly to remove the corrosion and now can see the bolt head and fit a socket onto it. I know to use a six sided socket and to tap the head with a brass drift. Currently soaking with PB Blaster. Are there any other precautions I can take to not break this bolt? Am I worrying too much? Not sure an impact wrench is such a good idea here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated as its too easy to make the wrong move and do more damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.JPG (161.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1126.JPG (105.2 KB, 68 views)
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Hidden water pump bolt/ 8BA

If you can get a socket on it, crank it out. If it breaks, once the pump is removed it is relatively easy to get at and remove as necessary.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
CSArno

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Try it with a 3/8 ratchet first. You might be surprised how easy they come out. Replace with stainless bolts.
My second thought is, if its been running cool and the pumps aren't leaking, why take them off? Could just be opening up a can of worms. Maybe just a good flush is in order.
If it ain't broke...
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Randy1944

I soaked with PB Blaster for about ten days and tapped on it daily-hard. Then I used an Extractor and it finally worked. Good luck!
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
chap52

Its good that you found out about those sneaky hidden bolts before you tried to muscle the pumps off. Like 51-Merc-CT said they are easy to get to after the pumps are removed.if you happen to snap one off.
Good plan to replace them after they sat for so long. Better now than later.
Keep us posted on the project. Enjoy the adventure.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Admiral

So far I've disassembled about five flathead V8s, each in varying condition from freely rotating to beyond rusted solid. I've never had an issue getting these bolts out. With all the rust they look terrifying but -- knock on wood -- I haven't had one snap off yet. If the socket fits firmly you should be good.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Binx

I usually heat it then melt wax behind it and hammer on the best fitting 6-point socket (either sae or metric) then tighten it until it "cracks" then back it out.

OBTW BanjoQ, How's the erosion going? I love the community of Pacifica. Its like heaven on the outskirts of hayhem but it also reminds me of Seward Alaska which has an unpleasant history. I hope your property is safe.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would suggest not using a stainless bolt, they tend to not be near as strong as a high quality Grade bolt. Think about how long these bolts have been in there in totally neglected conditions and then think how long the new bolt will survive if the coolant is properly maintained. I would doubt it will be another 50 or 60 years before the engine is disassembled again, maybe more like 10 or 20 max. And if the coolant is maintained properly it should come out looking like new.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
banjoQ

Well, it sounds. like I am on the right track. There is a chance the pumps are OK but as difficult as it was to get the radiator out, I would be a fool not to replace them. New ones are not that expensive and have improved bearings. The radiator on the other hand is going to hurt. I've priced out getting a catalog new one that I will have to retrofit or recore the one I have and it's about the same. After shipping a new one is about $750 and recoreing is about the same. I would rather give my money to a man who runs a small business locally than a catalog. That's me. I going to have to put on the big boy pants and get those bolts out so I can move on with the project. I miss driving the truck.
Lonnie, the media makes it look worse than it really is. There are a few properties that just might go into the water sooner or later. But it has been going on for years. Thirty years ago there were bluffs as big as football fields behind those buildings. Years of pounding surf has taken its toll and now there is nothing left. They are empty now so no one is at risk, thank goodness. Glad you enjoy our little town, it's a well kept secret
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
Darrell S

I had a post on this last month as I had broken one of the very bolts on the left side. After going through the welding a washer and nut to the broken bolt process and failing, a friend and I were successful in drilling it out and tapping it with a clean out or bottom tap. Today we bolted on the new pumps and put in the new motor mounts.
This bolt was not really that easy to get at as it is so close to the front crossmember. My advice is like the others, give it plenty of soak time with a good penetrant to avoid what I went through.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
banjoQ

UPDATE: I tried to get these bolts out today. Five days of soaking with PB Blaster and tapping them to break the tension. These bolt heads are 1/2" and a six sided socket slips over the corners of the head. I guess the corrosion has compromised the metal to some degree even though they still look like six sided bolts. 7/16" is too small to fit on them. Any ideas on what my options are. I don't think the tin foil trick is going to work though I will try it tomorrow. Thought of tapping on the 7/16" socket, but it does not get over the head enough and would require using the BFH. I know a dark road when I see it and this has the look. Am I looking at drilling these out? If so, what kind of extractor should be used? Should I drill the whole thing out and re-tap? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
37 Cab

Might try these.. Many brands. This is just the first one that came up on a search;
http://www.lowes.com/pd_577634-281-3...11480005188492
Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
FireEngineMike

Sears and others sell sockets designed to grip rounded off nuts and bolt heads. Good tools to have. Tommy beat me to it..
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
banjoQ

Thanks guys, those look like a much better option than hammering a smaller socket on the head. I will check into them tomorrow. Let you know how they work out.Q
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
29AVEE8

Try a 12MM they are .472" also you might try Kroil instead of PB, I find that it works better and smells a lot better. I don't know how much room you have to work with but if the 12MM works and it won't move try an impact a very low pressure. Do you have access to a welder?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Bill Wright

As to your radiator. I had Beko radiator in concord( across the bay) work on mine. Good guy and reasonable.
Johnny Beko
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
banjoQ

AV8- I tried using a couple of my metric sockets, no luck. It is a tight space in there, hoping to be able to get one of the extractor sockets to work. It's OK, I kind of knew I was going to have a time with this job. Trying to keep my cool and not make things worse. Will be worth it in the end. As for the welder, no I don't have one but have friends who can help if need be.
Will check out the radiator shop in Concord, couldn't hurt to see what he can do.

Last edited by banjoQ; 02-10-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There was a recent thread on this same issue with a good outcome. Might search for it.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #19
3quarter32

The 12mm is the closet size under 1/2" 11mm would equal a 7/16" Maybe try a 12mm, 12mm 12point socket instead of the 6 point. It may drive on easier. Had to do stuff like that all the time when I had my H/D shop.
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
slowforty

Vinegar works well on removing rust. Just let it soak a couple of days. For penetrating oil a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works well. A survey on the HAMB site claims the acetone,transmision fluid mix works as well as Kroil or anything else and is a lot cheaper. Time is your friend let the parts soak for a while.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #21
Binx

BanjoQ, As I've seen so far you haven't tried heat. At the very least try a propane torch then hammered-on sockets before you chew the heads up with extractors.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 02-10-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #22
banjoQ

Binx- so you are suggesting to heat the metal of the pump around the bolt, or the bolt itself? Heat makes metal expand, right? You think hammering a socket on there will do less damage than the extractor? I'll go out there tomorrow and clean it of any residual solvents and give it a try. Nothing to lose., will see what happens.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #23
Binx

Heat the head of the bolt for about 5 minutes with a medium flame propane torch. As it cools, touch a birthday cake candle to the casting above the bolt and let it melt behind it. After 5 min, hammer on the tightest fitting 6-point socket (sae or metric) and slightly tighten until you hear a "crack" then turn opposite.

Lonnie
Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with what Binx said in post #21.
If you have a small die grinder or Dremell type tool, go in and try to clean the back wall of the water pump housing around that hex bolt, with a wire brush attachment or maybe some small grinding stones/cutters, without messing up the hex head of the bolt. Apply heat to this cleaned up area on the back wall, around that bolt. If the wall is clean enough to absorb the heat of a torch, then that heat should transfer some into the cast iron on the block that's around the threads of the bolt. It might require more heat than a plumbers propane torch can deliver, so I am thinking an acetylene torch using a small rosebud tip, with gas and air adjusted properly for a good heating flame, but do not apply any extra cutting air. Get that area cherry red, then let it cool down. You might even try some candle wax near the head of the bolt as things cool some and hope it goes into the threads on the bolt. Repeat this heating and cooling cycle a few times before you hammer the correct size metric socket on the bolt head. If you have a hand held impact driver (not talking about an air/electric impact wrench here) that would be your friend here now in getting that bolt to start coming out. Maybe a few cycles of doing a couple impacts to turn the bolt in a tightening direction first, then followed by a couple impacts in the loosening direction, before you try impacting the bolt completely loose enough to back it all the way out. This is what I would suggest doing to get that bolt out in one piece, others here will have their own opinions, I am sure. Good luck, and let us know how it goes .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #25
supereal

Over these many years, I haven't had a problem in getting the bolt in the pump inlet out. A good hardware store should have stainless bolts for replacement. They are as strong, or stronger, than the stock bolts. If the inside of the water pump is as crud encrusted as the picture shows, it is a good bet that the water jacket in the engine is also full of junk.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #26
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
BanjoQ, As I've seen so far you haven't tried heat. At the very least try a propane torch then hammered-on sockets before you chew the heads up with extractors.

Lonnie
The extractor is the best bet. The bolt is junk anyway if you can fit a 1/2" socket on it. The bolt is 3/8 NC with a 9/16 head.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #27
19Fordy

A 3/8 x 16 316 stainless bolt will take a torque load of 247 in. lb. That's 20 foot pounds. The Merc Manual shows that the water pump to block bolts torque is 23 to 28 foot pounds. Would 3 foot pounds be that critical? It would be neat to torque a SS bolt until it begins to deform and then check to see what the torque wrench shows.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-11-2016 at 07:33 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
flatjack9

I don't see the need for stainless steel. These old bolts have been in there for 50 - 80 years and mostly all come out. And undoubtedly they did not have the quality of coolants we have today.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 AM   #29
banjoQ

Well, I had some time today to work on my truck. Threw some heat at the pumps and struck the bolt heads with a piece of bar stock and a hammmer. Got a good grip on the bolts but they would not move. Didn't want to put too much pressure on them, (cheater bar) as they felt like they were ready to snap. Will try an impact wrench tomorrow. Going to have to think on this one. Thanks to all that offered advise. Will keep you all posted.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #30
chap52

Just keep tinkering with it. Don't get frustrated, enjoy the adventure. We've all been there and will no doubt be dealing with a head scratcher again.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #31
scooder

I also don't like the stainless bolts. They are normally made of cheese, the 3lb does make a difference of your 3lb over the rating of the bolt. We have to remember these are water pumps and motor mounts.
You need to use antisize on the stainless or they gall then lock up then snap. As Jack said, the regular ones have worked for over half a century.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
Mart

If you remove the other bolts, moving the water pump as far from side to side as it can go might help a bit. I know it might not move very far, but moving the pump all the way to the right then moving it to the left as you turn the bolt to the left may just help. I would also try turning the bolt clockwise before turning in the undo-ing direction. A 12mm socket hammered on will get a grip and the hammering will also help.

You might as well just go for it and see if you can get them to turn. If they break they break. Then the welding repairs can begin. I would definitely try clockwise then anti clockwise in very small increments though, repeating many times. If it moves you might be able to get it free enough to come out.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #33
Ronnie

You are at a point that all you can do now is grip the bolt and remove it .One of two things are going to happen. The bolt comes out or it breaks. After this operation you know your next move.There isn't anything more to do get that pump off.Breaking the bolt is just another learning curve when it comes to repairing one of these old flatties.
You have spent more time reading and replying to these posts that it would take to pull on a breaker bar and get to step number 2.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #34
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
You are at a point that all you can do now is grip the bolt and remove it .One of two things are going to happen. The bolt comes out or it breaks. After this operation you know your next move.There isn't anything more to do get that pump off.Breaking the bolt is just another learning curve when it comes to repairing one of these old flatties.
You have spent more time reading and replying to these posts that it would take to pull on a breaker bar and get to step number 2.

R
Totally agree, Too much 'hemming and hawing'
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #35
Jack E/NJ

I agree too --- as long as he didn't forget to heat it, candle-wax it and bang it hard a half dozen or so times. Maybe even a dozen times. Unless of course he's in a hurry with all kinds of more important stuff he's gotta do too. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #36
JM 35 Sedan

Unfortunately, the above "Monday Morning Quarterbacking posts" on a Friday is of no help either. Where were you folks at when this thread started, when you could have advised him to just wrench the damn bolt off from the begining?? Criticism is always the easiest solution, at the end of the day, for those who were not helping in any way from the begining!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #37
banjoQ

No worries boys, I don't take these comments in a bad way. I'm the one who is learning here and I understand. I hope you all know that those of us in the learning phase appreciate all you have to share. If we were talking about three finger roll patterns or cross picking a mandolin I would be the one with advice. Ill keep pressing on and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again, Q
Old 02-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #38
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Unfortunately, the above "Monday Morning Quarterbacking posts" on a Friday is of no help either. Where were you folks at when this thread started, when you could have advised him to just wrench the damn bolt off from the begining?? Criticism is always the easiest solution, at the end of the day, for those who were not helping in any way from the begining!!
Perhaps you should have read post#2. Is that close enough to the beginning?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

BanjoQ, I just sent you a PM on this. Give this at least another try before you follow some of the previous advice here to just break this bolt off. Let us know how it goes....and good luck to ya man Over and out on this one

Old 02-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #40
Walt Dupont--Me.

Building engine. I always use stainless bolts in that bottom hole and coat it good with (never size). Might help in the next 50 years. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #41
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Perhaps you should have read post#2. Is that close enough to the beginning?
You got that rite 51
39 posts later and we still don't have it out yet.Monday morning quarterbacks omg now what."Really" wtf break that bolt off and start a new thread and learn how to remove a broken bolt. "LOL"

R
Old 02-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #42
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
You got that rite 51
39 posts later and we still don't have it out yet.Monday morning quarterbacks omg now what."Really" wtf break that bolt off and start a new thread and learn how to remove a broken bolt. "LOL"

R
Ronnie NAILED IT!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #43
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Apparently some people are FAR more patient than I am! No way I would spend more than half a day taking an engine apart. It would come apart one way or the other in my hands!!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #44
Binx

Guys, it's an installed engine in his garage. He just wants to change his water pumps. Let's help him do that without the cost of to-and-from tow with machine shop in-between or even mobile welding service. Geeze!

Lonnie
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #45
Ronnie

Well Binx tell how you would fix it? What magic potion do you recommend?
"Just sayin"

R
Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #46
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Guys, it's an installed engine in his garage. He just wants to change his water pumps. Let's help him do that without the cost of to-and-from tow with machine shop in-between or even mobile welding service. Geeze!

Lonnie
Lonnie - With the engine installed, I wonder how he was able to take the pictures as seen in his post #1. It must be that the radiator is removed? If this is the case, then I don't see any difference with the engine being in or out of the truck - seems that access to the bolt would be the about same....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #47
Ronnie

None of this changes anything the pump must come off.
What is so hard about that?

R
Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #48
Binx

I think he's on the right track with a rattle gun and tight socket. I'd use only an impact socket because of the added flyweight and grind the nose of the socket flat for max contact.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 02-12-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #49
jimvette59

Drill the head off , take the pump off and use a vice grip to remove the threaded portion of the bolt.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #50
Jack E/NJ

Binx>>>nose of the socket flat>>>

What's a socket-flat nose look like?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #51
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Binx>>>nose of the socket flat>>>

What's a socket-flat nose look like?

Jack E/NJ

Crap! The semantics police have caught me.

Let me start again....

Grind the terminal HEXAGON wall opening of the socket perpendicular to the HEXAGON internal sidewall to eliminate any radius or chamfer to ensure maximum sidewall contact with fastener (bolt).

how'z that?

Lonnie
Old 02-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #52
Lanny

Lonnie, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Click on picture to Enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg socket comparison.jpg (46.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #53
Binx

Thanks Lanny!

Lonnie
Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 AM   #54
Mart

Good call on the socket grinding, some of the el cheapos have a very pronounced chamfer.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #55
Ronnie

Bump to top it has been 10 days surely there must be an outcome??

R
Old 02-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #56
41LjH

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoQ View Post
Well, it sounds. like I am on the right track. There is a chance the pumps are OK but as difficult as it was to get the radiator out, I would be a fool not to replace them. New ones are not that expensive and have improved bearings. The radiator on the other hand is going to hurt. I've priced out getting a catalog new one that I will have to retrofit or recore the one I have and it's about the same. After shipping a new one is about $750 and recoreing is about the same. I would rather give my money to a man who runs a small business locally than a catalog. That's me. I going to have to put on the big boy pants and get those bolts out so I can move on with the project. I miss driving the truck.
Lonnie, the media makes it look worse than it really is. There are a few properties that just might go into the water sooner or later. But it has been going on for years. Thirty years ago there were bluffs as big as football fields behind those buildings. Years of pounding surf has taken its toll and now there is nothing left. They are empty now so no one is at risk, thank goodness. Glad you enjoy our little town, it's a well kept secret
Check ebay for a aluminum offshore unit. Unless you'r a puriest that's the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #57
banjoQ

Sorry boys, been real busy with work. Sometimes being self employed has its drawbacks. Here's the update- pumps came off, but not without a fight. One came out on its own with heat and a hammer. The other broke off at the head of the bolt. Got the pump off and then went to work on what was left of the bolt. New ones from Speedway and the radiator was recored by a shop in San Carlos. NFI here, but Howard Radiator is the only shop on the Peninsula that works on them anymore. These guys are very familiar with the old Fords and other makes. Their parking lot looked like a fantasy used car lot to me. High quality workmanship , a bit pricey. "If your gonna play, your gonna pay". Money well spent, won't have to do it again. Trying to get new stats from All Ford in Campbell. Dropped by last week and ordered them. Should be in today or tomorrow. With luck, I should be driving the Ol' Blue truck by Saturday.
Thanks again to all that weighed in on this problem. Your patience with me is greatly appreciated. Its kind of hard to make headway on a project by grabbing an hour here and there. But you know that , I'm sure. Thnx, Q
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #58
29AVEE8

Did you get the broken bolt out?
Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #59
banjoQ

Yup, it came out much easier with the pump out of the way. Able to apply heat directly to the area. Cleaned up the threads and put the new ones in. Going to pick up the thermostats tomorrow and start putting back together.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #60
29AVEE8

Well done.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #61
JM 35 Sedan

Excellent news banjo! Having enough of that broken bolt left outside the block, and getting the right amount of heat into the cast iron surrounding that bolt were your two best bets for getting the rest of that bolt to come out. If that bolt had broken flush or subflush with the block surface it would have been time to go with mig welding a washer to the bolt and a nut to the washer trick, which is great, IF you just happened to have a Mig welder handy, and knew exactly how to use it in this perticular case. Another option would have been drilling it out in steps of increasing drill bit diameter until you reached the threads in the block. Anyway, it looks like you're on a roll to getting back on the road.